Religious crap in a cache

fly46

Same thing goes for business cards. On more than one occasion I have found many business cards. If I need a layer I'm not going to get one that I found out of a cache. I throw them out every time. Geocaching is not free advertising your your business or service.

I'm always looking for a good "Layer" If you find a business card for one or a cupon...send it my way please.

El Diablo

:rolleyes::):D I didn't check but is he caching in the Vegas area? Might be a problem around there.

I have read this topic with interest.

I think the fact of the matter is that anybody can find anything offensive and non family friendly. This might mean I find advertising of commercial toys offensive and therefore don't want any toys in geocaches.

Surely we all have enough respect to see that prayer cards or religious tracts are not intended to be offensive. If it is ok to drop off a book, then it must be ok to drop off any book that would be for sale without a warning on the cover, as any book (or cd) could contain something that could be considered offensive.

Where do you draw the line? prayer cards? good luck messages? certain images or symbols?

I personally am offended by the title of this thread as the word crap has a stronger meaning in the UK than in the US. That doesn't mean I can't listen with respect to what people from the US write here.

Lets get some balance - geocaching is a great sport and if you don't like something you find you can just leave it alone!

I have read this topic with interest.

I think the fact of the matter is that anybody can find anything offensive and non family friendly. This might mean I find advertising of commercial toys offensive and therefore don't want any toys in geocaches.

Surely we all have enough respect to see that prayer cards or religious tracts are not intended to be offensive. If it is ok to drop off a book, then it must be ok to drop off any book that would be for sale without a warning on the cover, as any book (or cd) could contain something that could be considered offensive.

Where do you draw the line? prayer cards? good luck messages? certain images or symbols?

I personally am offended by the title of this thread as the word crap has a stronger meaning in the UK than in the US. That doesn't mean I can't listen with respect to what people from the US write here.

Lets get some balance - geocaching is a great sport and if you don't like something you find you can just leave it alone!

Well said!

I do think it's unfortunate that this discussion had to occur under a heading that uses the word "crap."

As much as I hate to see people using caches to promote their religious and/or political ideas, referring to it as "crap" just drags the discourse down to a point where anger and mud-slinging are almost inevitable.

I do think it's unfortunate that this discussion had to occur under a heading that uses the word "crap."

As much as I hate to see people using caches to promote their religious and/or political ideas, referring to it as "crap" just drags the discourse down to a point where anger and mud-slinging are almost inevitable.

Thank you - as a religious person, that word just isn't helpful as a topic starter here.

You know, caching is a family sport and it's played all over the world by all different types of people. I want this to be a fun hobby. But stuff like that really bothers me. Like, really, really, really.

Here is the thing, I go to church, my family goes to church, many of my friends go to church. We love it. So if I drop a card in your cache that says, "Come to my church, you'll love it," you'll be so bothered that you need to rant and rave about it? Did the thought ever occur to you that someone might pick up that card, go to the church, and be grateful for the invitation?

We can argue what should and should not be put in caches, but given the crap I routinely have found in caches, your complaint says more a about you than the person who placed the so called "offensive" item.

I am always amused by the bigotry of those so called tolerant folks out there who are so intolerant of Christians. Or how about the notion expressed by another poster that I would be imposing my views on him/her by placing a card in a cache. Is your mind so empty that merely looking at a card will cause its message to take you over?

It is interesting to note that the only time you ever see expression of anger towards a person expressing their faith in some way, even the slightest minimal way, it is always a non-Christian attacking a Christian.

As for me, I have never once found anything in a cache that I was particularly interested in taking. But something interesting to read might be nice. So let's ban such things and stick with the crap. Makes a lot of sense???

Edited by The Whodunwhat Master

Here is the thing, I go to church, my family goes to church, many of my friends go to church. We love it. So if I drop a card in your cache that says, "Come to my church, you'll love it," you'll be so bothered that you need to rant and rave about it? Did the thought ever occur to you that someone might pick up that card, go to the church, and be grateful for the invitation?

We can argue what should and should not be put in caches, but given the crap I routinely have found in caches, your complaint says more a about you than the person who placed the so called "offensive" item.

I am always amused by the bigotry of those so called tolerant folks out there who are so intolerant of Christians. Or how about the notion expressed by another poster that I would be imposing my views on him/her by placing a card in a cache. Is your mind so empty that merely looking at a card will cause its message to take you over?

It is interesting to note that the only time you ever see expression of anger towards a person expressing their faith in some way, even the slightest minimal way, it is always a non-Christian attacking a Christian.

As for me, I have never once found anything in a cache that I was particularly interested in taking. But something interesting to read might be nice. So let's ban such things and sstick with the crap. Makes a lot of sense???

OK, I hear ya. Let's try a different track.

Let's say, for the sake of argument...

Here is the thing, I go to nudist camps, my family goes to nudist camps, many of my friends go to camps. We love it. So if I drop a card in your cache that says, "Come to my nudist camp, you'll love it," you'll be so bothered that you need to rant and rave about it? Did the thought ever occur to you that someone might pick up that card, go to the nudist camp, and be grateful for the invitation?

Your own words with a different, controversial, yet family friendly, culture exchanged.

Now how do you feel about it?

Edited by bittsen

first of all understand that while i do not go to church and i am not a religious person, i do not judge, nor do i have anything against those that do go to church

religious or not is a matter of personal choice, and as such i do not need anyone telling me what church to go to or what "higher power" to believe in

so now lets look at the other side of the coin, how would you feel if someone dropped a card in a cache saying something like [insert here comment against being religious]

so when it comes to personal choices, no matter what they are, the best thing is to "live and let live"

What is "religious crap"? Last I knew crap was agnostic. Can crap really be religious? I had no idea!! Is there a "crap heaven" where good craps go when they die? More importantly, is there a crap hell for all the rest? For that matter, when did crap stop being transformed by the forum software to a scaley fish? And come to think of it, can carp be religious? Oh, the mind boggles!!! :)

What is "religious crap"? Last I knew crap was agnostic. Can crap really be religious? I had no idea!! Is there a "crap heaven" where good craps go when they die? More importantly, is there a crap hell for all the rest? For that matter, when did crap stop being transformed by the forum software to a scaley fish? And come to think of it, can carp be religious? Oh, the mind boggles!!! :D

:) Welcome back KC!! Hope the vacation was good!

What is "religious crap"? Last I knew crap was agnostic. Can crap really be religious? I had no idea!! Is there a "crap heaven" where good craps go when they die? More importantly, is there a crap hell for all the rest? For that matter, when did crap stop being transformed by the forum software to a scaley fish? And come to think of it, can carp be religious? Oh, the mind boggles!!! :D

:) Welcome back KC!! Hope the vacation was good!

yes! welcome back!

Always? Really?

Between 315 and 6th century thousands of pagan believers were slain. Examples of destroyed Temples include the Sanctuary of Aesculap in Aegaea, the Temple of Aphrodite in Golgatha, Aphaka in Lebanon and the Heliopolis. Pagan services became punishable by death in 356. Christian Emperor Theodosius (408-450) even had children executed because they had been playing with remains of pagan statues. The world famous female philosopher Hypatia of Alexandria was torn to pieces with glass fragments by a hysterical Christian mob led by a Christian minister named Peter, in a church, in 415.

Emperor Karl (Charlemagne) in 782 had 4500 Saxons beheaded because they were unwilling to convert to Christianity. The Battle of Belgrad in 1456 saw 80,000 Turks slaughtered by Christians because of their religious differences.

The first Crusade, in 1095, was launched on command of pope Urban II. Semlin/Hungary, Wieselburg/Hungary, Nikaia, Xerigordon (then turkish), each saw thousands of their peoples slain by Christians because of their belief. According to Christian chronicler Fulcher of Chartres, the Christians "did no other harm to the women found in [the enemy's] tents - save that they ran their lances through their

bellies,". When Jerusalem was conquered in 7/15/1099 more than 60,000 victims (Jewish,

muslim, men, women, children) were killed by Christians. The Battle of Askalon, 8/12/1099 saw 200,000 heathens slaughtered "in the name of Our Lord Jesus Christ".

It is estimated that the rest of Crusades, up to the fall of Akkon in 1291 saw 20 million people slain in the Holy land and Arab/Turkish areas because they held different beliefs.

In the era of witch hunting, (1484-1750), according to modern scholars several hundred thousand people(about 80% female) were burned at the stake or hanged for the merest suggestion that they might not be devout Christians.

Onward to America...

Reverend Solomon Stoddard, one of New England's most esteemed religious leaders, in 1703 formally proposed to the Massachusetts Governor that the colonists be given the financial wherewithal to purchase and train large packs of dogs "to hunt Indians as they do bears". Stoddard did not consider Indians to be human, because they were not Christians.

In the 1860s, in Hawaii, the Reverend Rufus Anderson surveyed the carnage that by then had reduced those islands' native population by 90 percent or more, and he declined to see it as tragedy; "The expected

total die-off of the Hawaiian population was only natural", this missionary said, "somewhat equivalent to the amputation of diseased members of the body".

Back to Europe?

Between 1942 and 1943, in Croatia, there existed numerous extermination camps, run by Catholic Ustasha under their dictator Ante Paveliç, a practising Catholic and regular visitor to the then pope. In these camps - the most notorious being Jasenovac, headed by a Franciscan friar - Serbians, including a substantial number of Jews, were murdered. The number of deaths at the hands of these Christians have been estimated at between 300,000 and 600,000 souls.

The list goes on and on.

BTW, this is not a knock on Christians. It is merely pointing out the silliness of beliefs such as yours.

People of evil come in all shapes, sizes, colors and religious preferences, including Christianity.

The original post doesn't single out a particular sect of Christianity or Christians in general.

Christians certainly aren't the only people who like to share their religion by handing out pamphlets and tracts, and not all Christians do this.

I haven't seen anybody in this post claiming to be more tolerant and open-minded than anybody else. We're all navigating the difficult waters of getting along with different people. We all have different backgrounds and different experiences.

I have seen people express anger toward those of faiths other than Christianity. I live in an area with a large Muslim community where I have heard others make very nasty remarks about women wearing hijabs (an expression of their faith/culture). I've also seen people express anger about Muslim students praying in public spaces at my university.

I have also witnessed derogatory remarks made about Jewish people, Hindu people, and Wiccan-Pagan people. I have also witnessed people expressing anger toward Christians, but not JUST Christians.

Edited by narcissa

Remove the tract and replace with equal value.

Most tracts (unless self produced) have a cost per copy printed someplace on them.

Typically this value is 0.001 or less.

I buy 12 rolls of scott for about $15.00 or 1.25 a roll.

1000 sheets to a roll so 0.00125.

So if I leave 4 sheets of TP I'm trading even, make it 5 or more and we have up.

Self produced? about 120 sheets for the monetary value and that is assuming good paper and expensive ink. Personally I think one should concider how much one could sell it for, on say, I don't know, ebay?

If that's the case then the person that put the tract in there owes me some TP.

Now I'll be honest, if I found one in a cache printed 100 years ago, I would freak the hell out (for lack of a better term) and pack as much swag as I can into the cache in a lame attempt to trade even. Even if the thing specifically condemned me and my religion.

I take that back because if it specifically condemned me, then I might forget I ever saw it and undergo an unexplainable conversion to it's particular brand of dogma. :wub:

Always? Really? ....

People of evil come in all shapes, sizes, colors and religious preferences, including Christianity.

CR, you've managed to insert some cold, hard facts into what has become a mostly emotional debate.

Well done, sir. Very well done.

--Larry

BUT... But..... I bet none of those ever posted in forums. :wub:

i just started geocaching a few days ago. Still haven't committed to purchasing a GPS device (money issues, of course), but i luckily found a posting that was more of a map/logic puzzle, and therefore was able to find the cache with no problem. It was an honest-to-goodness exciting adventure that got me out of the house and did wonders for my mood, until i opened the tin - among the tiny objects hidden within, there was a small wooden cross (big deal), and a small wooden coin that had been specifically etched with a regional church's name and credo. in the middle was the large word, 'GEOCACHERS'. [EDIT: i have just now read up about 'geocoins'.]

Now look, there's no need to tell us, the finders, that you're a geocacher. Seems pretty obvious, considering. But even more to the point, there is no need to proselytize! Please, just sign the log! Feel good about yourself and everyone who was there before you and move on! Don't make us heathens feel ostracized. It's not as if we're leaving specifically agnostic (or satanic) items lying around in caches just to get the goat of the believers (at least, i hope no one is). Politics and religion should stay out of this activity. No bones about it. You can't please all the people, all of the time. Neutrality seems like a great strength here.

i wanted to throw the coin away, then felt like that would be disrespectful. So i left a small pin from my bag (featuring a tree and a bird), because i had nothing else, and took the "Faith Community" coin as a token of my first find. Really wish this hadn't been the first thing i ever found. Felt almost as bad as seeing someone's graffiti tag on a fence or something. In any case, i will be keeping my eyes out for more, and they will probably be removed by me; some of us aren't out here looking for religion, merely an activity to get out in (and celebrate) the wonderful world we're in. Please keep your spiritual views to yourself. Cheers.

It has been said the great thing about geocaching is anyone can do it. The bad thing about geocaching is that anyone can do it.

I guess I would much rather find a religious coin in a cache instead of a condom. I've seen plenty religious stuff in a cache but I have yet to get my knickers in a bunch over it. Now what really chaps my hide is 73 real estate agent cards or a golf ball. My God! I once found a cache with TWO golf balls in it, and worse than that one was dirty!

In any case, i will be keeping my eyes out for more, and they will probably be removed by me

Thank you so much for protecting us. Your service to the Geocaching community should be recognized. How about someone out there make some wooden coins she can use as trade items?

Bravo Silver.Girl! Bravo!

Always? Really?

Between 315 and 6th century thousands of pagan believers were slain. Examples of destroyed Temples include the Sanctuary of Aesculap in Aegaea, the Temple of Aphrodite in Golgatha, Aphaka in Lebanon and the Heliopolis. Pagan services became punishable by death in 356. Christian Emperor Theodosius (408-450) even had children executed because they had been playing with remains of pagan statues. The world famous female philosopher Hypatia of Alexandria was torn to pieces with glass fragments by a hysterical Christian mob led by a Christian minister named Peter, in a church, in 415.

Emperor Karl (Charlemagne) in 782 had 4500 Saxons beheaded because they were unwilling to convert to Christianity. The Battle of Belgrad in 1456 saw 80,000 Turks slaughtered by Christians because of their religious differences.

The first Crusade, in 1095, was launched on command of pope Urban II. Semlin/Hungary, Wieselburg/Hungary, Nikaia, Xerigordon (then turkish), each saw thousands of their peoples slain by Christians because of their belief. According to Christian chronicler Fulcher of Chartres, the Christians "did no other harm to the women found in [the enemy's] tents - save that they ran their lances through their

bellies,". When Jerusalem was conquered in 7/15/1099 more than 60,000 victims (Jewish,

muslim, men, women, children) were killed by Christians. The Battle of Askalon, 8/12/1099 saw 200,000 heathens slaughtered "in the name of Our Lord Jesus Christ".

It is estimated that the rest of Crusades, up to the fall of Akkon in 1291 saw 20 million people slain in the Holy land and Arab/Turkish areas because they held different beliefs.

In the era of witch hunting, (1484-1750), according to modern scholars several hundred thousand people(about 80% female) were burned at the stake or hanged for the merest suggestion that they might not be devout Christians.

Onward to America...

Reverend Solomon Stoddard, one of New England's most esteemed religious leaders, in 1703 formally proposed to the Massachusetts Governor that the colonists be given the financial wherewithal to purchase and train large packs of dogs "to hunt Indians as they do bears". Stoddard did not consider Indians to be human, because they were not Christians.

In the 1860s, in Hawaii, the Reverend Rufus Anderson surveyed the carnage that by then had reduced those islands' native population by 90 percent or more, and he declined to see it as tragedy; "The expected

total die-off of the Hawaiian population was only natural", this missionary said, "somewhat equivalent to the amputation of diseased members of the body".

Back to Europe?

Between 1942 and 1943, in Croatia, there existed numerous extermination camps, run by Catholic Ustasha under their dictator Ante Paveliç, a practising Catholic and regular visitor to the then pope. In these camps - the most notorious being Jasenovac, headed by a Franciscan friar - Serbians, including a substantial number of Jews, were murdered. The number of deaths at the hands of these Christians have been estimated at between 300,000 and 600,000 souls.

The list goes on and on.

BTW, this is not a knock on Christians. It is merely pointing out the silliness of beliefs such as yours.

C. R. Nearly all of your examples are of the Roman Catholic version of Christianity. Most of us Non-Catholic Christians (Protestants) despised what the Catholics did in the name of organized religion. Before you paint all Christians with a broad brush, realize their are plenty of peaceful, and very happy Christians that love to geocache, and never advocate violence in the name of religion.

I can't wait for the day when members of militant Islam start leaving pamphlets warning infidels of certain death in geocaches. :)

Before you paint all Christians with a broad brush, realize their are plenty of peaceful, and very happy Christians that love to geocache

I hope I didn't come across that way. What I was trying to say is that religious based violence is not limited to non-Christian sects. Being violent is something every one of us, regardless of our spiritual belief, has in our history somewhere. I only targeted Christian acts of violence to counter the silly notion which I quoted. Committing atrocities in the name of a Deity is a time honored tradition amongst mankind.

Please keep your spiritual views to yourself. Cheers.

Ironically, the only response that comes to my head is "practice what you preach".

:)

I am not sure that the best way to keep your views to yourself was to bump a topic that had finally died a month ago. Just some observations.

If only it were as easy to convert people to Christianity as some make it seem.

You would think from how upset some get at the mere presence of a cross in a cache that the urge to convert is very strong. Otherwise, why do people get so intensely worked up over it?

While I can uderstand someone getting upset if they opened a cache only to find it filled to the brim with religious or political swag, I just don't understand how finding an occasional item placed by another cacher, not the hider, evokes such hostility.

Please keep your spiritual views to yourself. Cheers.

Ironically, the only response that comes to my head is "practice what you preach".

:)

I am not sure that the best way to keep your views to yourself was to bump a topic that had finally died a month ago. Just some observations.

Amen, Bro. Mtn-Man. Preach on!

i just started geocaching a few days ago. Still haven't committed to purchasing a GPS device (money issues, of course), but i luckily found a posting that was more of a map/logic puzzle, and therefore was able to find the cache with no problem. It was an honest-to-goodness exciting adventure that got me out of the house and did wonders for my mood, until i opened the tin - among the tiny objects hidden within, there was a small wooden cross (big deal), and a small wooden coin that had been specifically etched with a regional church's name and credo. in the middle was the large word, 'GEOCACHERS'. [EDIT: i have just now read up about 'geocoins'.]

Now look, there's no need to tell us, the finders, that you're a geocacher. Seems pretty obvious, considering. But even more to the point, there is no need to proselytize! Please, just sign the log! Feel good about yourself and everyone who was there before you and move on! Don't make us heathens feel ostracized. It's not as if we're leaving specifically agnostic (or satanic) items lying around in caches just to get the goat of the believers (at least, i hope no one is). Politics and religion should stay out of this activity. No bones about it. You can't please all the people, all of the time. Neutrality seems like a great strength here.

i wanted to throw the coin away, then felt like that would be disrespectful. So i left a small pin from my bag (featuring a tree and a bird), because i had nothing else, and took the "Faith Community" coin as a token of my first find. Really wish this hadn't been the first thing i ever found. Felt almost as bad as seeing someone's graffiti tag on a fence or something. In any case, i will be keeping my eyes out for more, and they will probably be removed by me; some of us aren't out here looking for religion, merely an activity to get out in (and celebrate) the wonderful world we're in. Please keep your spiritual views to yourself. Cheers.

DITTO. PLEASE keep your spiritual-disliking views to yourself. Ooh.. did that coin really offend you? As someone who doesn't necessarily care one way or the other, I am on my high horse telling both sides to get over yourselves. You don't have a right to go your entire life not being offended.

Before you paint all Christians with a broad brush, realize their are plenty of peaceful, and very happy Christians that love to geocache

I hope I didn't come across that way. What I was trying to say is that religious based violence is not limited to non-Christian sects. Being violent is something every one of us, regardless of our spiritual belief, has in our history somewhere. I only targeted Christian acts of violence to counter the silly notion which I quoted. Committing atrocities in the name of a Deity is a time honored tradition amongst mankind.

Sure. But most Christians have evolved since the crusades. It's time other violent religions do the same. :rolleyes:

If only it were as easy to convert people to Christianity as some make it seem.

You would think from how upset some get at the mere presence of a cross in a cache that the urge to convert is very strong. Otherwise, why do people get so intensely worked up over it?

While I can uderstand someone getting upset if they opened a cache only to find it filled to the brim with religious or political swag, I just don't understand how finding an occasional item placed by another cacher, not the hider, evokes such hostility.

i actually don't understand someone getting upset by a cache loaded to the brim with whatever swag... hehe. i like caches loaded with swag. this thread makes me want to make a cache loaded with religious swag that says "in order to get the smiley, you must attend # of services at the following address"

oh...and free bump for the haters. :rolleyes:

385 posts on this one topic?! Can we STOP and move on to other things already? Rather you like it or don't like it...MOVE ON!!!!! Enough is Enough. Everyone has their minds made up one way or the other and the back and forth is very tiresome.

This is supposed to be a FUN sport!

385 posts on this one topic?! Can we STOP and move on to other things already? Rather you like it or don't like it...MOVE ON!!!!! Enough is Enough. Everyone has their minds made up one way or the other and the back and forth is very tiresome.

eh, this is par for the course. it'll pop back up again in a few months. Somebody keeps putting it on the discussion schedule. :rolleyes:

Repeat after me, "the forum is not geocaching".

Don't make us heathens feel ostracized.

If the mere sight of a cross on a coin makes you this upset, you are too sensitive to geocache. In fact, you are too sensitive to even leave your house... you might see a church and begin to feel ostracized.

or a penny with "in god we trust"...

:rolleyes:

eh, this is par for the course. it'll pop back up again in a few months. Somebody keeps putting it on the discussion schedule. :rolleyes:

A new "Bring Back Virtuals!!!" thread is scheduled to begin by friday. :ph34r:

"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " -- Steven Weinberg

Religion doesn't get a pass simply because it's religion. It's up for discussion just like everything else. Why is it so untouchable re: geocaching, and why are so many people shying away from what is a valid geocaching topic?

I bet dollars to doughnuts that if those protesting the removal of religious swag came across invitations to the local mosque or invitations for a free e-meter audit they'd remove that material in a heartbeat.

"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " -- Steven Weinberg

Religion doesn't get a pass simply because it's religion. It's up for discussion just like everything else. Why is it so untouchable re: geocaching, and why are so many people shying away from what is a valid geocaching topic?

I bet dollars to doughnuts that if those protesting the removal of religious swag came across invitations to the local mosque or invitations for a free e-meter audit they'd remove that material in a heartbeat.

What's an 'e-meter' audit?

What's an 'e-meter' audit?

Ask Tom Cruise. Or John Travolta. Or one of those types. :rolleyes:

I believe the protest is about leaving it. Taking it (or removing) is up to the finder. If you like it, take it. If you don't like it, remove it. if you don't care...uhmmm...shuffle it around looking for swag you do like.

Trade even, trade up, or don't trade at all.