re: setting up a webcam cache

I am looking for info on setting up a Webcam cache. I have a Linksys model wvc54gca ethernet network webcam with sound. I have the webcam setup and working on my home network. But I never setup a live streaming webcam on the internet before. Any info would be gratefully received.

Edited by steve kc7byp

Unfortunately, webcam caches are no longer published on GC.com.

From the Guidelines

Virtual Caches and Webcam Caches

These are special categories of caches that ask the seeker to find a pre-existing item to log. We are no longer accepting new Virtual Caches or Webcam Caches. Caches which existed before November 2005 have been allowed to remain as grandfathered caches.

You may try Waymarking. I believe they have a webcam section, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Why has webcam caches been baned from placment? What is wrong with finding pre-existing item? There is a bucket load still in operation, 13 in Washington state alone.

You can't. You haven't hidden a cache in a while so I suggest you read the latest guidelines.

Edited by steve kc7byp

Please inlighten me. I would like to know what is so hard about setting up an ethernet webcam and pointing it out the window? My webcam that I just setup on my home network was "plug in and run". Is there something that I am missing about running live stream video on the internet? This is new territory for me.

Because new ones are hard to find, plus you need to go through quite a bit of effort to set one up.

Regardless of setting up a webcam, the webcam caches (like virtuals) were caches without a container. Geocaching.com discontinued listing them some time around November of 2005. Right now, since some webcams die out over time, there are only about 225 left in the U.S. The listing guidelines (linked by several people above) spell out that these are Grandfathered types, meaning that they are allowed to continue their existence, but no NEW webcams will be listed. This is a blanket decision by Groundspeak and Geocaching.com.

If you are interested in setting up a webcam and marking the coordinates, take a look at this Waymarking category, (which Touchstone linked above) which highlights over 600 webcams over the world.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with finding pre-existing webcam caches, as long as you follow the rules of the particular cache page, and as long as it's still active.

Edited by Markwell

Regardless of setting up a webcam, the webcam caches (like virtuals) were caches without a container. Geocaching.com discontinued listing them some time around November of 2005. Right now, since some webcams die out over time, there are only about 225 left in the U.S. The listing guidelines (linked by several people above) spell out that these are Grandfathered types, meaning that they are allowed to continue their existence, but no NEW webcams will be listed. This is a blanket decision by Groundspeak and Geocaching.com.

I would never argue with Markwell, but 225 might even be high. Assuming this bookmark list nailed every one in the U.S. when it was created, there's 294 on there, and I'll bet more than 69 of them are archived. I know I had to kill mine a few months ago, when the private homeowner who lived on the edge of a park moved. That webcam existed for over 10 years, before he moved.

In addition to Waymarking, there are other alternative Geocaching websites who still accept them (I myself own a Terracaching.com webcam cache). But to be honest, with Waymarking or those other websites, hardly anyone is ever going to visit. :unsure:

Please inlighten me. I would like to know what is so hard about setting up an ethernet webcam and pointing it out the window? My webcam that I just setup on my home network was "plug in and run". Is there something that I am missing about running live stream video on the internet? This is new territory for me.

<snipping out incorrect response>

Because it isn't a cache, it is simply an image of someone standing at assigned coordinates, and probably where a physical cache can be placed. The guidelines were edited to remove the option to submit new non-physical cache listings. Some types were grandfathered some were not.

Edited by wimseyguy