Experiences newbee

Cachesaurous

Hello

I am sure you guys and galls get this everyday but I need advice

I have a good few caches under my belt and I know well how to use my GPS

i have a Garmin Ledgend and a megellan 400 and a mio for the car

the ledgend is great i like the style but maps are a pain and since i have windows 7 and NO SERIAL port and the USB-SERAIL does not work, the unit is looking less and less appealing, sad thing is i reciently just got this its like new condition, i must a missed something when I was reading reviews (ouch)

I cant get maps for the Megellan, or afford them

and the mio is drive only and on that note DONT BUY MIO thier customer support is awefull, dissrespectufull and rude.

What do I want

I am looking for a GPS that is afforedable and i would like it do turn by turn for driving (mainly) and do the trails!!

I was looking at the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx, specs sound like what I want, i can get it a canadian tire, so with a gift card its perfect. living in london canada selections is limited.

i can keep my ledgend to bike with.

I am not to good with shopping over the internet but and living in london canada i seem limited with poor store selections, but if there is a GPS out there that will do all my needs i would love to hear what it is.

I want to cache casually, I want to have it for driving and casual fun mainly, i want to easy update or affordable maps, and be with the more current technologys (ie no serial port)

please any friendly advice would be appreciated, i have looked over searches and review but i am having trouble, how is this Ledgend HCx? will it meeet my needs

There are free maps available for the Triton if you dig a little. This link should get you started ...

Magic Maps

I have tried a few off there and they work really well. You can get maps for just a small area too so you are not taking up room on your SD card for areas you will not likely visit.

Might be worth a shot.

I also have the Canada topo map for Western Canada from Magellan, and at $50 it was well worth the purchase. The biggest benefit is viewing the terrain on a 3-d plain in Vantage Point to get a really good idea of what is happening terrain-wise in the areas I want to visit.

My only gripe with the Magellan-bought topo map is that it's a little outdated so some of the newer roads don't show up, but I fill in the blanks with Google Earth or Google maps.

Hay Starbrand, thanks for the link, I was thinking that this one would be good since I am not too aggressive a user more casual and really the ledgend I have is near perfect for me already. I just really could use the driving turn by turn option as well,

do you have one, how is the turn by turn function? and also am I correct in assuming it has a stronger ability to recieve signal?

thanks alot, i do like my garmin, and as said before have not givein my megellan much time. did not pay much for i and not maps but im playing with that site mentioned up before

thanks

Hay Starbrand, thanks for the link, I was thinking that this one would be good since I am not too aggressive a user more casual and really the ledgend I have is near perfect for me already. I just really could use the driving turn by turn option as well,

do you have one, how is the turn by turn function? and also am I correct in assuming it has a stronger ability to recieve signal?

thanks alot, i do like my garmin, and as said before have not givein my megellan much time. did not pay much for i and not maps but im playing with that site mentioned up before

thanks

The screen is a bit small and the button placement is a bit akward for in-car use but yes the autorouting from Garmin does work VERY well. I use it often on my Legend HCx. Yes the "H" in the name means it has a nigh sensitivity reciever - works much better under tree cover.

Well

my friend gave me a Serial to USB cable since mine was not working

well his works so untill I get the HXc i want to play with the ledgend and have it as a bikeing or give to friend spair one ya know. since what else can I do with it really?

So The ledgendHXc can do the turn by turn and can it use my mapsend I use with my current ledgend? that would sure jack up the price if I need to get maps too.

So I got map source and its ok, it really is a lame program not too user friendly, do you guys use it? or do you use another one with it? is there a sub to use with it? How can I get this http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/211/ possible goodness in to my GPS (Garmin)

Now me Megellan is useless to me, i got it for next to free so was excited, I could not figure out mapMagic thanks but I really cant and also london is not on it and well that is where I mainly want it for. Any last advice? and thaks for the 5$ off but you are so far away i would rather not, (please take no offence)

thanks for all the help everyone!!!

Edited by jayandcait