Cache Idea

I had an idea for a cache but was unsure if fell into the ALR category which Geocaching.com does not allow.

It's a puzzle cache. To the get right latitude and longitude you would have to watch specific movies (of my choosing of course) and in a particular scene you would see (as example) an 8 or 52 or 121 or whatever. Those numbers would then be used to for the cache location. The cache would have only one waypoint, you would just need to watch the movies to get the location.

I would provide the number of minutes into the movie where the number could be located.

Does that sound doable or acceptable to the powers that be?

Oh man, this reminds me of a puzzle cache I put on my ignore list about 45 minutes from here. You have to watch Top Gun and get numbers that way, but it's absolutely ridiculous. How many times does Tom Cruise look at his watch in the volleyball game?

There are like 15 questions you have to answer, and the kicker is that the CO intentionally doesn't give you the time in the movie. He states he wants people to watch the entire thing.

Don't be THAT guy...

I had an idea for a cache but was unsure if fell into the ALR category which Geocaching.com does not allow.

It's a puzzle cache. To the get right latitude and longitude you would have to watch specific movies (of my choosing of course) and in a particular scene you would see (as example) an 8 or 52 or 121 or whatever. Those numbers would then be used to for the cache location. The cache would have only one waypoint, you would just need to watch the movies to get the location.

I would provide the number of minutes into the movie where the number could be located.

Does that sound doable or acceptable to the powers that be?

I think it is within the rules, however I would be annoyed to have to go rent, or otherwise acquire, these movies in order to get the clues. How about using publicly available material that everyone already has access to like YouTube videos (as an example)?

I think it is within the rules, however I would be annoyed to have to go rent, or otherwise acquire, these movies in order to get the clues. How about using publicly available material that everyone already has access to like YouTube videos (as an example)?

YouTube videos are prone to vanishing w/out warning. I'll agree that I'd be annoyed if I had to go rent some movie, but hey, I don't have to do the cache (I probably wouldn't). If the OP does decide to do this make sure a local library has a copy of the movie if at all possible. I think the local library even has DVD players and TV's you can "check out" for watching a DVD in the library.

You could do a similar hint w/ a book puzzle, just make sure you post the revision and printing of the copy you're using! The 1967 Lord of the Rings published in the UK probably has different page #'s than the 2005 edition published in the US, for example.

Think about the fun of the cachers. To solve the cache puzzle, one have to go to the library, rent a DVD movie, watch it without enjoying it because you look for specific things and go again to the library to return the movie. This is more annoying the making fun.

I think that You tube is much better idea. You don't spent time and money on the video library. You can find short fun clips that will enjoy the cachers. There are many nice old clips with many copies on You tube that one will find even if some copies of it will be removed.

.tbh i would not bother watching a few movies to get the clues

can just as well make a movie trivia, provide the questions in the cache description

i did one for Seinfeld :surprise:

Ahhh! I was just about to mention yours! I am waiting for when I have more time and less papers this summer to work it out. Thank you seasons of Seinfeld on DVD!

You could do a similar hint w/ a book puzzle, just make sure you post the revision and printing of the copy you're using! The 1967 Lord of the Rings published in the UK probably has different page #'s than the 2005 edition published in the US, for example.

ISBN numbers (is that redundant?) work well for this; each revision has it's own number.