Religious crap in a cache

fly46

How many others besides me are considering continuing caching while abandoning the forums? If every discussion is going to descend into mean spirited sniping is it really worth the time?

I don't really see how a "shut up and geocache" kind of comment is productive in any way. If you don't like the tone of the post, there are better ways to address it, or you can simply ignore it.

I don't always agree with everyone who comments, but I do think that the people who are in here arguing/discussing are people who care about the game, and there is value in that. That's why I try to avoid making personal attacks - I think discussion, even when it's heated, is good for the growth of the game.

There is no value in telling people to stop talking. Your comment is far more offensive than many of the insults that have been tossed around. You are trying to stifle an open discussion because it makes you feel uncomfortable.

I just got back from a whirlwind trip to Arizona where I hiked for miles in the desert to find geocaches. I spent yesterday flying home, and today it's raining and I'm tired. Stuff it.

I don't really see how a "shut up and geocache" kind of comment is productive in any way. If you don't like the tone of the post, there are better ways to address it, or you can simply ignore it.

I don't always agree with everyone who comments, but I do think that the people who are in here arguing/discussing are people who care about the game, and there is value in that. That's why I try to avoid making personal attacks - I think discussion, even when it's heated, is good for the growth of the game.

There is no value in telling people to stop talking. Your comment is far more offensive than many of the insults that have been tossed around. You are trying to stifle an open discussion because it makes you feel uncomfortable.

I just got back from a whirlwind trip to Arizona where I hiked for miles in the desert to find geocaches. I spent yesterday flying home, and today it's raining and I'm tired. Stuff it.

7 was the largest font size I could pick... Please take your own advice!!!!

Religious tracts in caches- Banned... offends non-believers or members of different faiths, promotes agenda

(etc)

You left out one.

Ammo box as cache containers - banned, for promoting guns and glorifying war and killing

And my lame attempt to go tie this in with the original topic : war and religion has been closely linked throughout most of history.

Praise the LORD and Pass The Ammunition

Here's what you do.

Find out what church is propogating these tracts and go to their services. In the middle of a sermon stand up and loudly start talking about Geocaching (or whatever tickes your fancy).

It may not get the point across but it can be fun to get bounced from a church.

:unsure::DB)

Where in here does it say anything about you being protected from religion? I have a right to express my religion through speech or writing. How did it ever happen that people feel they can silence those that they disagree with? And why is it always those "progressive, open-minded" folks that seem to be the worst at it.

Has anybody self-identified in the thread as progressive and open minded?

It's been my experience that those professing to be the open-minded, progressive thinkers are usually the ones that are first in line to silence speech when they disagree with it...

It's been my experiance that people that use this line are using "open-minded, progressive thinkers" as code words for something else.

Sweet, 4:16. No shoe sandwich for me.

That is awesome. Is that public domain? Can I have it? :unsure:

I'm not aware of the copyright status of that image (it pains me to admit that). I borrowed it off the interwebs. If you google the phrase "holy carp" you'll find it.

Edited by GeoGeeBee

Ok... So let me get this straight... You hijack a thread that isn't remotely religious. You twist the guidelines to imply that religious items are prohibited trade-items... You spend a huge amount of time arguing back and forth in these forums....

For something you find <yawn> ... boring...

Sorry, not buying what you're selling... But nice try...

I'm not arguing against religion, I'm arguing against using a geocache to promote a religious, political, charitable, or commercial agenda. Your continued characterization of my argument as a statement against religion itself is simply incorrect. It's unfortunate that you insist on seeing it that way.

ok what about the travel bug i found the other day that was dedicated to diabeties awareness? should i have just thrown it out because it promotes a charitable agenda? your logic is warped

Oh man, I misread the title of this thread. When I read it, I thought of this:

{image deleted to save space in the nested quoting thingies}

I'm not aware of the copyright status of that image (it pains me to admit that). I borrowed it off the interwebs. If you google the phrase "holy carp" you'll find it.

Perfect now I can add "Broken Quote Tags". Only one more and I have five across for BINGO.

If you were an atheist and created a cool little spaghetti monster personal trade item that you put into caches, how would you feel if I deemed your item to be offensive because it conflicted with my personal worldview and removed it from any cache I came across?

I am an atheist, and I don't put atheism-related materials or objects into caches because I don't believe in using geocaches to impose my worldview on others. If I noticed atheism materials in a cache, I would likely remove them.

Okay, but please don't remove the tracts extolling the virtues of the Cult of the Blue Bow. That would just be going too far...

I say hell no to the Blue Bow.

How many others besides me are considering continuing caching while abandoning the forums? If every discussion is going to descend into mean spirited sniping is it really worth the time?

Here is the perfect example of what I am saying, I have grown so tired of the silliness on both sides of this debate that I say I think I will cache and not visit the forums, and the response?

I don't really see how a "shut up and geocache" kind of comment is productive in any way.

Never told anyone to "shut up" only that I was considering ignoring the forums.

There is no value in telling people to stop talking.

Never told anyone to stop talking, might like them to be more polite but not stop talking.

Your comment is far more offensive than many of the insults that have been tossed around.

If my comment was offensive you need thicker skin.

You are trying to stifle an open discussion because it makes you feel uncomfortable.

Not trying to "stifle an open discussion" just wished we'd get rid of the childish carping to make room for some "open discussion"

Stuff it.

This from a person who claims she doesn't do personal attacks.

There are some fine people on the forums I have see that in the answers to new commers. But sometimes it is as someone else suggested a "Springer rerun'

Edited by hoosier guy

Ok... So let me get this straight... You hijack a thread that isn't remotely religious. You twist the guidelines to imply that religious items are prohibited trade-items... You spend a huge amount of time arguing back and forth in these forums....

I'm not arguing against religion, I'm arguing against using a geocache to promote a religious, political, charitable, or commercial agenda. Your continued characterization of my argument as a statement against religion itself is simply incorrect. It's unfortunate that you insist on seeing it that way.

ok what about the travel bug i found the other day that was dedicated to diabeties awareness? should i have just thrown it out because it promotes a charitable agenda? your logic is warped

1- Trackable items do not follow the same agenda guidelines that caches do.

2- Narcissa wasn't talking about trackables. She's talking about caches.

These two things don't change if you agree with her or not.

I come here because by the time I get off work, Springer reruns are already over. :unsure:

I think that the fact that I've seen many a newbie cautioned not to judge the geocaching community by the forums, should be a red flag. I am quite certain people would not phrase things they way they do here, or use the tone that they use if they were forced to say their piece right a persons face. I think it would tone down the rhetoric quite a bit if folks remembered that there are actual living, breathing, fellow cachers at the other end of the keyboard. Folks with kids and grandkids and pets and feelings and stuff.

I come here because by the time I get off work, Springer reruns are already over. :unsure:

Like that one :D

Edited by hoosier guy

Hang in there, the worst offenders will tire of it and move on... sorta like having a cache maggot in your area, just wait her out and she'll go away.

OOOooOOOoo Angstyness abounds!

Would you people type slower. I don't read so fast. :unsure:

All the 'good' stuff is found in the first 4 or 5 responses - no need to read all of the rest of it.....

:D

Yep - same old crap - same people spewing it - different day.

Frankly any "win" of the discussion has been drown out by the snarkiness and extreme pettiness displayed by both parties central to this "debate". I always find it amusing that people who profess to want to bring people to their way of thinking tend to go out of their way to drive those same people away from their message by the manner in which they engage with others.

Sad that. But I highly doubt they have the insight to even consider that when they are so busy trying to one-up each other. It reminds me of junior high school playgrounds.

ok true BUT it was placed in a cache! and there by the cache was used to promote an agenda- no differance than the 'tract' mentioned by the OP

Yep - same old crap - same people spewing it - different day.

That's the forums. It's all been discussed before. (And if someone asks a question that has already been asked *someone will come along and post threads to that already asked question. It happens like clockwork.)

ok what about the travel bug i found the other day that was dedicated to diabetes awareness? should i have just thrown it out because it promotes a charitable agenda? your logic is warped

ok true BUT it was placed in a cache! and there by the cache was used to promote an agenda- no difference than the 'tract' mentioned by the OP

There's a huge difference. You can't compare trackables to swag in terms of agenda or lack of agenda. That's like comparing apples to aardvarks.

I really don't care that much about this issue one way or another but this comment by my friend DW caught my attention (the following is not aimed at DragonsWest, it is a comment on Jack Chick).

Honestly, I've found more objectionable items in caches than a Chick booklet, a prayer or a tract.

I don't approve of religious materials in a cache (swag excepted) but I can't work up any froth about it either. I just don't believe witnessing in caches is appropriate. If I find it in my caches I'll take it out and toss it.

BUT...

Jack Chick Tracts rise to the level grossly inappropriate in my opinion. God by terror is not what this family sport is about.

Check it out the intollerance for yourself.

On the other hand, I once found a pair of 'used' womens panties in a cache. Didn't really bother me. :unsure:

but still pretty inappropriate.

Finally the perfect guaranteed to offend everyone swag: A recent article in the Journal of Obesity points out that the portion and plate sizes in 50+ depictions of the Last Supper painting over the last 1000 years have grown by over 60%.

In honor of this finding McDonalds is releasing a limited edition Holy Grail Cup.

Now thou shalt Supersize it by getting a quarter pounder with cheese, large fries, and a holy grailful of coke.

:D:):unsure:B)

Edited by wimseyguy

Also posted on the Naughty Thread:

The Peace Treaty Signing will be held at Vodoo Donut on NW 22nd Ave in Portland, a week from Friday. All are welcome to attend. Yes, they have bacon donuts.

Are you trying to exclude our Jewish friends? :D

Also posted on the Naughty Thread:

The Peace Treaty Signing will be held at Vodoo Donut on NW 22nd Ave in Portland, a week from Friday. All are welcome to attend. Yes, they have bacon donuts.

Hey - Isn't that GOOD Friday!? :unsure:

As a nod to our Jewish friends and liturgical folks who will be observing Good Friday, the Peace Treaty Signing Committee is pleased to remind everyone that Vodoo Doughnut also has vegan doughnuts. If you gave up doughnuts for Lent, you can have coffee. If you gave up coffee for Lent, you can have water. If you're like me, you gave up giving stuff up for Lent, so you're in the clear. B)

Excellent. My "just say no to religious carp in caches" signature cards should be ready for power trail caching this weekend.

In an equally juvenile matter, would anyone like to be Rick Rolled?

I've read through this entire train-wreck, and all I got was this:

1) Bacon flavoured beer.

2) Something about a pony biting a donut, or a donut biting a pony, or something.

3) Oh yeah, and no-one agrees on religion. News at 11...

A donut biting a pony would be something to see...

... but only if it were made of bacon.

ok what about the travel bug i found the other day that was dedicated to diabetes awareness? should i have just thrown it out because it promotes a charitable agenda? your logic is warped

ok true BUT it was placed in a cache! and there by the cache was used to promote an agenda- no difference than the 'tract' mentioned by the OP

There's a huge difference. You can't compare trackables to swag in terms of agenda or lack of agenda. That's like comparing apples to aardvarks.

but they are both promoting an agenda- in a cache. there is no consistancy here, just personal agenda.

for what it's worth, i'm not trying to go against her or anyone i just am doing the same thing i do with my students- pointing out inconsistancies

If you were an atheist and created a cool little spaghetti monster personal trade item that you put into caches, how would you feel if I deemed your item to be offensive because it conflicted with my personal worldview and removed it from any cache I came across?

I am an atheist, and I don't put atheism-related materials or objects into caches because I don't believe in using geocaches to impose my worldview on others. If I noticed atheism materials in a cache, I would likely remove them.

Okay, but please don't remove the tracts extolling the virtues of the Cult of the Blue Bow. That would just be going too far...

I say hell no to the Blue Bow.

It doesn't want you anyway! It'd clash with your avatar. :unsure:

While I agree that these items aren't appropriate for a geocache, I think the tone of this rant is inflammatory. Some people are a bit misguided about what they put in caches, but ranting and using offensive language just gets people upset.

The OP should know that he's in trouble, when I agree with narcissa!

I find the use of defacatory terms to be offensive, and not child friendly. I find that insulting someone's religion because you do not agree with it to be offensive. Of course, I find that trying to force one's religious views on others to be offensive, but many religious groups are apostalic. Oh. That's what OP is trying to do...

To OP: As stated above somewhere: If it's your cache, you may remove it. If it's not your cache, trade for it.

I would but I am stuck with a 16 hour shift at work today so I have to settle for this

train_wreck1.jpg

ETA: I like ponies, donuts, bacon and beer.

Edited by Borst68

1) Bacon flavoured beer.

2) Something about a pony biting a donut, or a donut biting a pony, or something.

The pony or the donut? I'm getting SO confused. :unsure:

Religious tracts in caches- Banned... offends non-believers or members of different faiths, promotes agenda

(etc)

You left out one.

Ammo box as cache containers - banned, for promoting guns and glorifying war and killing

And my lame attempt to go tie this in with the original topic : war and religion has been closely linked throughout most of history.

Praise the LORD and Pass The Ammunition

Well technically I covered that with the addendum which included the NRA, but I failed to point out the ammo can connection. Although lock-n-locks could be viewed an an environmentaly unsound use of limited petroleum resources, and I guess wooden containers would offend the tree-huggers, recycled soda pop bottleneck micros even though they are recycled, are offensive to some cachers.... you just can't win!!!

1) Bacon flavoured beer.

STEP RIGHT UP!!!! GET YOUR TICKETS!!!!! POPCORN, GET YOUR POPCORN!!!!!!!

1) Bacon flavoured beer.

Technically, a bacon pony is a large pig, no?

1) Bacon flavoured beer.

Is that pony-flavored popcorn, donut-flavored popcorn, or beer-flavored popcorn? Inquiring minds want to know!

1) Bacon flavoured beer.

Is that pony-flavored popcorn, donut-flavored popcorn, or beer-flavored popcorn? Inquiring minds want to know!

just blend pony, donut, beer, and bacon together and drizzle over the popcorn. Does that cover all the bases?

Oh - don't forget the butter.

1) Bacon flavoured beer.

lean close (whisper: i have all three burt only for platinum members. shhhh!)