Baffling mark

ArtMan

HV9589 has me kinda flummoxed. The description of the station mark puts it a half-mile from the coordinates, where another station is located. The mark found at the station coordinates meets the description of the azimuth mark. What on earth is going on here, or is ArtMan spending too much time looking for survey disks in the hot sun?

Here's my take on it:

HV9674 (GPS 65) is a regular survey disk which you found. If you read its datasheet, its azimuth mark is HV9589 (BELMONT). Although azimuth marks do not often have their own entry, when they do they usually have descriptions copied from the primary mark. Thus the to reach for BELMONT sends you to GPS 65 (the primary mark) and only later gives the azimuth mark info almost as an after thought. But here is what I think is key: the description for GPS 65 says it is stamped GPS 65 1990 which is what you found on the stake. The description for BELMONT omits this (despite being a copy up to that point) and then indicates the azimuth mark is stamped BELMONT 1988 which is what you found. So I think that what you found is indeed HV9589 BELMONT.

by the way, the answer to your last question is also "yes".... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Here's my take on it:

HV9674 (GPS 65) is a regular survey disk which you found. If you read its datasheet, its azimuth mark is HV9589 (BELMONT). Although azimuth marks do not often have their own entry, when they do they usually have descriptions copied from the primary mark. Thus the to reach for BELMONT sends you to GPS 65 (the primary mark) and only later gives the azimuth mark info almost as an after thought. But here is what I think is key: the description for GPS 65 says it is stamped GPS 65 1990 which is what you found on the stake. The description for BELMONT omits this (despite being a copy up to that point) and then indicates the azimuth mark is stamped BELMONT 1988 which is what you found. So I think that what you found is indeed HV9589 BELMONT.

by the way, the answer to your last question is also "yes".... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Its clear from the stamping that you found Belmont. Keep in mind that the stations in this area are relatively new and were set using GPS rather than conventional methods. Therefore, the term azimuth mark has a somewhat different meaning. In conventional work, azimuth marks and reference marks are set but not occupied, so they have no precisely measured location and can only be used in conjunction with the tri-station to which they are attached. If the tri-station is lost, one of these marks may be selected and upgraded to replace it. When doing GPS however, every marker is occupied and has its own precise location, therefore any marker can be used as an azimuth mark in conjunction with any other marker. This also means that every marker has its own PID. Note that GPS 62 RM, for example, is not merely a reference mark, as its name would seem to indicate, but has its own PID. All the markers in the area appear to have been surveyed by a private firm, and its always possible that somehow the data got mixed up and the coordinates of one point are on the sheet with the description of a different point. One of them, GPS 65, appears to have been used by another firm just last year, and they do not note any problem with its coordinates. Its usually pretty easy to figure out what sort of data mix up may have occured, by simply locating all the points involved and verifying the stamping and also that the distance and direction between them matches whats given on the sheet.