What IS Geocaching? What validates your participation?

Snoogans

I haven't started a good debate in some time and the following quote begs for one, but it would be lost in the thread it was posted in sooo.....

The fact is, most of the people that actively post here in the forums don't really go out and geocache. They just sit around the forums all day and complain about how other people geocache.

Really? ;)

This is a tired statement I hear over and over in one form or another and the fact is it isn't true. I see it here and hear about it at events. I started the "What type of cacher am I?" thread when a similar sentiment was posted about me essentially being percieved as retired from caching on a local forum.

SO.... What validates your participation to consider yourself a real geocacher and not some perceived forum poser? ;) I'm specifically calling on bflenje to answer with his/her facts as previously stated, but also ANYONE that shares the sentiment and there are lots of you on that side of the fence. :)

Lets start with me:

I have just over 700 finds and I just started my 8th year of caching. I also have just over 7000 posts in this forum not counting off topic and I'm not quite to the start of my 8th year posting here..... I'll stand on my posting record being more positive than negative, so maybe bflenje might not have had me in mind, but if the shoe fits....

BTW- I have lots more to say on this issue, but this is the best place start.

Anyone have anything to add on either side of the fence? :D I have my facts ready. Lets see if the other side of the fence has ANY facts to stand on.... :laughing:

SO.... What validates your participation to consider yourself a real geocacher and not some perceived forum poser?

My answer to this is:

I have signed my named in logs stored in hidden tupperware containers. This is participation. Anything else, probably not so much (except perhaps organizing meetings and events). I have my named signed on logs in 3 countries and 8 states.

I found my first cache was in July 2008, but most of my cache finds have been within the last year. I am a fish out of water so to speak as I am Canadian, but was relocated by my employer to North Carolina 1.5 years ago. Geocaching is a great way to get my lazy butt out of the house and explore my new surroundings. I only have 110 finds, but that is mostly due to the fact that I prefer quality over quantity. I'll drive an hour for a cache that looks interesting, and skip over the 50 LPCs in between.

I don't let weather stop me from caching. I have cached in Canadian winters, and just yesterday I had 5 finds. It was raining a lot, and I had my wife and kid with me. Most folks went to ground, I went hunting.

I have also converted others I know to caching. I took a family from my church out caching for their first time a month ago, and they have been hooked ever since.

Not to mention my forum post count is less than my find count :)

Edited by debaere

SO.... What validates your participation to consider yourself a real geocacher and not some perceived forum poser? :D I'm specifically calling on bflenje to answer with his/her facts as previously stated, but also ANYONE that shares the sentiment and there are lots of you on that side of the fence. :)

I've been a geocacher 2 months shy of 6 years.

I own 141 caches, 107 of them are still active.

I have 3122 posts.

I think I'm qualified to discuss geocaching related topics.

I haven't started a good debate in some time and the following quote begs for one, but it would be lost in the thread it was posted in sooo.....

The fact is, most of the people that actively post here in the forums don't really go out and geocache. They just sit around the forums all day and complain about how other people geocache.

I guess the truth will out - I'm NOT a real geocacher, I just play one on TV! (I wish!) Actually, the Blue Bow goes out and find all the caches - just reached 1500, yay!! - and kindly lets me log them. I'd happily accompany it, but then I wouldn't get to sit around the forums all day and complain about how make fun of other people complaining about how other people geocache.

Also, my boss might not like it.

But not to worry! My fake geocaching creds are impeccable and up to date, thanks to that Blue Bow ! 35 hides, more or less - does having archived caches add or detract from realgeocacherness? - and like I said, 1500 finds, spread over *gulp* 4 years. So the Blue Bow is slow to get numbers... when was the last time you saw a Blue Bow speed by, anyway? :)

Cheers!

Just started caching, have 7 signed logs to date and 3 hides, and a bunch of postings. As for sitting around in the forums all day, which I tend to do, is because I am computer teacher, when there are no students around I am hunting through the forums. So am I a real geocacher or a figment of my own imagination? the answere to both is YES!

SO.... What validates your participation to consider yourself a real geocacher and not some perceived forum poser? :)

I have to admit that his first sentence is mostly true for me. :laughing:

I cached like a wild man for years, but here lately my neck has gotten so bad that hiking on crutches just isn't worth the pain, so I now find maybe five easy caches a month... but come to think of it I haven't found a cache in six weeks or so. :D

Funny timing that you should ask this now... a series of 25 caches came out Sunday morning, I looked at the email cache notifications and the old something said "Get going, boy!" but after considering it I sat on my fanny and stayed home. Bummer. I've been pondering since then what my lack of motivation to go grab those caches really means. Am I done caching? I hope not!

As a result I'm in the forums talking about the game far more than I'm out playing it. That sux, but there it is.

I suppose playing in the forums keeps me feeling validated, connected to the people and to the game I still love but just can't do like I used to.

The second sentence, however, will I pray never apply to me. I have opinions on many threads here, but I post them in hope that it contributes something positive to the conversation. Lately there have been a few newcomers to the forum who want to fight at the drop of a hat, and I'm trying to stay out of that drama, but sometimes allow myself to get caught up in it. Maybe I've become argumentative because I'm angry that I can't be out caching!

Still, overall, I don't think most of the cachers here are sitting around the forums telling other people how to cache, although the few who do tend to have an out-sized voice and may at times make it appear that way.

I do know this... we have over one thousand cachers in the Alabama Geocachers Association, many of whom are active in our local DixieCachers.com state forum, but there are only two of us who come to this forum regularly! That tells me something... it tells me that whether true or not his second sentence is in fact the way this forum is perceived by many.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

*Cracks Knuckles* Here is my statement for both Snoogans (who, by the way, has aguably my favorite name and avatar picture to date) and whoever that other guy was who Snoogans posted this topic for.

Who gives a crap either way? What do you care if somebody posts in the forums? What do you care if somebody calls you a retired cacher? There are no valid arguments on either side because it's a stupid argument to begin with.

There. I said it. I also have my kevlar vest and riot shield at the ready. Now I'm gonna go caching with my laptop at starbucks so I can find an LPC while logging on the forums. How does that fit into your discussion?

SO.... What validates your participation to consider yourself a real geocacher and not some perceived forum poser? :laughing: I'm specifically calling on bflenje to answer with his/her facts as previously stated, but also ANYONE that shares the sentiment and there are lots of you on that side of the fence. :D

I'd love to offer an opinion, but I'm far too busy out geocaching and doing other "really important" activities. :)

I have just over 1500 finds and I have no idea how many forum posts. I host events every year and have one coming up in April and May. I've created Wherigo caches (not a common feat) and even started a website for cachers in the province I live in (New Brunswick, Canada).

I've been caching for just over two years and I think that based on the items I have said, that validates my participation.

Well I have found caches. I plan on finding more caches. I have a missing travel bug. I have hidden caches. I have active caches listed on GC.com.

I think that qualifies me as a cacher. Like J the Goat said, the rest is all BS. Don't let the Ba#$erds get you down.

PS, maybe I should add that to my signature....

*Cracks Knuckles* Here is my statement for both Snoogans (who, by the way, has aguably my favorite name and avatar picture to date) and whoever that other guy was who Snoogans posted this topic for.

Who gives a crap either way? What do you care if somebody posts in the forums? What do you care if somebody calls you a retired cacher? There are no valid arguments on either side because it's a stupid argument to begin with.

There. I said it. I also have my kevlar vest and riot shield at the ready. Now I'm gonna go caching with my laptop at starbucks so I can find an LPC while logging on the forums. How does that fit into your discussion?

I don't usually agree with goats, but that was a good summary.

My PERSONAL rule has been to keep my posts:# lesser than my number of smileys. A little more than 200 finds, a little less than 200 posts.

A new personal rule of mine, slightly unrelated, is that I should own at least as many caches as I've FTF'd. That way I pay the whole FTF thing forward and give others just as many opportunities as I have taken. I have some catching up to do this year.

But it's not a numbers game so whether it is my finds or hides, quality is key.

I'd like to spend more time caching but the simple fact is that there aren't a lot of caches in my area. So I cache when I can. Especially when I travel. Nevertheless - I have a tad bit over 1000 finds. Should count for something.

I also enjoy hiding and have a bit over 150 hides to my name. That qualifies me.

I've been caching for over 8 years. I think that counts for something.

I own 10 different GPS units. That counts a bit.

I teach GPS and other technology classes. Teaching is in my nature. Sould qualify me a little.

I've hosted events and Cito's. Plus a tad more.

I have an opinion.

I may have lots of forum posts but I'd like to think I've helped out 1 or 2 cachers over the years as well. Thats all the justification I need.

Well, I don't think it really matters for the most part. And personalities are personalities, no matter how many caches or posts you have. But, I like stats, so...

I have a disability of sorts, which at first made me post more, but over the past couple years has actually curtailed my posting quite a bit because I've been too sick to post. I also would have hundreds and hundreds of more finds than I do, if I was well and could cache like I used to.

I'm not sure how many caches I've found, because I've only logged a few of the caches that I've found in the past two years. I'll make a stab at a number, though.

8 years caching (in one month)

7 1/2 years posting

1,500 finds (guesstimate)

93 caches placed (on my own, or co-owned), 16 of which were Events and a CITO

5,840 posts in the regular forums (I'm the 31st top poster here)

15,455 posts in Off Topic

I've taught multiple classes on Geocaching, and help maintain a geocaching program at a summer camp

I volunteer for Groundspeak

I've cached in 25 US States, and 6 countries

I've found 12 out of the 14 cache types (and hope to complete the rest this year)

I hope that I've been helpful and respectul in my posting style over the years. Sometimes it's difficult because I've had to learn how to put across my opinions on a forum in the way that I mean them (feelings and body language do not translate well, here). I also have a problem with arguing, and I do that very poorly here in the forums, so I try to stay light and fluffy for the most part, or I don't post at all. It's been a good learning experience.

Edited by Ambrosia

Snoogans, like you I'm pretty much retired from finding and hiding caches. I've been archiving my hides as they go missing and don't place new ones. Playing the game has lost it's appeal to me, but I still like to share my opinion and experience in the forums.

Snoogans, like you I'm pretty much retired from finding and hiding caches. I've been archiving my hides as they go missing and don't place new ones. Playing the game has lost it's appeal to me, but I still like to share my opinion and experience in the forums.

Not retired in the least here and neither are you in my opinion.

I still have caches planned to hide, TBs to release, and as long as I still have caches to maintain or an opinion to give to this community, I'll be a valid geocacher in my book.

I have caches that have the potential of outliving me because of the environment and the remote location where they are hidden and the proven fact that less weatherproof containers have lasted in the same environment for well over 100 years.

I was a cacher before geocaching existed (hid my 1st in 1980) and if I'm right (and I think I am) I'll have active caches (or at least private ones) long after I'm dead and gone.

Been caching since 2002 on and off. I was a slow starter due to health problems. Did the bulk of my caches in the last 2 years. I post now and then in reply to others and rarely start a thread. Geocaching is my way to get out relieve stress and get some exersize. It helped me through some really tough health problems. I've always been happiest in the woods, I'm a bit of a loner. As my kids say I'm the sketchy guy in the woods.

SO.... What validates your participation to consider yourself a real geocacher and not some perceived forum poser?

Geocaching to me means:

- finding nice geocaches in a nice place

- having a destination to go after a hard day at work or at a new place

- finding out about places I would have never visited without geocaching

/

- hiding geocaches so others have fun

- realizing ideas to provide above average geocaches

Best thing about posting in forums is to help people, especially with questions which can't be answered by simply using a bit of google or reading the manual. Every now an then such questions appear.

GermanSailor

I think that if you're still a part of the caching community, then you're an active participant.

I don't often have a cache partner, and I find the community most of the fun of this sport. Yeah, I'll go out and find a couple here and there - my last find was an earthcache in KY, since I'm working on leveling up in the Earthcache Master's Program - and I still do cache maintenance - just today, in fact. But I'm not getting big number runs like I did before. (I hit 600 in August of 2006 with Cumberland Cliffhanger, I'm only at 750-ish now)

But I still go to events, I still consider the MTGC folks some of my best friends.

Forum participation is irrelevant. Whoever you're quoting is saying that people who can keep the forums up and contribute to the community while, say, they're at work or at home cooking dinner for the kids, aren't valuable to the community in other ways. How many times have I offered advice to a newbie that has then gone out and made a valuable contribution to this sport?

I have over 1200 finds and just returned from a brief visit to Arizona where I met up with another cacher and found Arizona's oldest geocache.

In addition to caching, I'm active with my local geocaching club - I help out by occasionally hosting events, and organizing fundraising activities.

Some of us type fast and like to share our opinions. It doesn't mean we don't also spend time actually geocaching.

I find it a little strange that an individual would accuse others of not being "real" geocachers. When someone throws that kind of tantrum in a forum, I usually assume it's because they've run out of actual arguments.

To see my finds and my hides you can click on the link above my avatar.

I don't seek validation. I'm far too busy having fun and occasionally having an adventure.

Geocaching has taken me so many places I would not have visited otherwise. I have taken geocaching with me, too. I can choose to seek or not seek when I travel, though I usually do try to find a few in the local flavor (it's often amusing to point out some neat little park to people who have lived there all their lives and never knew existed.)

I enjoy placing caches. Some a rather ordinary, some are in spectacular locales, at least one is evil and a couple are very silly and you should not seek them out unless you have a high tolerance for silliness. Reading the logs is sometimes interesting and now and then quite enjoyable. It's good to give back to the community and very easy to do.

I have just over 300 caches. I cranked out a bunch, interests changed, then got back into it. Then got deployed. Twice. Then got back into it. Then sort of let off of it for a bit. I guess what I am saying is that I cache in phases. Depending on what my current situation is. But, I think that I am qualified as a cacher.

I actually prefer caching in crummy weather-no one stops to ask me what I am doing :)

:)

Does lurking count?

I have about 700 more posts than the listed number due to Off-topic posting and I used to post under an alternate-ego. But I am in here all the time.

I've been caching since the summer of 2002, joined the game in 2001 but didn't have a GPSr for a year or so.

When we finally finish logging from the Walla Walla Cache Machine, we will have over 4000 finds.

I don't post too often, mainly because either Snoogans or Briansnat have already posted my opinion for me. It sure is nice that they can channel my opinions most of the time, saves wear and tear on my keyboard.

:laughing:

Jen

:D

I am not a real geocacher. All of my finds are armchair logs and my hides are armchair placements.

All of those who I have met caching are actually paid to pretend they have met me and all of my signatures on the logs assoicated with my finds were done by leprochauns, faeries, trolls and a few worms. The barely legible ones were done by the worms. They don't have fingers so it's hard for them to hold the pen.

All the police encounters were actually the ploice officers getting hallucinogenic coffee from Dunkin Donuts. They never really saw me even though they may have written down that they did.

Yup, I'm not a real geocacher.

As of today (3/23/10) I have 427 finds and have had a consecutive find streak extending back to November 24, 2009. I started Caching on November 22, 2009. I've currently posted 29 messages to this board.

This is approximately 1 post for every 14.7 finds. I think this qualifies me as 'real', albeit a newbie...

Caching for 3 years. 2700 finds on a number of different cache types. ie, 102 multis, 98 puzzles, 35 virts, 36 events. I own 25 caches of 4 different cache types. I've also moved 200+ trackables and own 10.

Right now I am as active a cacher as I have ever been. In fact my caching is expanding to Waymarking and Benchmark hunting.

In the last week:

Found 25-30 caches

Visited 75 Waymarks

Placed 4 Waymarks

Recovered 23 Benchmarks

Made about 100 or so posts

The only geocaching activity I haven't done recently is Wherigo, but I'll start once I get the fancy gadgets.

I would say I'm qualified as an experienced and active cacher and not just a forum poser.

I think there are a lot of people who read the forums regularly but don't post. I occasionally get emails from people who follow my comments, and I wouldn't be surprised if other prolific commenters did as well.

Only once for me. About a year ago someone I hadn't seen post e-mailed me to ask me about my avatar.

I think there are a lot of people who read the forums regularly but don't post. I occasionally get emails from people who follow my comments, and I wouldn't be surprised if other prolific commenters did as well.

Only once for me. About a year ago someone I hadn't seen post e-mailed me to ask me about my avatar.

Absolutely. I believe that there's quite a few. I've received comments here and there as well, both in emails and in person. I'm a heavy lurker, myself. I'm on here all the time, but post sporadically (most of my thousands of posts were made years ago).

I've been chasing tupperware for almost eight years.

My post count has always been lower than my find count.

Real enough for you? :unsure:

I am only at 6 years plus but can state the same regarding posts versus finds. Found a cache this afternoon in a nice wooded park. Picked up a coin and left two travel bugs. Left a non-trackable but very collectible custom coin as well as a new in the package travelling soccer game. After leaving the cache I wandered the trails of the park for about half an hour looking to see if I could find another worthwhile spot for a cache. I think my participation for the day has been validated, at least for me. :D

About a year ago some relative newbie with a couple thousand finds e-mailed me and told me that I was a "nobody" because I only had 700 some finds. I'm not sure why he even sought me out to tell me that.

Personally I don't need anything to "validate" my participation. I enjoy geocaching, that is enough for me.

About a year ago some relative newbie with a couple thousand finds e-mailed me and told me that I was a "nobody" because I only had 700 some finds. I'm not sure why he even sought me out to tell me that.

Personally I don't need anything to "validate" my participation. I enjoy geocaching, that is enough for me.

I honestly try to avoid saying you da man briansnat, but gosh darn it!

YOU DA MAN, BRIANSNAT!!! :unsure:

No wonder even MY mom voted for you as cacher of the decade.

Meh... I have about 66 found and none hid. I have a few posts in the forums.

I only own one GPS'r And an I phone.

I do consider myself to be a Geocacher.

(I would hide one but some people would like to crucify me for doing so before I have 100+ finds)

In the meantime.. I will continue to do what I do...

Meh... I have about 66 found and none hid. I have a few posts in the forums.

I only own one GPS'r And an I phone.

I do consider myself to be a Geocacher.

(I would hide one but some people would like to crucify me for doing so before I have 100+ finds)

In the meantime.. I will continue to do what I do...

The folks who you think would crucify you for hiding a cache before you have 100+ finds may be well intentioned but they are wrong. They are just as wrong as the ones who used to demand that cachers hide caches in some relation to how many they had found. That topic was big back in the "old days". The right time to hide your first cache or any cache is when you find a spot you like that works for a (quality) container you have and that you can properly maintain.

I just started geocaching. I've found 8 so far. I considered myself a real geocacher today when I was fed up with the iPhone app and shoddy GPS capablities (2 finds out of 8 due to the crappy GPS) and ran to Best Buy and dropped $140 that I shouldn't really be spending on a Garmin.

Edited by missaec

I just started geocaching. I've found 8 so far. I considered myself a real geocacher today when I was fed up with the iPhone app and shoddy GPS capablities (2 finds out of 8 due to the crappy GPS) and ran to Best Buy and dropped $140 that I shouldn't really be spending on a Garmin.

I will be interested in reading about your improved success with your new GPS. What unit did you buy?

Ah, man, did ya have to bring my personal mail to you into the forums? huh?

(oh, nevermind. You said "thousands," not "hundreds." Oops. My bad. move along, nothing to see. Just another "nobody" with about the same count here....)

49 replies (including mine) and not one from your named recipient. Hmmm...

Anyway, please allow me a syllogism in reply to your question:

I am real.

I have cached.

Therefore, I am a real cacher.

I have found over the 2.5 years of caching that most people who accuse others of not being real are really just pains in the butt themselves.