Bolt Cache Containers

I was thinking about trying to make some bolt style cache containers and I would like to know who has tried to make them and what are the best ways to make them.

cut the last half inch off the bolt your gonna use, thread it halfway into the nut and jb weld it, drill the hole in the cut side of the bolt, don't go to big with the counter bore just deep enough to hold the log, thread the other side on, bam! bolt cache lathe would be best, but a hack saw and drill would totally work

First get a large bolt.

I cut it in half about in the middle of the threads.

I drill the bolt so a bison will fit inside.

I take a nut , abbly locktite, and screw halfway on the undrilled bolt section.

Let locktite set up, insert bison w/ log and assemble.

Two addenda.

First, screw the nut onto the bolt prior to cutting it. Once it has been cut, unscrew the nut. This will clean up the threads a bit.

Second, you will need to do something to help the container be watertight. Cutting a rubber circle and gluing it into the nut/cut bolt assembly is probably the easiest and best way.

Biggest gripe I have on Bolt caches is they tiny amount of space for a log. Worse if you have to bag it to keep it dry.

I recommend looking in toy stores for plastic construction toys, which are usually hollow and afford a lot more room. Add some spray paint to give it a rusty look and you're set.

Here are some intended for bird to play with.

http://www.parrotasylum.com/catalog/item/4831096/4872055.htm

Second, you will need to do something to help the container be watertight. Cutting a rubber circle and gluing it into the nut/cut bolt assembly is probably the easiest and best way.
Your local hardware store will have rubber gaskets in enough sizes that you can probably buy one the proper size to fit snugly inside the nut & do exactly that.

Your way will probably be less expensive.

Biggest gripe I have on Bolt caches is they tiny amount of space for a log. Worse if you have to bag it to keep it dry.

I recommend looking in toy stores for plastic construction toys, which are usually hollow and afford a lot more room. Add some spray paint to give it a rusty look and you're set.

Here are some intended for bird to play with.

http://www.parrotasylum.com/catalog/item/4831096/4872055.htm

Nuts_and_Bolts.jpg

Very interesting. Can you request which shapes you get?

-Don't weld it. That will stick out and give it away. Use an adhesive like JB Weld.

-Don't worry about water or moisture. Just use a log that is impervious to water. I use Tyvek log sheets for sensitive logs. You can also buy the Rite in the Rain stuff although I have never tried it.

-Don't weld it. That will stick out and give it away. Use an adhesive like JB Weld.

-Don't worry about water or moisture. Just use a log that is impervious to water. I use Tyvek log sheets for sensitive logs. You can also buy the Rite in the Rain stuff although I have never tried it.

Or weld it and file it flat.

<--- has made fake bolt heads for escape artists.

The few bolt caches I've found have had ragged wet logs. Maybe one of the above responses results in a waterproof container. :smile:
How about these two:
...you will need to do something to help the container be watertight. Cutting a rubber circle and gluing it into the nut/cut bolt assembly is probably the easiest and best way.
Your local hardware store will have rubber gaskets in enough sizes that you can probably buy one the proper size to fit snugly inside the nut & do exactly that.

I've never been satisfied with the "don't worry if it gets wet, just use tyvek" responses. I think of tyvek and other 'waterproof' papers as more of a second line of defense. Keeping the water out of the cache is still of primary importance.

I'm not sure about other waterproof papers.

You can soak Tyvek and it will dry without harm. You can constantly keep it wet and it won't affect it at all. I have used it for two of my caches that are sensitive micros. I have had lots of finds and no problems with the logs. Some have commented that it is soaked, but it doesn't hurt it.

Ideally you want to have a dry cache log. But in an instance of having a sensitive cache like a bolt cache, a waterproof log would be great. Besides, how many containers really keep the logs dry? It will get wet from people taking it out. It will be raining or snowy sometime and it will get wet. Then the moisture just stays in the log.