Release Date ? New Garmin Gpsmap 6x generation

freeday

http://blog.sancho.hu/2010/03/garmin-gpsma...ed-legenda.html

additional i got the information that the unit will be avaliable this year :blink:

no colorado, it will be waterproof :laughing:

Wow I'd be very surprised if Garmin retained the same form factor from the original GSPmap 60. I couldn't see them upgrading their "former flagship GPSr" and not making it fully paperless Geocaching capable. I guess they could do that with tons of menus packed under the same old button configuration, but that seems unlikely

now it is official - i think, the 62 will follow a little bit later

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145...=63602#specsTab

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145...=63601#specsTab

new unit comparson: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=...reProduct=63601

I estimated 240x400 Pixel :lol:

GPSMAP® 78s

Physical & Performance:

Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 2.6" x 6.0" x 1.2" (6.6 x 15.2 x 3.0 cm)

Display size, WxH: 1.6" x 2.2" (4.1 x 5.6 cm); 2.6" diag (6.6 cm)

Display resolution, WxH: 160 x 240 pixels ;)

Display type: transflective, 65-K color TFT

Weight: 7.7 oz (218.3 g) with batteries

Battery: 2 AA batteries (not included); NiMH or Lithium recommended

Battery life: 20 hours

Waterproof: yes (IPX7)

Floats: yes

High-sensitivity receiver: yes

Interface: high-speed USB and NMEA 0183 compatible

RoHS version available: yes

Maps & Memory:

Basemap: yes

Ability to add maps: yes

Built-in memory: 1.7 GB

Accepts data cards: microSD™ card (not included)

Waypoints/favorites/locations: 2000

Routes: 200

Track log: 10,000 points, 200 saved tracks

Features:

Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads): yes (with optional mapping for detailed roads)

Electronic compass: yes (tilt-compensated, 3-axis) :D

Touchscreen: no

Barometric altimeter: yes

Camera: no

Geocaching-friendly: yes (paperless)

Custom maps compatible: yes

Photo navigation (navigate to geotagged photos): yes

Outdoor GPS games: no

Hunt/fish calendar: yes

Sun and moon information: yes

Tide tables: yes

Area calculation: yes

Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest): yes

Unit-to-unit transfer (shares data wirelessly with similar units): yes

Picture viewer: no

Garmin Connect™ compatible (online community where you analyze, categorize and share data): yes

Edited by freeday

No Quad-Helix antenna?! I bet 62 keeps the old familiar form factor. :anicute:

EDIT = Plus, the 78 can still only have 2000 waypoints/caches. That's lame. The Magellan Explorist GC is said to handle 10,000 caches! I'd want that many in the new Garmin for sure, or maybe 9,999 to leave one open for MOB... :)

Freeday, Why the frowny face on screen resolution? Same screen apparently as the 76 series (160X240) which is already brighter and clearer than the Oregons which have more pixels (240X400) .

Nuther possibility is that the 78 Series is INSTEAD OF a 62 series.

Edited by geojibby

No Quad-Helix antenna?! I bet 62 keeps the old familiar form factor. :anicute:

EDIT = Plus, the 78 can still only have 2000 waypoints/caches. That's lame. The Magellan Explorist GC is said to handle 10,000 caches! I'd want that many in the new Garmin for sure, or maybe 9,999 to leave one open for MOB... :)

Freeday, Why the frowny face on screen resolution? Same screen apparently as the 76 series (160X240) which is already brighter and clearer than the Oregons which have more pixels (240X400) .

Nuther possibility is that the 78 Series is INSTEAD OF a 62 series.

Hey the 76 series had/has a quad helix antenna

2000 vs 10,000....yeah, but its a Magellan

It's possible it will be close, but not exactly the same. The 78 has slightly different dimensions than the 76.

As stated elsewhere, I'm thinking that the "new" 78 is just going to be a repackaged Oregon 450 innards. I'd almost bet that it will have the same "WAAS lousy chipset" and "ceramic" antenna.

I sure hope that I'm wrong.....

I've seen no evidence that the Oregon antenna is inferior. The chipset firmware has improved dramatically though yes, it still has WAAS issues.

Not my opinion......Garmin's own words.....they say the WAAS "problem" is caused by"antenna design"....and since nothing(brand or model) with that chipset (Cartesio) gets WAAS reception worth a durn, I'd say it must be included .

It's possible it will be close, but not exactly the same. The 78 has slightly different dimensions than the 76.

As stated elsewhere, I'm thinking that the "new" 78 is just going to be a repackaged Oregon 450 innards. I'd almost bet that it will have the same "WAAS lousy chipset" and "ceramic" antenna.

I sure hope that I'm wrong.....

Could you state the source? So far I have not seen anything that indicates it is merely a repackaged Oregon. There has been some speculation by unqualified observers. So far I have not seen anything regarding the chipset or antenna.

Edited by jholly

My observations are based on info that is already out there from Garmin.

Essentially 76 form factor, with same screen size (as 76), and buttons , instead of larger touch screen. More memory.

Remainder of specs just about exactly duplicate the 450, which make me think the innards will be essentially the same.

Comparing wording on Garmins site about quick acquisition and "maintains position in heavy cover and deep canyons"......that's all word for word. (and nearly false advertising)

Yes, pure speculation and definitely "unqualified observer" but if you do your own comparisons, I think you'll come up with the same conclusions.

My observations are based on info that is already out there from Garmin.

Essentially 76 form factor, with same screen size (as 76), and buttons , instead of larger touch screen. More memory.

Remainder of specs just about exactly duplicate the 450, which make me think the innards will be essentially the same.

Comparing wording on Garmins site about quick acquisition and "maintains position in heavy cover and deep canyons"......that's all word for word. (and nearly false advertising)

Yes, pure speculation and definitely "unqualified observer" but if you do your own comparisons, I think you'll come up with the same conclusions.

The words you quote can also be applied to the SiRF chipset and the Mediatek chipset both using a helix antenna.

From the GPSMAP 76CSx page ....

GPSMAP 76CSx's high-sensitivity GPS receiver, which acquires satellite signals quickly and tracks your location in challenging conditions, such as heavy tree cover or deep canyons.

Are you trying to convince me that the GPSMAP76CSx is a repackaged 450? The specs page is so broad on the specs nothing of the underlying electronics can be determined from the "specs".

No, compare the words from the Garmin description of the 78 and 450 in that same area of the description. Also talks about Hotfix........

Also new operations menu..... looks like 450 (and other Oregons) but of course will be accessed by buttons instead of touchscreen.

Look at antenna end of 78.....similar size and curvature (center portion) as Oregon.

No, compare the words from the Garmin description of the 78 and 450 in that same area of the description. Also talks about Hotfix........

Also new operations menu..... looks like 450 (and other Oregons) but of course will be accessed by buttons instead of touchscreen.

Look at antenna end of 78.....similar size and curvature (center portion) as Oregon.

bearfacepalm.png

Not my opinion......Garmin's own words.....they say the WAAS "problem" is caused by"antenna design"....and since nothing(brand or model) with that chipset (Cartesio) gets WAAS reception worth a durn, I'd say it must be included .

Where did you see them say this?

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

Thanks for the response back. We have received an answer concerning this issue from our engineers. Basically, they explained that the Oregon

models and our older models, such as the 76CSx, when acquiring

satellites and WAAS have a completely different design. Both are able to acquire WAAS, but will may perform better or worse in certain situations due to antenna design. Therefore, as long as the unit is within the 3 to 5 meters, then they units are within range and normal operation.

I hope this helps and please let us know if you need any further

assistance.

Also read this other response........ keeping in mind that Garmins own info says that with WAAS corrections the user should expect <3 meter accuracy.

Thank you for your reply. When you are making he comparisons, can you

tell me what the accuracy is of both devices? Keeping in mind that

without Waas information, the best that you would home for would be 15

meters, which is approximately 45 ft.

If you're getting less than 45 ft of accuracy the Oregon is receving

Waas information, regardless of what's happening on the display. If

it's not showing this information correctly, we can certainly try to get this taken care of.

It appears that they don't even know how their own units are supposed to function.

Heheehehehee........... Magellan. :) Regardless of the whole unholy host of problems they have/had, they've listened to the geocaching community and expanded the caching capability of the Explorist GC. It's innovation and I like it! :anicute:

2000 vs 10,000....yeah, but its a Magellan

EDIT = Plus, the 78 can still only have 2000 waypoints/caches.

Garmin paperless units have always counted the # of geocaches separately from waypoints. And Garmin has omitted mentioning the # of geocaches it can load in their specs.

Oregon 450/550, for example, can load 2000 waypoints and 5000 geocaches.

All evidence so far points to the chipset (STM Cartesio), since the other major receiver line (DeLorme PN series) that uses the Cartesio also has awful WAAS reception.
Don't the PN/Cartesio models also have a patch antenna and not a Quad Helix?

The PNs from "The Check's In the Mail Delorme" has a "patch antenna".

The Oregon / Dakota from "We're Working On It" Garmin has a "ceramic antenna"

I'm wondering if that tech support rep that blamed the antenna was not the sharpest tool in the shed...

All evidence so far points to the chipset (STM Cartesio), since the other major receiver line (DeLorme PN series) that uses the Cartesio also has awful WAAS reception.

That e-mail from Garmin was only one of a series of about 20+ e-mails. It was way down in the series before ANY of the "Tools" would even admit that there was a WAAS problem.

They kept insinuating that whatever accuracy the unit was getting was good enough. (even though it didn't agree with their own published standards)

Kinda like Delorme's attitude that if their units/software don't "do it" , then you don't need it........but it's coming.......

Yes,it looks different.

I've posted photos here:

http://www.gpsfix.net/garmin-gpsmap-62

I agree.

Something unusual, in one of my e-mail exchanges with Garmin reps about the WAAS issue, one of them said that they recognized that the Ceramic antenna didn't perform as well as the Quad Helix, but it was considered better than the Patch antenna. This was "after" saying that "antenna design" was the cause of the WAAS problem.

so.......maybe the 78 antenna is a "New Design" ceramic antenna instead of being a "Patch" type.