Religious crap in a cache

fly46

I just started Geocaching and I'm very excited about it :3 I just have a simple question, staying on topic here...

I don't have much money to spend on swag, so I decided to leave little glass beads with hand-painted Runes on them at caches. I don't consider Runes "religious," I just think obscure symbols, graffiti, whatever are cool to find (kinda like Lord of the Rings adventure or something). And I figure something I put my energy into making would be cooler than some random dollar-store item. But my concern is, would someone else think of Runes as "religious?" I hope not :\

Peace.

-- Gally

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question :3 I appreciate it! I'll keep dropping the mysterious Runes in caches. If anyone ever comes to Central Coastal CA near Monterey Bay, look out for them!

-- Gally

Ideally, that would be nice to do. However, when speech is cut off or overly censored, what tends to occur is that the angst gets bottled up and leaks into another area. I'd rather have someone discuss what bothers them, rather than having caches trashed for no apparent reason.

I'd prefer that discussions on religion be leaked into a forum and website about discussion of religion. This is not censorship, it's forum moderation. There is a difference.

If you believe that caches are trashed because of unexpressed opinions then you have reason that caches may be trashed because of opinions that were elaborated upon and argued about. I have no real evidence that either has happened but I can certainly envision that if one is happening then the other is too. I don't think that a person willing to destroy a cache can be "talked down from the water tower" once they have it in there mind that it's a reasonable thing to do.

I guess the difference would be- before: caches trashed for no apparent reason, after: caches trashed for an apparent reason.

:) Sorry Nymph....just stirring the pot on a thread that is so ridiculous, it of course needed some more manufactured ignorance thrown in...I am not a religous person, I am a Christian, however. And I am quite versed in Pagans. I was one once. Childish creatures, pagans are...1 Corinthians 13:11-12 :)

I see.

So it's ok to use the Bible to make fun of pagans?

Let's see, from that same collection of ancient myths:

"When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she shall not go free as male slaves do." --Exodus 21:7, condoning the selling of one's daughter into slavery, grooovy.

"Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, [shall be] of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids."--Leviticus 25:44, condoning the possession of slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine

claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians.

"Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the LORD: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death."--Exodus 35:2. Guess I'll just pop into Target on a Sunday and smite all the employees.

"[On the other hand], all creatures in seas and rivers that do not have fins and scales, whether they are small aquatic animals or other aquatic creatures, must be avoided by you."--Leviticus 11:10. Hmmm, guess that those eating shrimp at the Red Lobster should also be smote!

"Do not cut off the hair on the sides of your head. Do not shave off the edges of your beard."--Leviticus 19:27. dadgum! I just shaved. Guess I have to smite myself.

"The hare shall be unclean to you although it brings up its cud, since it does not have a true hoof. The pig shall be unclean to you although it has a true hoof which is cloven, since it does not chew its cud. Do not eat the flesh of any of these animals. [At this time] do not touch their carcasses, since they are unclean to you."--Leviticus 11:6-8. dadgum, guess all the NFL quarterbacks need smiting!

Yeah, that's some word of God, alright. Let's put our blind belief, aka faith, in Him!

Does the poster of that anti-pagan bias believe in Bael, or An, or Horus, or Osiris, or Zeus, or Krishna, or Amaterasu, or Izanami, or Enlil, or Inanna, or Set, or Athena....? I guess that just makes ME strange for just tossing one more God (Yahweh) onto the list or supernatural nonsense.

*rolls eyes*

I'm not sure what the last post has to do with religious items in caches. I don't find many slaves in geocaches around these parts. :)

Food is a no-no in caches, so not sure what shrimp have to do with religious items in caches. :)

I did have to replace a cache once that hares or other sharp toothed animals had chewed on. But I'm still not sure what relevance it has with religious in caches. :)

Ideally, that would be nice to do. However, when speech is cut off or overly censored, what tends to occur is that the angst gets bottled up and leaks into another area. I'd rather have someone discuss what bothers them, rather than having caches trashed for no apparent reason.

I'd prefer that discussions on religion be leaked into a forum and website about discussion of religion. This is not censorship, it's forum moderation. There is a difference.

If you believe that caches are trashed because of unexpressed opinions then you have reason that caches may be trashed because of opinions that were elaborated upon and argued about. I have no real evidence that either has happened but I can certainly envision that if one is happening then the other is too. I don't think that a person willing to destroy a cache can be "talked down from the water tower" once they have it in there mind that it's a reasonable thing to do.

I guess the difference would be- before: caches trashed for no apparent reason, after: caches trashed for an apparent reason.

Typically an inability to communicate clearly will lead to violence. This has been demonstrated in many ways, from wars to fistfights among kids. Two people trading escalating insults will turn to violence when one of them cannot think of something better to say. Cache pirates who do it out of malice, rather than personal gain usually do it to try to make their communication louder.

When 2 countries break out in war, they always have said plenty to each other, but rarely have communicated.

Turn off these threads and you'll have people dropping religious leaflets thinking they are God's gift to caching, while not realizing how many people dislike them..

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Turn off these threads and you'll have people dropping religious leaflets thinking they are God's gift to caching, while not realizing how many people dislike them..

Some how I don't think if these threads exist or not bothers the people dropping the leaflets. Seems the Johovah Witness folks still knock on your door regardless of how many times you slam it in their face.

Seems the Johovah Witness folks still knock on your door regardless of how many times you slam it in their face.

Finally, something in this thread that I can respond to. They aren't necessarily trying to convert you, just warn or inform you. You need an 's there, BTW.

Disclaimer: I ain't one, just talked to them instead of being rude. Nice, honest folks.

I don't agree at all with Jehovah's witnesses, but their Watchtower newsletter is interesting reading anyway, as I

like to see all points of view, plus they are always very polite and nice. I don't agree with the Mormons either, but they have visited several times for discussions. I don't think the literature is appropriate in a cache, but it's very easy to ignore and not get worked up over..

"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " -- Steven Weinberg

Religion doesn't get a pass simply because it's religion. It's up for discussion just like everything else. Why is it so untouchable re: geocaching, and why are so many people shying away from what is a valid geocaching topic?

I bet dollars to doughnuts that if those protesting the removal of religious swag came across invitations to the local mosque or invitations for a free e-meter audit they'd remove that material in a heartbeat.

What's an 'e-meter' audit?

It has something to do with a novel written in prison turned mad cache money making oh so powerful because they are one million strong world wide religion.

Some how I don't think if these threads exist or not bothers the people dropping the leaflets. Seems the Johovah Witness folks still knock on your door regardless of how many times you slam it in their face.

When I lived in Detroit and got sick of being woke up, I had a great idea.

I rented a umm you know what kind of movie on Friday and put it in the VCR.

When they showed up I hit play and invited them in.

It lasted for about 5 minutes and I never heard the knock again.

---------------

I have a theory about people who are offended by people who are attempting conversion.

They are insecure in their faith.

I 100% agree with the OP. Things like that have no place in a geocache. I cache for fun, not for some holier than tho cretin to try and convert me to their Religion. I especially love the ones that take the scare approach. "If you don't believe in Jesus you're going to hell." I'm planning on taking my cousins geocaching and something like that would scare the youngest.

And the political leaflets are just pathetic.

Time and place people.

I 100% agree with the OP. Things like that have no place in a geocache. I cache for fun, not for some holier than tho cretin to try and convert me to their Religion. I especially love the ones that take the scare approach. "If you don't believe in Jesus you're going to hell." I'm planning on taking my cousins geocaching and something like that would scare the youngest.

Time and place people.

Namaste.

You're giving an object more power than it deserves. Realize it for what it is and then deal with it in a fitting manner. Don't let objects control how you feel.

You're giving an object more power than it deserves. Realize it for what it is and then deal with it in a fitting manner. Don't let objects control how you feel.

a solid portion of the gc.com users don't feel this way....

they'd do almost anything for a smiley. some of us would go the extra mile and gripe in a forum FOR that smiley. :) talk about letting an object control how you feel....

Seems the Johovah Witness folks still knock on your door regardless of how many times you slam it in their face.

Finally, something in this thread that I can respond to. They aren't necessarily trying to convert you, just warn or inform you. You need an 's there, BTW.

Disclaimer: I ain't one, just talked to them instead of being rude. Nice, honest folks.

Yes, I agree. Those people are doing what they think is right. I'm always polite to them.

Time and place people.

My advice is just to keep having fun. It doesn't have to bother you unless you let it! Just don't take any of it, trade for swag that you like, sign the cache and move on (while still having fun).

I'm unsure as to why these threads are allowed to survive past post #2. This could be easily handled with a simple post by a mod followed by a thread closure.

"Trade up or trade even. Sorry, but this is a divisive topic and often strays beyond the scope of a Geocaching forum. As such, these threads are closed to maintain forum peace."

I vote for Castle Mischief for forum moderator!! 113.gif

Considering the ratio of cachers to forum users I think that's simply not true or based in facts.

This whole tract hysteria is manufactured in the forums.

I've found a couple thousand caches in 28 states and doubt that I've seen tracts in 10 caches.

Outside of the regularly reproduced threads on this topic it's just not an issue.

I'm unsure as to why these threads are allowed to survive past post #2. This could be easily handled with a simple post by a mod followed by a thread closure.

"Trade up or trade even. Sorry, but this is a divisive topic and often strays beyond the scope of a Geocaching forum. As such, these threads are closed to maintain forum peace."

That's a good one. Be sure to read all 10 or 11 or 12 pages... :D

Considering the ratio of cachers to forum users I think that's simply not true or based in facts.

This whole tract hysteria is manufactured in the forums.

I've found a couple thousand caches in 28 states and doubt that I've seen tracts in 10 caches.

Outside of the regularly reproduced threads on this topic it's just not an issue.

Ditto.. 3600 some odd caches and probably can only name one where I found information. And I signed the log, went about my business, no problem. Didn't get converted. Didn't feel threatened. Didn't feel compelled to be the cache-God and removed them. I just minded my own business and moved on. See how easy that was?

No thanks. I don't think I'm gonna read beyond post #2.

No thanks. I don't think I'm gonna read beyond post #2.

and post #474.

Closing threads is akin to removing the stuff in caches.

If someone cannot ignore the content in a cache, how can they ignore a thread? :D

Why is it that you guys can't ignore the thread? :D

According to Groundspeak guidelines....

We're not allowed to have commercial caches that tell you to support a specific business.

We're not allowed to have caches that promote a special charity.

Why are we allowed to promote our religions?

Those guidelines do not now nor have they ever applied to swag.

kind of impossible to "Enforce" swag rules, Even the ones we do have. You have no idea who places the swag in the container. Therefore no way to enforce any kind of swag rules at all. Even the ones we do have.

The only kind of enforcement we have on swag is if it's illegal then we can call the cops and they will confiscate it. Depending on what it is, they probably won't even investigate it either.

ie... once someones "rocks" in a baggy next to the cache. Obviously some geocacher is quite disapointed missing their drugs. Obviously I think it fell out of their pocket. I simply called the cops, they picked up the drugs, made a report and left. No finger prints were taken. Nothing.

I think a while back I read a forum from a geocacher in England who found a cache of coke near a geocache they were looking for. Apparently some drug dealer was using a spot near their to store several kilos of coke. She said the cops came out and got it, she got her geocache. I can just imagine the suprise of the drug dealer when he got back and found no coke!

TGC

That's a good one. Be sure to read all 10 or 11 or 12 pages... :anibad:

What's a troll?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremont_Troll

(I tried to post an image but I don't have the skills)

This is a troll! The Fremont Troll- with a full size VW bug in one hand.

And here's the cache that goes with it

GC11HRQ

On a Windows machine right-click on the image and select "Copy Image Location"

Go to where you want the picture, like in this forum post, and select the Image Link Icon (looks like a tree) at the top of the edit box.

Paste the link that you copied into the link window that opens and click OK.

When you submit the post it will reach out and grab the picture that you linked to.

800px-FremontTroll.jpg

What's a troll?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremont_Troll

(I tried to post an image but I don't have the skills)

This is a troll! The Fremont Troll- with a full size VW bug in one hand.

And here's the cache that goes with it

GC11HRQ

On a Windows machine right-click on the image and select "Copy Image Location"

Go to where you want the picture, like in this forum post, and select the Image Link Icon (looks like a tree) at the top of the edit box.

Paste the link that you copied into the link window that opens and click OK.

When you submit the post it will reach out and grab the picture that you linked to.

800px-FremontTroll.jpg

Humm, I tried combos of that but apparently not the correct order.

Thanks for the tip.