Photos/Images of bad cache containers

L0ne.R

Dollar-store containers:

ea961471-1d53-478f-8bc3-3cfdbbd36b4b.jpg

This is my own cache, in a location which tends to be underwater several months of the year. I placed it on impulse and I only had a cheapie $1 container with me - a lapse of judgment I'll never repeat.

I've since re-engineered the hide to be much more submersible.

haha I see some sort of license in there as well.

Dollar-store containers:

This is my own cache, in a location which tends to be underwater several months of the year. I placed it on impulse and I only had a cheapie $1 container with me - a lapse of judgment I'll never repeat.

Gee I sure hope you took the lighter out too LOL

Why? It isn't likely to be at all hazardous anymore.

It contains lighter fluid...how is it not?

Many tin cans in a garbage bag in a tree caches. One was a tin can in a garbage bag sitting in the woods.

A lot of baggies with a log stuck into benches.

The worst, however, was very recent. There used to be a glass jar in a tree hanging by a hook. Someone went in, couldn't find the jar so they put a plastic bread tag on the hook that was still in the tree.

Dollar-store containers:

Gee I sure hope you took the lighter out too LOL

Why? It isn't likely to be at all hazardous anymore.

It contains lighter fluid...how is it not?

No, the light fluid leaked out in the early 1980's.

I once found a cache that was a black 13 gallon trash bag.

It was wet, moldy, smelly and falling apart. - That's a bad container.

Filmcans - as pictured above - are almost always wet on the inside - or were once wet.

Classic magnetic keyholders leak unless hidden in a water resistant place. As with Altoids tins.

etc............

Thanks. I'll add some images:

Magnetic keyholder:

Image_2140.JPG

Altoid tins:

23b54be3-812a-4e46-8e97-c0153d1e515b.jpg

Addendum: leaky containers can work in environments that are always dry (which is quite rare outdoors)

Funny, I think I have found a few dozen just like that and some I have had to use my leather tool to open them up.

I recently updated a cache I adopted. Having not other containers around I used one of those ziploc containers, put the log in a ziploc baggie... checked it after a few big rain storms and it held up find in its location. Now after looking through this thread, I need to go back and check up on it again to make sure its holding up well. I would like to get a much better and water tight container in the near future to ensure its longevity. I had seen the Cool Cache Container thread before and am glad to have found this one too.

Having no other containers around I used one of those ziploc containers...

If you used the Ziplock Twist & Loc container, I'd be interested in hearing about the results. I saw these in my local supermarket, and wondered how they would hold up. I like to run my potential containers through my washing machine, with a few loads of laundry, to simulate rough handling in moist conditions. I just haven't performed this test on these, yet.

If you used the Ziplock Twist & Loc container, I'd be interested in hearing about the results. I saw these in my local supermarket, and wondered how they would hold up. I like to run my potential containers through my washing machine, with a few loads of laundry, to simulate rough handling in moist conditions. I just haven't performed this test on these, yet.

From my experience, as a finder, the Twist & Loc containers do a much better job then the snap-on lid Ziplocs but they deteriorate fairly quickly (cracks, broken thread area, broken lid). They seem to last fairly well for about a season. I'd still rather invest in an authentic Lock & Lock and not have to replace it for 3+ years instead of every 4-6 months. But if a CO insists on using Ziplocs, the Twist & Locs are probably the best of the bad.

From my experience, as a finder, the Twist & Loc containers do a much better job then the snap-on lid Ziplocs but they deteriorate fairly quickly (cracks, broken thread area, broken lid). They seem to last fairly well for about a season. I'd still rather invest in an authentic Lock & Lock and not have to replace it for 3+ years instead of every 4-6 months. But if a CO insists on using Ziplocs, the Twist & Locs are probably the best of the bad.

Just feeling the plastic, I was concerned about that. It felt like it would be quickly susceptible to UV degradation. I was hoping that painting them might make them last a bit longer, as indicated by fuzziebear3, but even a year isn't long enough for me. I think I'll stick to authentic Lock & Locks. At least with them, I know in worst case scenarios, I'll get a couple years out of them.

Just feeling the plastic, I was concerned about that. It felt like it would be quickly susceptible to UV degradation. I was hoping that painting them might make them last a bit longer, as indicated by fuzziebear3, but even a year isn't long enough for me. I think I'll stick to authentic Lock & Locks. At least with them, I know in worst case scenarios, I'll get a couple years out of them.

I have a Twist Lock container out there, so I'll let you know. It's in a well sheltered and seldom traveled spot, so hopefully it will last longer than it otherwise might.

I have a Twist Lock container out there, so I'll let you know. It's in a well sheltered and seldom traveled spot, so hopefully it will last longer than it otherwise might.

One of my earlier hides is one of these containers. It's been out since the end of Feb. 2012, and has 70 finds. I have not needed to do anything other than change the logbook. It's not sheltered really, just underneath an angled 2X3 holding up a sign, and it's not painted-and has been through 2 winters, so they appear to be decent containers.

Edited by T.D.M.22

mine is a standard container with the press on lid. For where it is hid, I think it should do quite well. In fact, after making my post, I went out to the location for a maint run and everything was high and dry after a month in a variety of weather. I am pleased so far. I have 2 magnets to hold it in place in its hiding spot that helps to protect it from most of the direct elements. Guess hid location has a bit to do with it.

mine is a standard container with the press on lid. For where it is hid, I think it should do quite well. In fact, after making my post, I went out to the location for a maint run and everything was high and dry after a month in a variety of weather. I am pleased so far. I have 2 magnets to hold it in place in its hiding spot that helps to protect it from most of the direct elements. Guess hid location has a bit to do with it.

Sorry, and I don't mean to diminish the fact that you are trying to help, but the the square Ziplock with the blue lid is a horrible cache container. It just will not hold up over time.

Sorry, and I don't mean to diminish the fact that you are trying to help, but the the square Ziplock with the blue lid is a horrible cache container. It just will not hold up over time.

I realize that it is not the best solution for the long run, but for the time being, it works and is what I had on hand, and I will be eventually making or buying a better container that will hold up tot the riggers of time and cachers. My next container for that cache will be much better than the current which is better than what was there originally, a magnetic hide-a-key container. It is work in progress.

Another container I am going to use is one of those snap lid walmart shoe boxes... again, not the best container, however, the plan for that one is to design the camo to protect it as well as add a puzzle element to the hide.

ec218655-3f5f-430b-8917-dfe16ed9f085.jpg

believe it or not we found this "cache" a month ago.

it was hidden inside the tree and u had to tie a knot to "close" it ..

it even had some fav points...

If I'd found this, I would gotten out a trash clipper, chucked it in a trash bag and moved on. There's no way I'm opening anything that looks like failed biohazard containment.