Etiquette: A cache without a home

remiquest

Today i went for a quick run on my lunch and came across a cache that had obviously been removed from it's hiding spot. The Cahce was lying on the ground surrounded by trash and wood shavings, park workers were on the other side of the park trimming branches and cutting down dead trees. My suspision was that they were planning to come back and clean most of the trash up, cache included. There weren't any obviously places to stash the cache in the near vacinity due to the new lack of trees and the size of the cache, so I took it with me. The cache itself is in great shape and just needs to find a new hiding spot. I wasn't sure about taking the cache, but thought I would rather take it and message the owner(which I did) and not risk having the park service throw it away. Was this the "right" way to handle the situation?

Sounds like you did just fine. It seems likely that it was hidden in the trees and the maintenance had dislodged it. Taking it and contacting the owner was the right approach. I hope you also left a 'note' on the cache page that you took it so any future seekers will be aware until the owner can respond.

Sounds like you did just fine. It seems likely that it was hidden in the trees and the maintenance had dislodged it. Taking it and contacting the owner was the right approach. I hope you also left a 'note' on the cache page that you took it so any future seekers will be aware until the owner can respond.

+1

How DARE you remove a cache container that belongs to someone else! You should have left it in place and let the owner decide how to fix the problem. How do you know that it wasn't in the correct spot already? I swear, it's these types of hiders trying to "fix" my hiding spots that really drive me nuts as a cache owner.

I'm only kidding, of course. We have to get the required amount of bashing going on to keep up the unfriendly reputation of the forums. :surprise:

I agree that you did the best thing in the situation and hopefully you'll hear from the owner soon and can arrange a drop-off to get the cache hidden again somewhere else.

I think you did the right thing. The other day I found one that had been muggled, the contents were scattered on the ground and looking in the trash can nearby, I found the container laying on top. I replaced the contents and hid the cache, then wrote the owner and let them know where I had put it. Your way works too and is probably more acceptable.