Personal Mileage Tracking Coin

wolfslady

I saw that some people have a coin that they carry with them and dip to keep track of their mileage. I would like to do this. My question is what is the etiquette for doing that for caches you discovered before you had the coin? I hadn’t considered doing it, but the one coin I saw that used that way said in it’s description that they had gone back and done that. It would be great to have a record of my first 50 caches (that’s how many I had before I got the coin) but I don’t want to do something that is considered (shady, vulgar, rude) or anything else.

Is there a protocol for this? I tried to do a search but couldn’t really find anything. Thank you

There are several things that can be done to coins that could be considered vulgar or rude:

1. Stealing

2. Dismantling

3. using them as skipping stones

I don't think that recording your mileage would be considered one of them.... just write a note on the cache page (instead of a find log)... that way it doesn't mess with your find count.

I saw that some people have a coin that they carry with them and dip to keep track of their mileage. I would like to do this. My question is what is the etiquette for doing that for caches you discovered before you had the coin? I hadn’t considered doing it, but the one coin I saw that used that way said in it’s description that they had gone back and done that. It would be great to have a record of my first 50 caches (that’s how many I had before I got the coin) but I don’t want to do something that is considered (shady, vulgar, rude) or anything else.

Is there a protocol for this? I tried to do a search but couldn’t really find anything. Thank you

Sure you can, but keep in mind it can be very tedious work doing all that back-logging!

Just post a Note dropping the coin using the date you visited the cache and give a brief explanation of what you are doing. Once you post you will be given the option to delete the log. You can delete the cache log without affecting the coin tracking.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Sure you can, but keep in mind it can be very tedious work doing all that back-logging!

Just post a Note dropping the coin using the date you visited the cache and give a brief explanation of what you are doing. Once you post you will be given the option to delete the log. You can delete the cache log without affecting the coin tracking.

If any of those caches - or future ones for that matter - were or are EarthCaches then tracking your mileage goes out of the window so to speak as you cannot deposit anything into an EarthCache. I have a personal mileage coin but it excludes my EarthCache finds unfortuantely. :unsure:

Thank you everyone. I'd better get started, before I do too many more caches. I have 2 from yesterday that I still need to log, but I was busy with my DS last night. He took a late nap and just wouldn't go to sleep. I like to give most of my logs a bit more than TFTC as a note, but really how much can you say for those LPC's that I sometimes I decide to pick up because I'm either right there or just bored? I think more effort deserves more.

Some people people do use their traveler to journal but your cache log won't be on your coin. It's up to you what you want to put on the backlog but to may as well just start your journey log on the most recent adventure. Maybe say a bit more on the special cache you previously found that you want to remember.

When you write the note and drop your coin - it should just state the following:

"Dipping for mileage"

That way the cache owner and any others who may be watching the cache you are dipping in will not go out to try to retrieve it.

~J

what's the point?...the coin will never show up in that cache, you drop it in and retrieve it right away <_<

When you write the note and drop your coin - it should just state the following:

"Dipping for mileage"

That way the cache owner and any others who may be watching the cache you are dipping in will not go out to try to retrieve it.

~J

what's the point?...the coin will never show up in that cache, you drop it in and retrieve it right away :rolleyes:

Yes please do it that way. Deposit and then remove, I mean. I've seen some people use their mileage coins by just depositing and leaving it there, then depositing it into the next one without ever retrieving it from the last. I find it frustrating because I especially like going after caches with coins in them and I don't like having to look up the TB page just to make sure it's actually there. (of course I have to anyway because so many of them have been logged into caches for who knows how long without actually being there.... but still :))

As to the OPs original question, with ours we just started logging with the coin on the next cache after we got it, but I've never heard of anyone being against backlogging :D

I have a few "rotating" dipping coins that I use. When I am doing the coin for mileage (typically during caching runs) I use the following method:

1. Drop the coin during cache log.

- or - write note (stating dipping coin for mileage) then delete note

2. Retrieve coin in trackable page.

The coins details also state that it is a personal trackable and it will not be found in any cache.

Thank you everyone. I finally finished and have everything up to date as of yesterday morning. I need to log the cache I visited yesterday. (Well 2 if you cound the virtual I found.) It was much easier than I thought. I did try to highlight my favorite caches and love that if I want to find a story I can go to my coins page and not have to try and remember the name or date of the cache. I've decided to find a coin for my DS too, but I will likely only back date a few special ones. I haven't even gotten a chance to go back and log some of those for him, because it didn't occur to me to get him an account at first.

If anyone wants to visit my coin page here is a link.

If any of those caches - or future ones for that matter - were or are EarthCaches then tracking your mileage goes out of the window so to speak as you cannot deposit anything into an EarthCache. I have a personal mileage coin but it excludes my EarthCache finds unfortuantely. :laughing:

It it's really important to you, you can make a Cache listing at the location of the earthcache and just never publish it. You'll still be able to dip the coin in there.

"Dipping for mileage"

~J

what's the point?...the coin will never show up in that cache, you drop it in and retrieve it right away :laughing:

The point is that they will receive the note dropping the coin, but no logs stating that it was not still there. if someone drops a traveler, and no one logs a visit after that, one would expect the traveler to still be there.