Photos/Images of bad cache containers

L0ne.R

I don't have a picture but I found a Parmesan Cheese container with some soggy contents. Posted a needs maintenance and send an email to the CO offering to help, but got no response despite them being active on the site. Why bother placing a cache if you're gonna put out a crappy container and then ignore it.

Another Ziploc disaster...

02c451f0-56eb-4a7c-987e-a70edf47c905.jpg

Cache owner hasn't been online since Monday, 06 October 2008. Post an NA, and email the reviewer separately if you need to. Don't bother trying to adopt it... just put it out of its misery and hide a new one there if you want. You will be giving 105 people a chance to get back there and log another one.

There really are no perfect containers. As I have said before...I really don't care if the container is an old gym sock and baggy if the log is dry. Keeping any container, from an ammo can to film canister in useable shape is simply part of required maintenance by the CO. Any thoughts of some type of rating system for CO. If a CO rating falls below a certain level, they lose privilege of submitting hides. The system could be based on the number of consecutive maintenance requests on a specific cache or lack of response, the need for a review to interject and archive a cache etc. The lack of CO responsibility when it occurs does significantly effect the game for all, so shouldn't they be held to some standard?

There really are no perfect containers. As I have said before...I really don't care if the container is an old gym sock and baggy if the log is dry. Keeping any container, from an ammo can to film canister in useable shape is simply part of required maintenance by the CO. Any thoughts of some type of rating system for CO. If a CO rating falls below a certain level, they lose privilege of submitting hides. The system could be based on the number of consecutive maintenance requests on a specific cache or lack of response, the need for a review to interject and archive a cache etc. The lack of CO responsibility when it occurs does significantly effect the game for all, so shouldn't they be held to some standard?

:blink: I don't care if it is crusty enough to keep the log dry your old gym sock is not an appropriate container. :laughing:

:blink: I don't care if it is crusty enough to keep the log dry your old gym sock is not an appropriate container. :laughing:

Better sock their other crusty articles of clothing.... :unsure:

One of the worst "containers" I have ever found a cache in was a ziplock bag. Thats it. Thought it might have been IN a container, and someone took the container and left the contents on the ground? Nope-CO confirmed he just threw a zippy out want waypointed where it had landed. And then had the audacity to blame other cachers for not sealing the bag correctly and getting the contents wet or replacing it correctly and having it be muggled.

The worst cache container I have seen yet...God I wish I had a picture....someone took one of those takeout plastic containers you find at the salad bar section in grocery stores? Not the cardboard or styrofoam ones, the thin plastic kind that crack the first time you open it! I can't remember what they lined the inside with to make it look dark, but they actually used that double-sided velcro tape to line the other three edges of the container that were not connected to make it "seal" properly!

And then hid it under a pile of railroad ties!!!!!

You can use a imperfect container and it will work fine if you put it in the right spot.

So long as that "spot" is indoors. Or you live in a region with zero humidity. Otherwise, using a crappy container is just a matter of time before one of your fellow cachers has to deal with a wet, moldy log. The rather obvious alternative is to start with a container that doesn't suck. Then you can hide it dang near anywhere.

That wasn't gladware. It should also be noted that placing the cache into a plastic bag isn't a new phenomenon or one that is limited to new players.

That's quite right. Around my area 99% of them are :D.

And I hate it when someone logs on my hides "... there was no plastic bag, so I used one to protect the container ..." aaaaaaggggggggg crazy2.gifcrazy2.gif

I laughed when I read this post. I spent 3.5 weeks in Northwest Spain, and it seemed that all the small/regular caches were hidden wrapped in plastic bags that were disgusting to handle. I had to wear gloves (good thing I brought them).

That wasn't gladware. It should also be noted that placing the cache into a plastic bag isn't a new phenomenon or one that is limited to new players.

That's quite right. Around my area 99% of them are :D.

And I hate it when someone logs on my hides "... there was no plastic bag, so I used one to protect the container ..." aaaaaaggggggggg crazy2.gifcrazy2.gif

I laughed when I read this post. I spent 3.5 weeks in Northwest Spain, and it seemed that all the small/regular caches were hidden wrapped in plastic bags that were disgusting to handle. I had to wear gloves (good thing I brought them).

I won't mention the specific area of Pennsylvania that I usually do where I found on a couple of extended visits that most of the caches were in plastic garbage bags. But it's like the worst idea ever, and is usually done on a "monkey see, monkee do" basis among the locals. Plastic bags sitting outside ATTRACT condensation, not repel it. Throw one out on your porch tonight, and see for yourself. :P

I found a tupperware box shoved in a carrier bag hidden under the rock, the interesting thing was that it was hidden in an area with lots of goats, sheep and horses around. Not surprised that the cache has gone missing before, although it is a beautiful area, I'm sure they had a better way of hiding it.

Some of these are wicked scary :o When I feel like I can hide a cache and make it a good one, I'm not wrapping anything in bags and I'm going to make sure it's somewhere I can easily access in case it gets all gross and gnarly :/

If I saw a Pringles can or just a bag, I would probably think it was just trash. Although it could be a good disguise :ph34r: Some people would rather walk by a piece of icky garbage than pick it up. I'd throw it out and wonder why there were soggy goodies inside :laughing:

Also, I think a lot of the owners that don't respond at all and just ignore it... well, they probably wouldn't be hurt if they weren't allowed to hide anything ever again because they're probably not active in the community anymore :unsure:

I work in a photolab and can vouch that the clear ones are the better of the two, saying that the lab is in a chemist, and for a measly 50p you can get a rather fetching urine sample bottle! now one would hope that that was waterproof!

Er, yeah. I thought that, until I had a report of one of my sample pots being wet. I couldn't find anything wrong and half an hour in the bath later on it stayed dry inside.

Fact is, no matter how waterproof, somebody will leave the lid loose sooner or later. That, or the sunlight will make the plastic brittle, or somebody will use rocks for camouflage and crack it.

Prep seems to make a huge difference. Camo tape or paint helps with sunlight and avoiding muggle theft. Thoughtful placement too. I'm learning this slowly and some of mine will need toughening up when they next get maint.

Here (SW UK), 35mm film pots are very popular (despite having a very rainy climate!) - but most have bags containing the logs. Again, of those, very few have been unsignable.

GRC caches - not enough here for them to get boring. Found one today, in total they make up less than 1% of my finds so I have no opinion. They're ok for numbers but I wouldn't go far out of my way.

How about this one- No container (but it is in a ziploc bag). No imagination, No creativity, and to boot it is on private property. Oh yeah, it is also soaking wet and hasn't been maintained.

I ask for better.

Is that even a cache? Personally, I would toss it in the nearest trash receptacle.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

How about this one- No container (but it is in a ziploc bag). No imagination, No creativity, and to boot it is on private property. Oh yeah, it is also soaking wet and hasn't been maintained.

I ask for better.

Is that even a cache? Personally, I would toss it in the nearest trash receptacle.

How about no ziploc, just a cardboard box taped to a pole?

I ask for better.

418513_10150623487475915_685960914_11493051_486727463_n.jpg

I see lots of those but they're usually covered with cammo tape and stay dry until the first time not completely sealed.

Being new & planning our first hide sometime in the future had many laughs while reading through these.

I think right now I have to agree with wolfslady (back on page 1) when she posted "A magnitic strip with a wet log on the back"

We have a CO around here who has many of these stuck everywhere & most of them are all wet.

Being new & planning our first hide sometime in the future had many laughs while reading through these.

Now you know what NOT to do :laughing:

Yeah, no kidding. I still haven't placed my first cache but reading through this thread gives me a really good sense on what works and doesn't work. I almost think this ought to be a sticky in the "Getting Started" forum and mandatory reading for n00bs like me.

-Dave

Now you know what NOT to do :laughing:

Exactly.... I hope :unsure:

Actually, I won a LnL w/label & log book at an event we attended recently. I just have to figure out where to put it. So many do's & don'ts plus the area having tons just "thrown out there" (in my opinion).

I just have to figure out where to put it.

Decide today what kind of cacher you want to be. You've found enough caches to give you an idea of what your preferences are. Do you like long walks in the woods? Parking along an uninspired stretch of roadway whose only redeaming quality is that there are no caches within 529'? Grubbing about behind a dumpster? Digging through shrubbery at Burger King? Paddling a kayak along a beautiful stretch of river?

Whatever type of hide you like the best, emulate it.

Can't go wrong! B)

I just have to figure out where to put it.

Whatever type of hide you like the best, emulate it.

Can't go wrong! B)

We're thinking about it. I KNOW we don't want it to be too much of a p&g. There are enough light pole ones & magnets stuck everywhere (and usually wet). Actually we went to a "Geocaching 101" at the local State Park last month & I'm thinking about getting a permit for one there.

Just one comment.. KNOW your container! If it is gonna need replacement in 3 months, plan to replace it in 3 months!

Don't put out more caches than you can maintain.

I have scuba tubes embedded in logs, LOTS of the tiny bio-sample tubes glued to (or embedded in) almost anything (rocks are particularly popular.. :ph34r: ), test strip containers, prescription pill containers (most are along a nearby bike trail for easy maintenance, and I don't expect them to last well when the 90+ summer hits), Altoid small (just one, keeping an eye on it), some Lock-n-locks, some heavier than usual Glad type screw seal containers (the 5" diameter screw-top Glad containers SEEM kind of rugged.. I will see how they survive over the years), no FCs or Ammos yet.

I have a small lock-n-lock up in the root cavities of a pine tree in the Colorado high country.. After 6 months I had to check on it due to a series of DNFs. It was washed by rain back to where I almost couldn't find it, but everything was dry. It will be interesting to see how it is after the snows melt.

It's not the container (unless it is really stupid like cardboard or a naked baggie), it's the maintenance!

JW

I thought it might be fun to visually demonstrate examples of bad cache containers. It has to be container types that you've actually found. I'll start.....

The classic bad container, the black and grey film canister:

667220_film_canister.jpg

I actually found this type of container a couple of times in the wild......the airline travel pouch:

TAM035.jpg

Film cannisters and pill bottles are extremely common in my area.

hmmm hadn't thought of humidity.

This is what three years of humidity will do to a cache:

8182bbcb-51cf-4933-ac27-823b76f7908f.jpg

23b51fe7-e88b-4c8f-91ac-6712468f7c20.jpg

Air breathes in, moisture condenses, air breathes out, repeat.

Luckily, this cache had an inner container which was dry inside.

Generally i refer to those, which when opened contain large quantities of water and rotten/rusted contents as Cache Soup. Good thing for an internal liner, but that lid is amazingly intact for that container. Usually they are broken, torn or gnawed.