i phone or i touch

TorSkis

While out geocaching the other day, we had found all the caches that I had downloaded into my etrex legend and we were still wanting more! Is there something out there that will seach the area you are in, for more caches, and give you the locations without haveing to have downloading it? Would the i touch be able to do that with the Groundspeak downloaded into it? Or maybe the more expensive gps's? As you can see I am already addicted and I just started!

Edit.... I have my cell phone thru verizon, has anyone used the geocache navigator for the blackberry storm?

Edited by TorSkis

The iphone (with the expensive monthly data plan) as well as many other data/phones can get real time data from the site. However - you need to be able to get a cell signal and you must remember that such devices are rarely ruggedized for trail use.

Many devices can download up to 4000 caches (and more) to carry with you out into the field as most folks generally know where they will be before getting there.

The iphone (with the expensive monthly data plan) as well as many other data/phones can get real time data from the site. However - you need to be able to get a cell signal and you must remember that such devices are rarely ruggedized for trail use.

... And are notorious for occasionally leading you well away from the actual cache location.

While out geocaching the other day, we had found all the caches that I had downloaded into my etrex legend and we were still wanting more! Is there something out there that will seach the area you are in, for more caches, and give you the locations without haveing to have downloading it? Would the i touch be able to do that with the Groundspeak downloaded into it? Or maybe the more expensive gps's? As you can see I am already addicted and I just started!

Edit.... I have my cell phone thru verizon, has anyone used the geocache navigator for the blackberry storm?

With the touch (and iphone), you can download your pocket queries to the unit (before you leave home).

Once there, the iphone works better as it should figure out where you are. The touch you may want to look for a nearby one you just found. From here, it's probably easier to manually enter the extras on the etrex.

Other GPS'rs let you hold a fair number of caches. The Garmin 60 series holds 1000 waypoints, and the newer Oregon/Dakota's hold 2000+

I'd recommend running GSAK and pocket queries, and keeping yourself up to date in your local area best you can.

I ran navigator on an older BB a while back without issue, I just didn't want to pay the monthly cost. I think they may have gone single price now, but not sure.

If you have a iphone or touch, you can download the PQ's now and it's a start (as well as having a lot of paperless info)

FC

I use my iPhone for paperless caching and it's really nice. Kinda slow even on a 3G network though. Loading pocket queries on it helps the speed a bit. I don't recommend using it for finding caches, it's very inaccurate. Stick to your Garmin for that.

Before I bought my paperless GPSr, I would download pocket queries and load them into GSAK, then export as HTML, then upload to my iPod Touch using Air Sharing. Before getting my Touch, I used Cachemate on my PDA.

You still need to enter the coordinates into the GPSr manually, but you can carry 1000's of caches with you.

Since the OP is on Verizon using a BlackBerry Storm as his cell unit a good choice for paperless could be Cacheberry. I've used it on my Storm w/OS5 since October. It doesn't search the area in real time as does the iPhone app, but it doesn't make you go to AT&pple either if you are contracted on V. As a GPS it is reasonably accurate, but hasn't replaced my venerable e-Trex Legend C. The e-Trex has never complained about being dropped or about taking a quick swim. Unlike Geocache navigator on the Storm there is no monthly or annual fee for use. I think GCN is $40 a year on the Storm. $10 forever on Cacheberry. Free to try too if I remember correctly. Oh yeah, Cacheberry can handle the gpx zip files all by itself, doesnt need GSAK. (Although it's a terrific tool too and will help you fill up that Legend.)