Letterbox-hybrid nuance

geoquino

Hello everyone,

I have got two questions concerning a letterbox-hybrid cache:

1. Is it possible to use custom-made stickers ("paper stamps") instead of a rubber stamp?

2. Is the use of GPS device fullfiled by setting the coordinates of the cache. I mean the given coordinates are the starting point of a journey. You need the GPS unit to get to these coordinates and later you just follow non-GPS instructions.

Thanks for help.

Oops.. forgot to answer the second part of your question -

Many caches have been offset where you go to coordinants and then do something with a compas instead of your GPSr, so that would be perfectly fine.

(I should also add that as a non-letterbox enthusiast, I'd be happy to find a sticker in a cache. :) But I think you need to worry more about the letterbox people in this case.)

My understanding of letterbox-hybrids is that they are basically caches with both a regular logbook and a stamp.

For those into letterboxing, you can stamp the logbook and use the provided stamp to stamp your personal logbook.

If you aren't into letterboxing then you can sign the logbook as you would normally. That could be a signature or your personlized sticker.

Most letterbox-hybrids I have seen are listed with the coordinates of the box's location just like a traditional.

However, the guidelines just say that use of a gps must be integral to the hunt. Going from that, then you could do this like an offset cache or puzzle. I would think that you could give coordinates to a starting point and then give clues to the location.

If you have a particular idea in mind, you may want to contact a reviewer to be sure you're on the right track.

Hello everyone,

1. Is it possible to use custom-made stickers ("paper stamps") instead of a rubber stamp?

Fly46 is correct that stickers will disappoint letterbox enthusiasts. The guidelines state that a letterbox hybrid must contain a stamp. If you place stickers in the box a reviewer may revoke your box's letterbox status. Also if you place stickers you will need to replenish them often - depending on how many visitors and whether someone comes along and takes all the stickers at once. With a stamp you leave it in the box and never have to replenish it (assuming no one inadvertently takes it).

If you do still want to hide a letterbox, with a stamp, please please consider making the stamp relevant to the location or theme of your cache, or make the theme of your cache relevant to your stamp. Example, if you have a waterfall stamp, you might want to hide it near a waterfall. Or if you have a Mickey Mouse stamp you might want to call the box "Mouse Madness" or "A Mouse in the House" or something more clever. I've found so many letterbox hybrids where the CO just threw in any old stamp that they found in the kid's toybox, with no tie-in to the location e.g. a cupcake stamp at a covered bridge; or tie-in to the title of the cache e.g. "Dragonfly Park Letterbox" with a stamp of an elephant.

Edited by Lone R

1. No.

2. It depends on whether the coordinates are meaningful. Taking the finder to a random point in the woods to a specific pair of coordinates, from which letterbox style clues lead to the cache, would be fine. Providing general coordinates for a parking lot would not be enough GPS use.

Examples of what I consider to be a proper, well done Letterbox are any of mine (e.g. GC1MEA4) and JSDAFM's 'Welcome to Gatineau'

A GPS must be integral to the hunt, but it doesn't have to be at the posted co-ords (and I personally think that it's really lame to do that).

I gave a better answer in one of the other recent threads on Letterbox-Hybrids, so I'll point you there. I'll also reiterate my offer to make and send you a stamp if your LBH is of high enough quality. I really want to go to Slovakia & the Czech Republic one day, so who knows - I might find your LBH! :)

Edited by Taoiseach

Hello everyone,

2. Is the use of GPS device fullfiled by setting the coordinates of the cache. I mean the given coordinates are the starting point of a journey. You need the GPS unit to get to these coordinates and later you just follow non-GPS instructions.

Thanks for help.

2. That's what usually is done. Since we are talking about letterbox HYBRID-GEOCACHES, not letterboxes as in the completely different hobby letterboxing, the use of a GPSr is mandatory.

1. Letterboxes SHOULD contain a stamp, which stays in the cache. At least that's what I read out of the guidelines. "should" to me has a different meaning than "have to", "must" or "need to", but it seems that the general opinion tends the way that stamps are mandatory.

My opinion: Stickers instead of a stamp is okay, because even a stamp is not required.

GermanSailor

Hello everyone,

Thanks for help.

2. That's what usually is done. Since we are talking about letterbox HYBRID-GEOCACHES, not letterboxes as in the completely different hobby letterboxing, the use of a GPSr is mandatory.

1. Letterboxes SHOULD contain a stamp, which stays in the cache. At least that's what I read out of the guidelines. "should" to me has a different meaning than "have to", "must" or "need to", but it seems that the general opinion tends the way that stamps are mandatory.

My opinion: Stickers instead of a stamp is okay, because even a stamp is not required.

GermanSailor

Oh how I wish that Groundspeak would change the guidelines to read "must contain a stamp" instead of "should". Because, as GermanSailor points out, it can be argued that "should" means a stamp is not required.

Letterboxes SHOULD contain a stamp, which stays in the cache. At least that's what I read out of the guidelines. "should" to me has a different meaning than "have to", "must"

:unsure: This is a case where Should = Must. Believe me.

I suspect the language is there because stamps are sometimes taken, and that should not mean that the cache will be archived. It should mean that the owner will replace the stamp.

A GPS must be integral to the hunt, but it doesn't have to be at the posted co-ords (and I personally think that it's really lame to do that).

I agree. Letterbox-hybrids hidden in the spirit of letterboxing are a lot more fun! (And sort of the whole idea?) Mine is in Central Park, in NYC. Coords take you to a pretty spot, then clues take you to the final. Yes. It has a hand-carved stamp (I'm not the greatest carver). I have had to replace the stamp a few times. Oh, well. Most people have enjoyed it. :unsure:

If it doesn't have a stamp (preferably hand-carved), then it isn't a letterbox-hybrid.

I agree. Letterbox-hybrids hidden in the spirit of letterboxing are a lot more fun! (And sort of the whole idea?)

Actually it isn't the idea at all. If you hide a cache and provide clues to it starting from a specific location it is an offset cache, which is a type of multi.

The entire point of a letterbox hybrid is to hide a container that is both a letterbox and a geocache, not a geocache that is like a letterbox. From a pure geocacher's standpoint the fact that a geocache is a letterbox hybrid means nothing other than the special icon in his profile once he finds it.

Letterboxes SHOULD contain a stamp, which stays in the cache. At least that's what I read out of the guidelines. "should" to me has a different meaning than "have to", "must"

:unsure: This is a case where Should = Must. Believe me.

I suspect the language is there because stamps are sometimes taken, and that should not mean that the cache will be archived. It should mean that the owner will replace the stamp.

The stamp should be replaced in a timely fashion just like any other cache in need of maintenance. A letterbox without a stamp should be disabled until the stamp is replaced, since it is no longer a letterbox but just a regular cache.