Feature wanted

hawleyj

I am really ambivalent about geocaching.com and continuing to pay dues to a site that almost seems designed to deliberately frustrate members.

I am going somewhere - thought it would be nice to grab caches for the area I will visit. I use the map search option simply because it is so visual and I can zoom in or out to the scale that seems best and see all the caches in that area.

Now here is a crazy idea - how about a button that would generate a pocket query for all the caches visible on the map. Geocaching.com knows exactly how many and which ones I am looking at - it tells me how many and displays their basic info on the same page.

I mean, how freaking obvious a feature would that be? So, why doesn't it exist? What the heck are premium members paying for?

And why am I sounding so angry? Because when I try to do a forum search for "pocket query from map" I get hit with that STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID error message that I cant use words shorter than five letters in a query. One of the key words that HAS to be in the query is MAP, dammit! I have never seen such a restriction on a query search - ever ever ever. Again, its as if the geocaching.com programmers are deliberately trying to anger users. ( I realize thats not the case but it doesn't make the frustration any less every time I bump up against what seems like bs feature. )

So, while I'm here ranting - does anyone know how to EASILY generate a pocket query for just the caches displayed on a map page?

Thanks

I am really ambivalent about geocaching.com and continuing to pay dues to a site that almost seems designed to deliberately frustrate members.

I am going somewhere - thought it would be nice to grab caches for the area I will visit. I use the map search option simply because it is so visual and I can zoom in or out to the scale that seems best and see all the caches in that area.

Now here is a crazy idea - how about a button that would generate a pocket query for all the caches visible on the map. Geocaching.com knows exactly how many and which ones I am looking at - it tells me how many and displays their basic info on the same page.

I mean, how freaking obvious a feature would that be? So, why doesn't it exist? What the heck are premium members paying for?

And why am I sounding so angry? Because when I try to do a forum search for "pocket query from map" I get hit with that STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID error message that I cant use words shorter than five letters in a query. One of the key words that HAS to be in the query is MAP, dammit! I have never seen such a restriction on a query search - ever ever ever. Again, its as if the geocaching.com programmers are deliberately trying to anger users. ( I realize thats not the case but it doesn't make the frustration any less every time I bump up against what seems like bs feature. )

So, while I'm here ranting - does anyone know how to EASILY generate a pocket query for just the caches displayed on a map page?

Thanks

I'm a Software Engineer and often get requests from end users with a very similar level of angst and disrespect. Those requests usually get ignored and put at the end of the list. If you are really interested in helping make things better, pehaps re-evaluating your approach would be in order?

If you click on a Geocaching.com Google map from any cache page, one of the options in the legend to the right of the map is create pocket query:

Premium Member Filters: (Upgrade)

Hide My Finds

Hide My Caches

Create Pocket Query

Also, your post is a mix of apples and oranges. These forums are barely creaking along on some old software. They're in bad shape. The search function has all but been disabled, to keep them working. That's not a programming function of Geocaching.com, however. Some kind of forum upgrade is supposed to be in the future.

Aside from asking questions in the forums, try using the Resources link > to the Knowledge Books. Searchable, though I don't think you'd find this feature there.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

did it ever occur to you to take a look at: [ Advanced Usage Help ] ?...right bellow the search box

but since you seem to be so knowledgeable, that there is not one single forum software out there that has a good working search function

but i am willing to bet that we will not see you replying to this thread again :surprise:

Edited by t4e
And why am I sounding so angry? Because when I try to do a forum search for "pocket query from map" I get hit with that STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID error message that I cant use words shorter than five letters in a query. One of the key words that HAS to be in the query is MAP, dammit! I have never seen such a restriction on a query search - ever ever ever.

And a little perusal brought up this timely thread that started just under two weeks ago discussing the issue of search limitations in the forum.

So I wonder what type of jam goes well with foot?

I know I hate it when I rant about something not existing and it has been right in front of my face all along. That is one of the reasons I try not to rant in public.

Keep your words sweet, because there's a good chance you may have to eat them. - Earl Pickles

Use the site specific feature of google to search the forums. Works nicely.

Unfortunately I don't think Google can index the Geocaching.com Web Site or Off Topic forums since you have to be logged in (and a PM in the case of OT) to view them.

Edited by Yossarian

Unfortunately I don't think Google can index the Geocaching.com Web Site forum since you have to be logged in to view it.

I do not believe you need to be logged in to view the forums. You need to be logged in as a premium member to see certain forums.

Unfortunately I don't think Google can index the Geocaching.com Web Site forum since you have to be logged in to view it.

I do not believe you need to be logged in to view the forums. You need to be logged in as a premium member to see certain forums.

I just tested it. The Geocaching.com Web Site and Off Topic forums don't show up in the forums list when you're logged out and aren't accessible when you're logged out even if you have the url's to those forums or threads within.

Hey, cut this guy some slack. The website is darn complicated. Those of us who have been using it over the years have just gotten used to all the linky thingies on every page.

There's no site map, no search function, and it's not terribly intuitive to chase down the Knowledge Books - which do have a search function, but like the "Keyword Search" it's literal. If you don't use exactly the correct search terms, no results.

Search: Change and User and name (0)

I was there recently, trying to find the link to the article about changing user name. Couldn't find it, because it's "username", not user name. Lordy.

Heck, I entered the EXACT TITLE of an article, and got no results! oh and here's another good one:

Search: editing and coords (0)

the only way i've found to get around the 5-letter limitation is by using wildcards to combine words. for example, the OP could've searched for "pocket*query*map", which seems to give meaningful results. but this method is extremely non-intuitive and i tried a couple of other methods before, none of which worked.

but you still have to sift through the search results to find a thread or post that actually answers your question. given the slow page loading times and even slower search times around here, it may actually be faster to just create a new thread, ask and wait for a reply :smile:

Edited by dfx

If you click on a Geocaching.com Google map from any cache page, one of the options in the legend to the right of the map is create pocket query:

Premium Member Filters: (Upgrade)

Yes, but it takes you to the vanilla pocket query page. There is no transfer of the set of caches that you just viewing on the map.

Hide My Finds

Hide My Caches

Create Pocket Query

Also, your post is a mix of apples and oranges. These forums are barely creaking along on some old software. They're in bad shape. The search function has all but been disabled, to keep them working. That's not a programming function of Geocaching.com, however. Some kind of forum upgrade is supposed to be in the future.

Aside from asking questions in the forums, try using the Resources link > to the Knowledge Books. Searchable, though I don't think you'd find this feature there.

Is this the option you're looking for? When you click on that, you'll add the filters you'd like to the Pocket Query - the less you put on, the more caches you'll receive based on what you see on the map.

f3b85d6e-8119-473f-8eac-765a49ebc696.jpg

No, that wont do it. Look at your own example. You are looking at a map of an area and there are 20 caches shown. If you click on the "create pocket query" you don't get what you would hope for - a preformed query which will return just the 20 caches that were showing. What you get is a transfer to the basic pocket query page where you must start from scratch. In fact, I doubt that it would even be possible to generate a query that matched the map, and even if so, only after extensive effort. I just want to click on a link that gives me a pocket query for the caches shown on the map I am viewing.

If I am wrong in my conclusions, please show me how you would generate a pocket query that returned the 20 caches showing on the map in your example.

If you click on the "create pocket query" you don't get what you would hope for - a preformed query which will return just the 20 caches that were showing. What you get is a transfer to the basic pocket query page where you must start from scratch. In fact, I doubt that it would even be possible to generate a query that matched the map, and even if so, only after extensive effort. I just want to click on a link that gives me a pocket query for the caches shown on the map I am viewing.

If I am wrong in my conclusions, please show me how you would generate a pocket query that returned the 20 caches showing on the map in your example.

That PQ page should be pre-set to be centered on the map center, with the radius approximately fitting the map you're on. You won't get those specific 20 caches, you will get all the caches in that area.

The only way to get a PQ with a fixed list of specific caches is to put those caches on a bookmark list and generate the PQ from that list.

Is this the option you're looking for? When you click on that, you'll add the filters you'd like to the Pocket Query - the less you put on, the more caches you'll receive based on what you see on the map.

f3b85d6e-8119-473f-8eac-765a49ebc696.jpg

No, that wont do it. Look at your own example. You are looking at a map of an area and there are 20 caches shown. If you click on the "create pocket query" you don't get what you would hope for - a preformed query which will return just the 20 caches that were showing. What you get is a transfer to the basic pocket query page where you must start from scratch. In fact, I doubt that it would even be possible to generate a query that matched the map, and even if so, only after extensive effort. I just want to click on a link that gives me a pocket query for the caches shown on the map I am viewing.

True - it isn't going to be EXACTLY the caches on the rectangular map. But it does center you for a PQ with all the other criteria available on the center of that map - and you can easily get the caches shown plus maybe a few more Just with the defaulted options. Seems like not such a big deal to me.

Despite the high levels of backlash about hawleyj's 'attitude', I think we should look past that and talk about what a great suggestion he has. I'd LOVE an option to get a list of caches like this from a map at the level of zoom I'm at, filtered by my selections.

Despite the high levels of backlash about hawleyj's 'attitude', I think we should look past that and talk about what a great suggestion he has. I'd LOVE an option to get a list of caches like this from a map at the level of zoom I'm at, filtered by my selections.

See above. It's already possible. You may get 2 or 3 extraneous caches because PQs use a radius, not a rectangular area, but 99% of what you're describing is already there.

See above. It's already possible. You may get 2 or 3 extraneous caches because PQs use a radius, not a rectangular area, but 99% of what you're describing is already there.

I decided to go try this and see for myself what happens.

I pulled up a map of an area where I knew there were different cache types and a mix of caches I had found and not found. I then clicked the option to only show me traditionals I had not found. Then I clicked the linky to make a PQ. The PQ form came up with coordinates corresponding to the center of the map and the radius set to 3 miles which roughly corresponds to the zoom level of th emap I was looking at. However, NO selection criteria pre-entered. The resulting PQ gave me all cache types whether I found them or not.

Granted, it is not a big deal to go in and make those selections, but it would be cool if the selection criteria did populate the selection criteria for the PQ for you. It would be even better if more criteria were placed on the mapping screen (size, status, age, etc.).

Granted, it is not a big deal to go in and make those selections, but it would be cool if the selection criteria did populate the selection criteria for the PQ for you. It would be even better if more criteria were placed on the mapping screen (size, status, age, etc.).
It would also be nice, if that PQ, and the map for that matter, offered to remove Temporarly Unavailable caches.
It would also be nice, if that PQ, and the map for that matter, offered to remove Temporarly Unavailable caches.

If you use Firefox and Greasemonkey, Lil Devil just published two new scripts that are fantastic. One does that and SO much more with the maps. Check out the thread HERE.