Endangering

I just discovered this on the Groundspeak pages:

1.5. Geocachers' Creed

The Geocachers' Creed is designed to help orient new players to the ethos of the geocaching community and to guide experienced players in questionable situations, so that everyone can enjoy geocaching.

When placing or seeking geocaches, I will:

Not endanger myself or others......

So, what kind of caches or situations would be considered endangering? I'm thinking mainly along the lines of placing a cache. Are there prohibitions against them? If not, should there be?

1.5. Geocachers' Creed

The Geocachers' Creed is designed to help orient new players to the ethos of the geocaching community and to guide experienced players in questionable situations, so that everyone can enjoy geocaching.

So, what kind of caches or situations would be considered endangering? I'm thinking mainly along the lines of placing a cache. Are there prohibitions against them? If not, should there be?

I think most would agree that placing a cache in a lamp post outside a crack house (or similar high-crime location) would be bad. It would probably be a bad idea to try to stick a magnetic keytainer to a guardrail on an 8-lane highway, or to the fence that surrounds the White House.

A lot of people (myself included) think that caches that are hidden in electrical equipment, or that look like electrical equipment are bad ideas - even if they are not "live", this is training people to touch equipment that might be "live."

On the other hand caches that involve a physical challenge such as climbing a 40 foot tree or scaling the side of a cliff seem to be generally acceptable as long as the terrain setting is appropriate and there is some warning to potential seekers about what to expect.

I think that particular part of the "creed" refers to hiders doing something to mislead or otherwise delibertly endanger somebody that is not experienced or prepared to do what is necessary to retrieve a cache. In other words - its ok to place a dangerous cache but you should not understate the dangers in the listing/ratings/text nor place something that is likely to harm an innocent.

By the same token - a responsible cacher should turn around and walk away rather than try to do something they are not physically/mentally well prepared for.

It would probably be a bad idea to try to stick a magnetic keytainer to a guardrail on an 8-lane highway, or to the fence that surrounds the White House.

Yeah... Those wouldn't be published anyway...

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):

* Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

I'm thinking mainly along the lines of placing a cache.

This leads me to believe that we might have something to look forward to (or to fear). :lol:

Marc, you've been around forever (geocaching-wise.. that wasn't a a comment on age) and have seen more than a lot of us. What would you consider to be too dangerous?

Oh, to answer your question, I dislike adding rules where common sense works.

1.5. Geocachers' Creed

No thanks. While I never take unecessary risks I know I can't handle, I don't need a creed as a hider or a finder. To each their own but for me, a creed?? Really?

No thanks. While I never take unecessary risks I know I can't handle, I don't need a creed as a hider or a finder. To each their own but for me, a creed?? Really?

I agree - the whole concept of a "creed" strikes me as a little heavy-handed and unnecessary.

Groundspeak's guidelines are comprehensive, and it's up to the individual to take responsibility for their actions.