Would it be improper to ask a CO

Hi all,

There is a hidden park in my area...not really a park as in playground or anything. It's a verteran's memorial park that has a trail that goes through it, beginning and ending in the same area. There is one cache there already and I tried hiding a cache of my own, but my reviewer said it was too close to the other cache, 476 feet apart. If I go any further back though, I'll be hiding it right at the beginning of the trail and within site of the parking lot. I haven't re-submitted it, just estimating on my own.

Would it be rude of me to send the other CO a note, asking if he might possibly move his cache over 50 feet or so that there could be two caches w/in the main body of this small park and not just the one?

When the rain stops I'm going to go back out there and get a new set of coords to see if I can still hide mine out of sight of the parking lot. If not, though, I'd like to be able to put two on this trail. The other cache has been there a year now with 25 finds. I think if there were two caches here, more people would enjoy this quiet trail.

It will all depend on how you handle it, and how you respond if they don't want to. I've been on the asking AND receiving end of a request to archive a missing cache in order to make room for a new one. Both times things were handled well, and resulted in a new, interesting Cache. I've also seen good results from asking a CO to move about 80 feet. If the CO is attached to the spot, or it's crucial to the Cache hide then it might not work out, but depending on how you ask, there might be a way to make things work.

Seems obvious, but I assume you have already scored a find on the subject cache. Might want to start by complementing the hider on his/her WONDERFUL choice of spot and OUTSTANDING container, its a shame it is SOOOOO lonely, perhaps it would like a friend to play with... perhaps propose using a derivitive name (Ricky and Lucy, Bonny and Clyde, William and Shakes beer, etc) and be prepared to be ignored or rebuffed. It's worth a shot.

If it were my cache, I would not have a problem with a polite well written request. After all I would not want to hog a whole park.

Provided I could find a suitable place for my cache of course.

I suspect there would be many that would not be impressed though.

Depends on your people skills.

If approached right and without a sense of entitlement I expect that most cachers would at least consider it.

You certainly wouldn't be the first to ask a cacher to help accommodate more caches in an area.

It's been my experience that most cachers are friendly, open helpful people who want more caches to be hidden.

He might even jump at the chance since a new location would entice folks who have already found it to come look again.

You never know if you don't ask. Be sure to say you realize it may appear as an unreasonable request but that you feel their cache and the trail would be enjoyed more if you could squeeze in one more into the park. If it's a nice trail I hope both caches are smalls or bigger so families with children can enjoy them :unsure:

Not only have I asked before, but I also stooped to bribery ( a geocoins ) :D

Emphasis mine.

Ooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................. I LIKE this!! B)

I'll move any of my caches for (insert a very very hard to find geocoin here). :unsure:

Seriously, it depends on how would a move affect my over all cache hide.

Edited by ngrrfan

There's nothing stopping you from asking. You're free to try and talk to whoever you want.

However, no way in he** would I move my cache so you could just fit another one along the trail. I'm happy with the finds I get. I don't need or want another cache on the trail just to try and attract more people. One is enough. Go find your own spot. This one's taken!

Kind of a sidenote, but this totally reminds me of when I was a kid and I would go to the movies on the weekends with my parents. My mom would say now we need to get there early to get a good seat. So we go and get there 30 minutes early to be able to pick the seats we wanted. It never failed that 2 minutes before the movie started, some person would show up and in a rush to find a seat they'd start asking groups of people to to scoot down one seat, or ask groups to move around so they would have a seat. My family saw that as sooo rude of them. If they were so worried about what seat they got, they shoulda showed up 30 min early like we did. Eventually you just take what you can get. You don't ask people to move around and stuff to suit you.

Edited by simpjkee

There's nothing stopping you from asking. You're free to try and talk to whoever you want.

However, no way in he** would I move my cache so you could just fit another one along the trail. I'm happy with the finds I get. I don't need or want another cache on the trail just to try and attract more people. One is enough. Go find your own spot. This one's taken!

Kind of a sidenote, but this totally reminds me of when I was a kid and I would go to the movies on the weekends with my parents. My mom would say now we need to get there early to get a good seat. So we go and get there 30 minutes early to be able to pick the seats we wanted. It never failed that 2 minutes before the movie started, some person would show up and in a rush to find a seat they'd start asking groups of people to to scoot down one seat, or ask groups to move around so they would have a seat. My family saw that as sooo rude of them. If they were so worried about what seat they got, they shoulda showed up 30 min early like we did. Eventually you just take what you can get. You don't ask people to move around and stuff to suit you.

I completely agree with this.

Go ahead and ask. It can't hurt. If it were my cache I would consider it depending on the cache. If the precise location of my cache was a key element of it I would say no. If moving it a short distance doesn't affect the essence of my cache then I would be happy to move it.

Agreed.

If you do end up asking, please let us know how it turns out.

Only once have I ever asked someone to move a cache. Or even considered doing so. Mine is a traditional Degree Confluence cache. It's at N 41 00.000 W 74 00.000. Obviously I could not move it. The other cacher (whom I do know and respect), liked the coords but didn't realize that mine was there. His is a mystery cache. The icons superimposed on the map. He was more than happy to move his mystery cache start.

Other than that I cannot imagine being so presumptuous as to ask a CO to move a cache.

Thanks for all your replies everyone. I know we all have our own opinions and I am still fairly new to the game and don't want to rub anyone the wrong way.

I personally don't like LPC's, but there is no lamp post by the trail anyway.

There isn't alot of public land in my area. This is actually in another town over because my town has only one public, in great need of updating, park within its limits and there is already a cache there and no room for another.

The particular park I'm talking about isn't very big and the cache hide is right in the middle. GC1NQP4 cuz I know you're all curious.

I'm going to go out there again tomorrow and move it closer to the entrance and then do the coords search and see what the distance is. Maybe I won't need to contact him, I just go to this wooded area often with my dog and kids and think it would be more worthwhile if there was another, and there is room for another.

If I were to be asked, I would consider it. Even more so after looking at the map geocaching.com provides and seeing this cache I'm referring to right smack dab in the middle of the park. If it were mine, I'd move over.

Go ahead and ask. It can't hurt. If it were my cache I would consider it depending on the cache. If the precise location of my cache was a key element of it I would say no. If moving it a short distance doesn't affect the essence of my cache then I would be happy to move it.

This is the answer you need. Some people are just rude and won't even think of anyone but themselves so I wouldn't expect a yes.

I cannot imagine why someone would not even CONSIDER moving their cache if the location isn't key to the hide.

I also agree that the way you word your request will have a lot to do with the response you get.

Just my opinion of course.

What he said.

When I was setting up Frankenfeet, there was a cache some 100 feet from where mine needed to go. (for the reason, go read the description)

Anyway, I mailed that CO, told him what I was up to, and very politely asked him if he would/could move his cache. Less that 2 hours later, he sent me a note that is was moved plenty far, so I could get mine published.

IT all depends on how you ask, and what your reasons are.

What he said.

When I was setting up Frankenfeet, there was a cache some 100 feet from where mine needed to go. (for the reason, go read the description)

Anyway, I mailed that CO, told him what I was up to, and very politely asked him if he would/could move his cache. Less that 2 hours later, he sent me a note that is was moved plenty far, so I could get mine published.

Two excellent responses! Of course my hides are all perfect so noone would ever consider asking me to move one. :unsure: Seriously, I did get an email a few years ago from a cacher I knew, who said he had a great idea for a multi in a new park where I had a cache. My cache wasn't great so I considered his request when I decided to archive it some time later. He has never done anything about placing his cool multi. If I get a similar request at any point in the future I would require a "walk through" so I could see the placement and the container.

What he said.

Two excellent responses! Of course my hides are all perfect so noone would ever consider asking me to move one. :unsure: Seriously, I did get an email a few years ago from a cacher I knew, who said he had a great idea for a multi in a new park where I had a cache. My cache wasn't great so I considered his request when I decided to archive it some time later. He has never done anything about placing his cool multi. If I get a similar request at any point in the future I would require a "walk through" so I could see the placement and the container.

Not unreasonable.

So in order to accommodate Johnny come lately who wants to put out HIS SECOND HIDE I am supposed to go out. Rescout the area, find a suitable spot, move it, camo it and then redo the coordiantes on the website.

That is so self centered and selfish that i wouldn't even respond to him.

It's a big world, find your own spot, don't expect world to accommodate you.

So in order to accommodate Johnny come lately who wants to put out HIS SECOND HIDE I am supposed to go out. Rescout the area, find a suitable spot, move it, camo it and then redo the coordiantes on the website.

You don't know anything about my area and nothing about me. But from your reply above, I can tell a lot about you.

A somewhat related question....

Say the CO did agree to move the 1st cache to a different location, would it then be fair to log another find on it if you go find it in it's new spot?

Generally yes, it is a new hide and most owners in my experience invite previous finders to hunt it again.

But, I don't get the need for the OP, unless he caches on foot or bicycle. I looked at the Geocaching Google Map round GC1NQP4 and can see dozens of interesting places to hide a cache. That particular park may be able to hold two if the first is moved, but rather than ask him to move it (which he would likely do) he'd probably have the same question I do... why not hide caches in all that open land, river, lakes, wildlife preserves, etc?

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I offered to move my cache a little bit to accomodate someone who was trying to place a cache in the same park but was about 20 feet too close. The other cacher could not move theirs any further away because of a physical barrier, but I was able to move mine, and was happy to since it did not affect the hide.

good-side-of-asking | bad-side-of-asking

The good side of asking is easy to see, the bad, not so easy.

Cacher B askes Cacher A to make a little room without any compelling case.

Cacher A refuses.

A day, week, month later, Cacher A's cache comes up missing.

With zero proof, Cacher B gets the blame.

Now if Cacher A is the vindictive type then Cacher B's caches start to regularly turn up missing.

Cacher B starts making all his caches PMOC in hopes of stopping it or catching the thief.

Cacher A is to crafty to ever directly view the pages so B never knows.

Then along comes Cacher C who likes looking at PMOC pages and promptly gets the blame because he didn't go log a find it fast enough.

Pot, meet Kettle. You're answer is as self centered and selfish as you make the requester to be.

I don't think it would be rude, exactly, to ask the existing cache owner if he would mind moving his cache. But you should certainly be prepared for him to say "no." And you should have a better reason than "this park needs another cache."

When I was looking for a spot to place my "Rules of Engagement" cache, I thought of a small park halfway between my office and my girlfriend's office. We used to meet there for lunch nearly every day when we were first dating. But it already had a cache in it.

Honestly, it never occurred to me to ask the CO to move it so I could put one there. I just figured I'd put it near the place where we used to go jogging, instead.

It's a big old world out there.

I know I would not receive such a request very well unless it gave a VERY compelling argument as to why mine was not in a good spot.

Just so you can hide one - doesn't sound very compelling to me.

My answer would be a big fat NO unless you were a crippled kid with cancer or you offered me a puppy. I just love puppies. :smile: