jacket suggestions

scrapes

Hey guys, what do you wear when out hunting? I've got a decent rain/wind shell rip stop material, that I wear, the rip stop has controlled the length of the rips but doesn't hold up to thorns very well.

Any recommendations on a decent jacket/shell to wear when you know there will be thorny bush wacking.

Depends on the weather. For most folks, I think an REI Taku jacket gets the job done, as long as the weather's not hot.

(WARNING: gearhead content ahead)

In winter, I have a Marmot Venus down jacket. 800 fill down, keeps me dry, lasted 2 winters before getting a repairable rip. If it's inclement as well as cold, I'll wear my Arc'teryx Sidewinder over it.

In chilly weather, I have a Patagonia Re-Tool jacket that goes nicely on its own or beneath a more wind/water resistant layer (like my Patagonia Guide jacket, or my REI Taku jacket). The Re-Tool is one of those fuzzy coats that can really hold in the body heat, but because it's fairly open-weave, it's easy to cool off when necessary to avoid sweating.

In warm but wet weather, I wear just the Guide or the Taku, or maybe my Patagonia Eco Rain jacket. Of these three, the Guide is the only one that's not waterproof. They're all comfortable and pretty darned durable.

I hunt in Carhart.Almost indestructable.You can get them in different styles and insulation.I wear a lighter one with layers under in cold weather,no layers in nicer weather.Walls is another brand that is a little cheaper but very good.I spray the outside of my jacket with Scotchguard.Helps make it waterproof.I have worn the same old jacket for about 8 years,through thorns,briars and heavy brush.Its still in good shape.

Huh, I just bleed!

When the weather is other than warm, I wear a Filson double-tin jacket. Colder? I snap in the detachable wool liner. :ph34r:

They also make double-tin pants, if interested. Most will call it pricey, but your grandkids will enjoy them when you are gone!

Nothing, aside from bullets or arrows, penetrate it. Luckily none of those two have tried, yet! :surprise:

I love my softshell jacket from LL Bean.

L-L-Bean-Trail-Model-Soft_7E861912.jpg

It's warm, lightweight, almost waterproof, and hasn't gotten a tear in it yet from all the bushwhacking I've done.

Oh, I think it's wicked comfortable, too.

Other then chain mail............the soft shell you show is the type I'm looking at, the material seems to be tough enough to hold up and something I can wear backpacking. The invasive briars in NJ are getting ridiculous. We have two main types the small 1/4 inch ones and the painfull green 1/2 inch daggers that grow on a long flimsy branch that tend to loop across the path. They are the rippers.

Other then chain mail............the soft shell you show is the type I'm looking at, the material seems to be tough enough to hold up and something I can wear backpacking. The invasive briars in NJ are getting ridiculous. We have two main types the small 1/4 inch ones and the painfull green 1/2 inch daggers that grow on a long flimsy branch that tend to loop across the path. They are the rippers.
Seems to me briars would have no problem going right straight through chain mail, so I think the soft shell is far superior! :surprise:

Don't get anything too scratch-proof, you'll have to change your name from scrapes. :ph34r:

If a coat doesn't look durable it won't be. Light weight nylon will tend to snag on bushes and thorns. Thick cotton or the thicker nylon will be the most durable. I've seen some reasonably priced work coats like Riggs and others that are much cheaper than Carhart that should work well.

Seems to me briars would have no problem going right straight through chain mail, so I think the soft shell is far superior! :smile:

Don't get anything too scratch-proof, you'll have to change your name from scrapes. :laughing:

Very funny! thanks :)