TB ettiquette?

CEO62

Forgive my 'newbieness'...

I came across my first one! I don't have any bugs of my own to trade nor anything of equal interest. I do believe I can help the bug on its goal (if I can talk my GF into caching on her vacation), however. What's the "right" thing to do?

I seem to remember a general guideline that trades should be of approximate equal value (at least in the eyes of given cacher). Does this guideline apply to TB's? If it does, that would seem to limit TB movement. I didn't read about this explicitly in the TB FAQ.

I have to sleep sometime. :unsure:

:D

Travel bugs are not trade items. You do not have to leave anything in its place to be able to take one. You can also move as many as as you wish. Just try and make sure you are attempting to assist the bug towards the goal.

Occasionally you will see caches requiring that you leave one to take one. Feel free to ignore such trade rules.

And while I'm at it. Make it a habit to write down and save the tracking number, at least until the bug is logged correctly into the next cache. One day you'll make a simple logging error and you'll need the number to fix it.

Welcome to the fun!

Oh yes, Move Them Bugs!

Occasionally you may come across TB Hotels, or Prisons (as some call them). This is where the cache owner attempts to dictate that you can take a TB only if you replace it with one (trade).

This is outside of the geocaching.com guidelines. A cache owner may not put restrictions on TBs or geocoins, either. They are not his/hers to restrict.

If you can help their journey or mission, do so. If you cannot, it is best to leave it for the next that can.

As the other posts say, "Move them bugs". :unsure:

Thanks for the replies. I hear you loud & clear. Also, they just made sense!! (a definite plus!)

So I returned to before mentioned cache, bug still there, grabbed. Now...of the couple I am the cacher. She, the one bound for the beach, not so much. Any words of wisdom to make the process real simple for her? I can't loan my iPhone for a GPS while she's away. I was thinking of trying to get coords off the web, assuming she can accurately describe the TB's resting place.

Alternatively, (I was reading on TB FAQ) TB's can be transferred person to person instead placed in a cache (either someone elses' preexisting or the new one to be created by me by proxy). Ideally, in this situation she'd find a geocacher instead just a friendly stranger who may or may not have the curiosity/interest to follow through with the TB.

It'd be profoundly simpler to place it myself locally, which may end up happening depending on my power of persuasion. Then, if TB hasn't moved by the time I travel to a more exotic locale...I could.

Thoughts?

Alternatively, (I was reading on TB FAQ) TB's can be transferred person to person instead placed in a cache (either someone elses' preexisting or the new one to be created by me by proxy). Ideally, in this situation she'd find a geocacher instead just a friendly stranger who may or may not have the curiosity/interest to follow through with the TB.

First... never, NEVER, NEVER utilize a non-cacher for TB transport. For some silly reason, it always seems to be disastrous when one tries that.

Second... transferring to another person (cacher) is acceptable. In fact, this is a good idea if there is little likelihood that you would be able to place it within a reasonable period of time. This transfer is accomplished by the receiver of the TB utilizing the "grab from..." log. In the log body, it would be a good idea for them to note that the TB was handed to them by ******.

Simple as that.

Enjoy!