Religious crap in a cache

fly46

Don't make us heathens feel ostracized.

If the mere sight of a cross on a coin makes you this upset, you are too sensitive to geocache. In fact, you are too sensitive to even leave your house... you might see a church and begin to feel ostracized.

or a penny with "in god we trust"...

:rolleyes:

She's probably one of those people trying to get it removed from U.S. currency.

Religion doesn't get a pass simply because it's religion. It's up for discussion just like everything else. Why is it so untouchable re: geocaching, and why are so many people shying away from what is a valid geocaching topic?

There's nothing wrong with discussing it. I just don't understand the reaction some seem to have to finding a religious item in a cache. There are a lot of things I come across that I don't really care for. But few things cause me to react with venomous hatred.

Don't make us heathens feel ostracized.

If the mere sight of a cross on a coin makes you this upset, you are too sensitive to geocache. In fact, you are too sensitive to even leave your house... you might see a church and begin to feel ostracized.

or a penny with "in god we trust"...

She doesn't have a GPS. It was her first find. It was basically following letterbox type clues. She liked it. She should do letterboxing instead. No swag. :ph34r:

Please keep your spiritual views to yourself. Cheers.

Ironically, the only response that comes to my head is "practice what you preach".

I am not sure that the best way to keep your views to yourself was to bump a topic that had finally died a month ago. Just some observations.

Good observations there Mountain Man! Funny actually.

It is interesting to note that the only time you ever see expression of anger towards a person expressing their faith in some way, even the slightest minimal way, it is always a non-Christian attacking a Christian.

Always? Really?

Between 315 and 6th century thousands of pagan believers were slain. Examples of destroyed Temples include the Sanctuary of Aesculap in Aegaea, the Temple of Aphrodite in Golgatha, Aphaka in Lebanon and the Heliopolis. Pagan services became punishable by death in 356. Christian Emperor Theodosius (408-450) even had children executed because they had been playing with remains of pagan statues. The world famous female philosopher Hypatia of Alexandria was torn to pieces with glass fragments by a hysterical Christian mob led by a Christian minister named Peter, in a church, in 415.

Emperor Karl (Charlemagne) in 782 had 4500 Saxons beheaded because they were unwilling to convert to Christianity. The Battle of Belgrad in 1456 saw 80,000 Turks slaughtered by Christians because of their religious differences.

The first Crusade, in 1095, was launched on command of pope Urban II. Semlin/Hungary, Wieselburg/Hungary, Nikaia, Xerigordon (then turkish), each saw thousands of their peoples slain by Christians because of their belief. According to Christian chronicler Fulcher of Chartres, the Christians "did no other harm to the women found in [the enemy's] tents - save that they ran their lances through their

bellies,". When Jerusalem was conquered in 7/15/1099 more than 60,000 victims (Jewish,

muslim, men, women, children) were killed by Christians. The Battle of Askalon, 8/12/1099 saw 200,000 heathens slaughtered "in the name of Our Lord Jesus Christ".

It is estimated that the rest of Crusades, up to the fall of Akkon in 1291 saw 20 million people slain in the Holy land and Arab/Turkish areas because they held different beliefs.

In the era of witch hunting, (1484-1750), according to modern scholars several hundred thousand people(about 80% female) were burned at the stake or hanged for the merest suggestion that they might not be devout Christians.

Onward to America...

Reverend Solomon Stoddard, one of New England's most esteemed religious leaders, in 1703 formally proposed to the Massachusetts Governor that the colonists be given the financial wherewithal to purchase and train large packs of dogs "to hunt Indians as they do bears". Stoddard did not consider Indians to be human, because they were not Christians.

In the 1860s, in Hawaii, the Reverend Rufus Anderson surveyed the carnage that by then had reduced those islands' native population by 90 percent or more, and he declined to see it as tragedy; "The expected

total die-off of the Hawaiian population was only natural", this missionary said, "somewhat equivalent to the amputation of diseased members of the body".

Back to Europe?

Between 1942 and 1943, in Croatia, there existed numerous extermination camps, run by Catholic Ustasha under their dictator Ante Paveliç, a practising Catholic and regular visitor to the then pope. In these camps - the most notorious being Jasenovac, headed by a Franciscan friar - Serbians, including a substantial number of Jews, were murdered. The number of deaths at the hands of these Christians have been estimated at between 300,000 and 600,000 souls.

The list goes on and on.

BTW, this is not a knock on Christians. It is merely pointing out the silliness of beliefs such as yours.

People of evil come in all shapes, sizes, colors and religious preferences, including Christianity.

C. R. Nearly all of your examples are of the Roman Catholic version of Christianity. Most of us Non-Catholic Christians (Protestants) despised what the Catholics did in the name of organized religion. Before you paint all Christians with a broad brush, realize their are plenty of peaceful, and very happy Christians that love to geocache, and never advocate violence in the name of religion.

I can't wait for the day when members of militant Islam start leaving pamphlets warning infidels of certain death in geocaches. :rolleyes:

For some reason someone bumped this thread back into activity, so before it goes to sleep again, I caught up on my reading. I did not take any offense to anything ClanRiffster said, as it is a part of history, but as a Catholic I can only say to Kit Fox, who seemed rather quick to hurl all Catholics under the bus; "Before you paint all Catholics with a broad brush, realize there are plenty of peaceful, and very happy Catholics that love to geocache, and never advocate violence in the name of religion." :ph34r:

Ironic that it happens that not only do non-believers clash with the views and actions of believers, but even the believers "despise" the actions of other believers whose method of worship and fundamental core beliefs may have differed from their own.

"Physician heal thyself".

edit-typos

Edited by NeecesandNephews

pagans are cowards.

I was just going ignore this thread, but as a Pagan, I have a lot of Christian friends and much respect for their religion (and for all religions for that matter). You probably really have no idea anything about Pagans if you feel the need to generalize them.

This is a forum about geocaching not about who thinks his or her religion is better. I think that was pretty rude. Take a lesson from your own signature:

"Treat people like I want to be treated..."

Edited by nymphnsatyr

What's an 'e-meter' audit?

Hint: L. Ron Hubbard created the (cough) religion it belongs to because of a bet he made with Publisher Lester Del Rey. That's a historical fact. :rolleyes:

I do believe I've read that, although I forgot the name of Mr. Del Rey.

I have another shocking revelation. A "e-meter" is nothing but a Wheatstone Bridge

I have to go, I have to rid myself of this Thetan inside me, he's been bugging the heck out of me all day.

And as for Religious item in caches, it doesn't really bother me. I think we can make a choice to look at it or not, or to trade for it or not. I may not choose to proselytize, but I know many people who feel like they're doing the right thing by doing it, and that's okay with me.

It is interesting to note that the only time you ever see expression of anger towards a person expressing their faith in some way, even the slightest minimal way, it is always a non-Christian attacking a Christian.

Always? Really?

Between 315 and 6th century thousands of pagan believers were slain. Examples of destroyed Temples include the Sanctuary of Aesculap in Aegaea, the Temple of Aphrodite in Golgatha, Aphaka in Lebanon and the Heliopolis. Pagan services became punishable by death in 356. Christian Emperor Theodosius (408-450) even had children executed because they had been playing with remains of pagan statues. The world famous female philosopher Hypatia of Alexandria was torn to pieces with glass fragments by a hysterical Christian mob led by a Christian minister named Peter, in a church, in 415.

Emperor Karl (Charlemagne) in 782 had 4500 Saxons beheaded because they were unwilling to convert to Christianity. The Battle of Belgrad in 1456 saw 80,000 Turks slaughtered by Christians because of their religious differences.

The first Crusade, in 1095, was launched on command of pope Urban II. Semlin/Hungary, Wieselburg/Hungary, Nikaia, Xerigordon (then turkish), each saw thousands of their peoples slain by Christians because of their belief. According to Christian chronicler Fulcher of Chartres, the Christians "did no other harm to the women found in [the enemy's] tents - save that they ran their lances through their

bellies,". When Jerusalem was conquered in 7/15/1099 more than 60,000 victims (Jewish,

muslim, men, women, children) were killed by Christians. The Battle of Askalon, 8/12/1099 saw 200,000 heathens slaughtered "in the name of Our Lord Jesus Christ".

It is estimated that the rest of Crusades, up to the fall of Akkon in 1291 saw 20 million people slain in the Holy land and Arab/Turkish areas because they held different beliefs.

In the era of witch hunting, (1484-1750), according to modern scholars several hundred thousand people(about 80% female) were burned at the stake or hanged for the merest suggestion that they might not be devout Christians.

Onward to America...

Reverend Solomon Stoddard, one of New England's most esteemed religious leaders, in 1703 formally proposed to the Massachusetts Governor that the colonists be given the financial wherewithal to purchase and train large packs of dogs "to hunt Indians as they do bears". Stoddard did not consider Indians to be human, because they were not Christians.

In the 1860s, in Hawaii, the Reverend Rufus Anderson surveyed the carnage that by then had reduced those islands' native population by 90 percent or more, and he declined to see it as tragedy; "The expected

total die-off of the Hawaiian population was only natural", this missionary said, "somewhat equivalent to the amputation of diseased members of the body".

Back to Europe?

Between 1942 and 1943, in Croatia, there existed numerous extermination camps, run by Catholic Ustasha under their dictator Ante Paveliç, a practising Catholic and regular visitor to the then pope. In these camps - the most notorious being Jasenovac, headed by a Franciscan friar - Serbians, including a substantial number of Jews, were murdered. The number of deaths at the hands of these Christians have been estimated at between 300,000 and 600,000 souls.

The list goes on and on.

BTW, this is not a knock on Christians. It is merely pointing out the silliness of beliefs such as yours.

People of evil come in all shapes, sizes, colors and religious preferences, including Christianity.

C. R. Nearly all of your examples are of the Roman Catholic version of Christianity. Most of us Non-Catholic Christians (Protestants) despised what the Catholics did in the name of organized religion. Before you paint all Christians with a broad brush, realize their are plenty of peaceful, and very happy Christians that love to geocache, and never advocate violence in the name of religion.

I can't wait for the day when members of militant Islam start leaving pamphlets warning infidels of certain death in geocaches. :ph34r:

For some reason someone bumped this thread back into activity, so before it goes to sleep again, I caught up on my reading. I did not take any offense to anything ClanRiffster said, as it is a part of history, but as a Catholic I can only say to Kit Fox, who seemed rather quick to hurl all Catholics under the bus; "Before you paint all Catholics with a broad brush, realize there are plenty of peaceful, and very happy Catholics that love to geocache, and never advocate violence in the name of religion." :)

Ironic that it happens that not only do non-believers clash with the views and actions of believers, but even the believers "despise" the actions of other believers whose method of worship and fundamental core beliefs may have differed from their own.

I believe that Kit Fox is correct in these matters. I read them in Chick tracts years ago, and who could ever doubt what Jack Chick says? :rolleyes:

Folks, this is a reminder to stay on topic.

The topic is "Religious items in a cache". Feel free to discuss THAT topic.

You are NOT free to discuss the merits or lack thereof of any or all religions, doctrines, theologies, groups of people in or not in a particular religion in this thread.

Take those discussions elsewhere, please. Thanks.

I respect everyone's own opinion when it comes to religion and politics....as long as they respect mine in return. To that end, I don't like having either "forced" upon me. Debate is fine, but I haven't yet met a cache container I can debate with.

I have noticed that, of the few items of religious material/tracts left in caches I have seen, no mention has ever been made of them being left in the online logs.

Debate is fine, but I haven't yet met a cache container I can debate with.

Why would you want to, or feel compelled to? If you open an ammo can and amongst the typical swag items you see a handmade wooden cross, would this compel you to debate with the ammo can? How about a Buddha figure? A Pentacle? I'm having a tough time grasping why an inanimate object, inside a hopefully waterproof container, would trigger the debate center of your brain. :rolleyes:

For some reason someone bumped this thread back into activity, so before it goes to sleep again, I caught up on my reading. I did not take any offense to anything ClanRiffster said, as it is a part of history, but as a Catholic I can only say to Kit Fox, who seemed rather quick to hurl all Catholics under the bus; "Before you paint all Catholics with a broad brush, realize there are plenty of peaceful, and very happy Catholics that love to geocache, and never advocate violence in the name of religion." :blink:

edit-typos

Thank you! :)

Folks, this is a reminder to stay on topic.

The topic is "Religious items in a cache". Feel free to discuss THAT topic.

You are NOT free to discuss the merits or lack thereof of any or all religions, doctrines, theologies, groups of people in or not in a particular religion in this thread.

Take those discussions elsewhere, please. Thanks.

You need to use a bolder font, or color it orange or something... :blink:

I just started Geocaching and I'm very excited about it :3 I just have a simple question, staying on topic here...

I don't have much money to spend on swag, so I decided to leave little glass beads with hand-painted Runes on them at caches. I don't consider Runes "religious," I just think obscure symbols, graffiti, whatever are cool to find (kinda like Lord of the Rings adventure or something). And I figure something I put my energy into making would be cooler than some random dollar-store item. But my concern is, would someone else think of Runes as "religious?" I hope not :\

Peace.

-- Gally

... You don't have a right to go your entire life not being offended.

Some people think that they have the right to not be offended. The USA constitution, as well as our Canadain Charter of Rights and Freedoms, do not protect against being offended. They protect against being descriminated against. Swag that offends you is not covered. Not being allowed to register with GC.com because of your religion (or lack there of) would be (or any other thing that is protected; race, ethnicity, gender, age (unless you are young, but that is a whole other topic) etc.).

... You don't have a right to go your entire life not being offended.

Some people think that they have the right to not be offended. The USA constitution, as well as our Canadain Charter of Rights and Freedoms, do not protect against being offended. They protect against being descriminated against. Swag that offends you is not covered. Not being allowed to register with GC.com because of your religion (or lack there of) would be (or any other thing that is protected; race, ethnicity, gender, age (unless you are young, but that is a whole other topic) etc.).

Some other people think that because you aren't guaranteed the right to not be offended that they should be as offensive as possible and not respect the beliefs and points of view of their fellow humans. Just because you can't be put in jail for being a jerk doesn't mean that you have somehow obtained a higher state of being by shucking off the shackles of good taste and tact.

Almost forgot... something, something, caching. Trade up or trade even. If you don't like what's in a cache at least have the forethought not to complain about it on the forums and either swap it out or quietly remove it.

Edited by Castle Mischief

I just started Geocaching and I'm very excited about it :3 I just have a simple question, staying on topic here...

I don't have much money to spend on swag, so I decided to leave little glass beads with hand-painted Runes on them at caches. I don't consider Runes "religious," I just think obscure symbols, graffiti, whatever are cool to find (kinda like Lord of the Rings adventure or something). And I figure something I put my energy into making would be cooler than some random dollar-store item. But my concern is, would someone else think of Runes as "religious?" I hope not :\

Peace.

-- Gally

Sounds great to me, go for it! :blink:

As far as religious, um, artifacts in caches...

My wife chose her geocaching name from a Rosary that she found in her first cache - GeoRose.

I wear a silver cross on a necklace chain that I found in a cache in 2004.

She's Catholic, I'm a Chaplain of the Southern Baptist Church. Neither of us are offended by or frightened of people of other faiths or none... if anything we find tracts in caches (on the very rare occasion when we see one... in fact I can't remember when the last time was) either amusing or educational.

pagans are cowards.

I was just going ignore this thread, but as a Pagan, I have a lot of Christian friends and much respect for their religion (and for all religions for that matter). You probably really have no idea anything about Pagans if you feel the need to generalize them.

This is a forum about geocaching not about who thinks his or her religion is better. I think that was pretty rude. Take a lesson from your own signature:

:) Sorry Nymph....just stirring the pot on a thread that is so ridiculous, it of course needed some more manufactured ignorance thrown in...I am not a religous person, I am a Christian, however. And I am quite versed in Pagans. I was one once. Childish creatures, pagans are...1 Corinthians 13:11-12 :blink:

I am cool with Christian swag. as mentioned above, there is "religous' swag all over. Not all is Christian in origin. We have all seen runes, aztec stuff, rosary's etc. Please note, I do not need another WWJD bracelet..EVER. No big deal.

Sorry MODS, I will stay on task now. I mentioned Christianity, and I was only speaking in refernce to myself. And pagans are not religous nor is it a religion. I just read the previous MOD comment to stay on OP topic....my bad. I am focused now. :D

Edited by WHO-DEY

pagans are cowards.

:) Sorry Nymph....just stirring the pot on a thread that is so ridiculous, it of course needed some more manufactured ignorance thrown in...I am not a religous person, I am a Christian, however. And I am quite versed in Pagans. I was one once. Childish creatures, pagans are...1 Corinthians 13:11-12 :blink:

I am cool with Christian swag. as mentioned above, there is "religous' swag all over. Not all is Christian in origin. We have all seen runes, aztec stuff, rosary's etc. Please note, I do not need another WWJD bracelet..EVER. No big deal.

Sorry MODS, I will stay on task now. I mentioned Christianity, and I was only speaking in refernce to myself. And pagans are not religous nor is it a religion. I just read the previous MOD comment to stay on OP topic....my bad. I am focused now. :D

Just because something is your opinion doesn't make it fact. Please stop. I come to the geocaching forums to talk about geocaching, and I love geocaching because it's a hobby where all kinds of people can come together and be accepting of each other. This doesn't mean that we always have to agree, and I certainly don't expect people will agree with me all the time, but I would appreciate not coming here to have my religion, yes, religion insulted by someone else. It's not the time or the place.

I enjoy religious discussion very much, but not on the geocaching forums. You may have "leverage" in this discussion because you choose to ignore the mods and sling insults anyway, but I ask you to please stop. I would like to feel comfortable coming here, and I would never insult a Christian. All faiths and religions are valid. So please just stop and stay on topic. I hope the mods agree.

Peace.

-- Gally

Hi there!

While some may consider runes to be a religious item, I think that the OP was talking about items that proselytize, which runes do not. I think most people would like them, or at the very least be okay with them in caches. I would feel equally okay with finding items like crosses, tarot cards, prayer beads, rosaries, etc etc.

Those types of items are symbols or tools. I think the OP was offended by religious tracts because he/she felt like a certain religion was being pushed on them. (Correct me if I'm wrong). Runes certainly wouldn't convey that message in my opinion.

This doesn't mean that we always have to agree, and I certainly don't expect people will agree with me all the time, but I would appreciate not coming here to have my religion, yes, religion insulted by someone else. It's not the time or the place.

I enjoy religious discussion very much, but not on the geocaching forums.

Not all caches are for all cachers. In a similar vein, not all forum threads are for all forum participants. If you don't want to hear about religion, why did you open a thread with "religion" right there in the title?

I'm sorry that one of my fellow Christians dissed your religion. But keep in mind that this entire thread, including the title, dissed his religion.

I'm still not even sure why a thread with the phrase "Religious crap" is allowed to remain on this forum. It looks like the very thread title is a guidelines violation.

Not all caches are for all cachers. In a similar vein, not all forum threads are for all forum participants. If you don't want to hear about religion, why did you open a thread with "religion" right there in the title?

I'm sorry that one of my fellow Christians dissed your religion. But keep in mind that this entire thread, including the title, dissed his religion.

I'm still not even sure why a thread with the phrase "Religious crap" is allowed to remain on this forum. It looks like the very thread title is a guidelines violation.

I didn't start this thread... ? I am very aware that this thread 'disses' his religion. I think it's awful. I don't think anyone's religion should be dissed. Please read the posts that I have made in this thread saying that religious items in caches don't bother me at all, and I have deep respect for Christians. I'm confused as to why you posted this at all...

Edited by nymphnsatyr

This doesn't mean that we always have to agree, and I certainly don't expect people will agree with me all the time, but I would appreciate not coming here to have my religion, yes, religion insulted by someone else. It's not the time or the place.

So the pagan shouldn't open the thread and be offended but the Christian is in the right for "dissing" paganism because Christianity was "dissed" in the OP and thread title. I see.

I'm unsure as to why these threads are allowed to survive past post #2. This could be easily handled with a simple post by a mod followed by a thread closure.

"Trade up or trade even. Sorry, but this is a divisive topic and often strays beyond the scope of a Geocaching forum. As such, these threads are closed to maintain forum peace."

"Trade up or trade even. Sorry, but this is a divisive topic and often strays beyond the scope of a Geocaching forum. As such, these threads are closed to maintain forum peace."

they could just place that in each forum sub chapter, at the top.

when someone new joins up, they can ask why there are only three posts (or just read the one post asking that which is now locked) in the forums if there are 3,000,000 geocachers in the world....

I didn't start this thread... ? I am very aware that this thread 'disses' his religion. I think it's awful. I don't think anyone's religion should be dissed. Please read the posts that I have made in this thread saying that religious items in caches don't bother me at all, and I have deep respect for Christians. I'm confused as to why you posted this at all...

I have reread this, and I understand what you were trying to say now, and I could have been more clear as well. I opened the thread because the title bothered me. I agree with you that a title like "Religious crap" is an awful title for a forum thread. It's antagonistic and very insulting I'm sure.

Please know that I *am* aware that this entire thread disses Christianity, and I certainly do NOT agree with that. It's cruel in my mind to disrespect anyone's religion. That being said, that doesn't give a Christian the right to diss anyone else... I'm sure you've heard the old adage about an eye for an eye. I don't mind discussing the original topic that the thread addressed, but I really don't want to have to defend my spirituality, especially when I didn't try to debate anyone else's. I'm an extremely open-minded person.

I read and responded to the forum because I wanted to add my 2 cents about being a non-Christian and not being bothered at all by Religious items in caches. It's like every other piece of swag, if I don't want to trade for it, I'll just leave it there, meh.

My desire is that the thread stay on topic... although at this point I would like to see it closed. There's just too much opportunity for straying and mudslinging.

Edited by nymphnsatyr

So the pagan shouldn't open the thread and be offended but the Christian is in the right for "dissing" paganism because Christianity was "dissed" in the OP and thread title. I see.

I'm unsure as to why these threads are allowed to survive past post #2. This could be easily handled with a simple post by a mod followed by a thread closure.

Ideally, that would be nice to do. However, when speech is cut off or overly censored, what tends to occur is that the angst gets bottled up and leaks into another area. I'd rather have someone discuss what bothers them, rather than having caches trashed for no apparent reason.