Is there a MapSource version for Apple/Mac?

Hello there,

I am the happy owner of a brand new iMac and I was wondering if there is a MapSource version for Mac? I know about converting the existing maps into a Mac format (did that), but I cannot find anywhere a MapSource Mac-compatible. When I installed the MapInstaller on my Mac, it imported the maps and then prompted me for a device to upload the maps. I don't want to do that! I want to be able to see the maps on my screen, create waypoints, search for addresses or POIs, select the maps that I need for the trip and then upload only those to my Garmin.

Am I talking science-fiction here? Or is there something out-there that is Mac-compatible? I searched the forum but what I found was either non-relevant, or too old (2007)

Many thanks in advance for your answers.

Laurentiu

Hello there,

I am the happy owner of a brand new iMac and I was wondering if there is a MapSource version for Mac? I know about converting the existing maps into a Mac format (did that), but I cannot find anywhere a MapSource Mac-compatible. When I installed the MapInstaller on my Mac, it imported the maps and then prompted me for a device to upload the maps. I don't want to do that! I want to be able to see the maps on my screen, create waypoints, search for addresses or POIs, select the maps that I need for the trip and then upload only those to my Garmin.

Am I talking science-fiction here? Or is there something out-there that is Mac-compatible? I searched the forum but what I found was either non-relevant, or too old (2007)

Many thanks in advance for your answers.

Laurentiu

Here 'tis: http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/index.jsp

The equivalents, anyway. :surprise: Basecamp is the the rough equivalent of Mapsource.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

The equivalents, anyway. :surprise: Basecamp is the the rough equivalent of Mapsource.

Thanks,

I saw this yesterday, but I was under the impression that this was dedicated to topo maps only (that's what confused me... well... it was pretty late at night too).

Can this be used to upload maps onto my Garmin too? Or is it only for managing waypoints, tracks and routes? Garmin, as usual, makes wonderful products but does not excel in explaining things to their customers.

Thanks,

I saw this yesterday, but I was under the impression that this was dedicated to topo maps only (that's what confused me... well... it was pretty late at night too).

Can this be used to upload maps onto my Garmin too? Or is it only for managing waypoints, tracks and routes? Garmin, as usual, makes wonderful products but does not excel in explaining things to their customers.

Basecamp initially worked with Topo maps only but Garmin has since made it work with other mapsets as well.

To tell you the truth, I use Parallels Desktop for Mac on my iMac and keep Mapsource on the Win 7 side, ready to load maps with because I find the Mac methods hard to get used to. MapInstall is the way to load maps on the Mac side, I think.

Parallels is great because you can run both operating systems simultaneously, and copy and paste between them, which is pretty cool.

RoadTrip to view maps and work waypoints, tracks, routes

MapManager to load the map products onto your Mac

MapInstall select/load them onto the GPS

I consider myself well above the average person when it comes to computers (well.. PC's until three days ago). But I either do something wrong, or I I have a missing link somewhere.

I converted my maps (Metro Guide Canada/USA/Europe) into the Garmin format using the MapConverter

I installed MapManager on my Mac and installed my new Mac-compatible maps.

I installed Basecamp on my Mac and the only thing that I see is the default map of USA without any other details. I deleted MapManager and MapInstall and reloaded, going again through the install process. I still cannot see my maps in Basecamp.

What am I doing wrong? I have to admit, I have not installed RoadTrip yet. Do the road maps work with RoadTrip only and not with BaseCamp?

As a last resort, I would buy Parallels and install Windows, but I heard people saying that they installed their maps on Mac and can now work with them. That's why I would not give up so quickly.

Any answer is much appreciated.

Laurentiu

I consider myself well above the average person when it comes to computers (well.. PC's until three days ago). But I either do something wrong, or I I have a missing link somewhere.

I converted my maps (Metro Guide Canada/USA/Europe) into the Garmin format using the MapConverter

I installed MapManager on my Mac and installed my new Mac-compatible maps.

I installed Basecamp on my Mac and the only thing that I see is the default map of USA without any other details. I deleted MapManager and MapInstall and reloaded, going again through the install process. I still cannot see my maps in Basecamp.

What am I doing wrong? I have to admit, I have not installed RoadTrip yet. Do the road maps work with RoadTrip only and not with BaseCamp?

As a last resort, I would buy Parallels and install Windows, but I heard people saying that they installed their maps on Mac and can now work with them. That's why I would not give up so quickly.

Any answer is much appreciated.

Laurentiu

That is because you have the release version of BaseCamp v2.0.1 for Macintosh. You will need BaseCamp v2.1.1β for Macintosh to use your other maps. It works a lot better than the Windows version, I have both. Edited by coggins

I have just received the answer from Garmin now.

They say...

the Mac equivalent version of mapsource is called Roadtrip and it can be downloaded from our website. Here is the link to the software http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4331

I'll give it a try tonight when I get home and see how it works.

Thanks to all who answered my question.

Edited:

I installed last night Roadtrip and it picked up the maps converted and installed prior without any problems. It looks different than Mapsource and I haven't tried to upload any maps yet on my GPS but at least I can see everything on my Mac.

Thanks again to all of you.

Edited by Laurontario