I'm researching GPS- anyone have input on Magellan eXplorist GC?

I've been going in circles looking at all of the different GPS units. I'm looking for ideas on a hand held GPS. Have navigation in the car so I'm covered when driving but it obviously does not have all the details needed for Geocaching. I'm not looking to spend too much am thinking $200-300 tops. Am getting this mainly for my family and our outings (thats a good excuse for this 40 something mom, lol CAUSE I LOVE IT TOO!)

I ran across the Magellan eXplorist GC at about $199. Says its its built for geocaching. But should I not go that route and look for something without those bells and whistles. A standard gps does the job from what I can tell. There are just so many to pick from.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Read through this thread to get an idea of how well it operates from those currently testing it. No unit is best for all, with that being said it supports paperless caching (all the information needed can be loaded easily to the GC), easy to operate, will hole 10,000 geocaches. The screen is bright and easy to see, but the font is small and hard for some of us to read.

If you have the time, I would suggest going to a store and testing different models out. Also go to a caching event and ask to see some of the different models, someone might have the new eXplorist GC. Nothing like putting the unit in your own hands to decide if you like it or not.

Thanks for your advice. Still doing a bit of research and will head off to the store today to do a bit more. I just want to make the best choice. What specifically are the features that I must have.

These are my thoughts but please advise if you have any input, its greatly apprecicated.

I would like something:

- water resistant

-get me as close to the coordinates as possible

-included software or downloadable software for each cache we look for at a time

-would like it to be paperless but if its not, guess its ok too. We willl research details and clues online and print as needed, so at this point either way is ok, planning on using the long/lat coordinates and have the kids hunt them down

-thinking a compass would be good if its on the gps

I'm assuming they all come with maps or access to maps based on location. not planning on traveling too far outside of our surrounding states.

is there anything else I really need or should consider??? I just want to make sure I know what I am looking for.

thanks again

The new Magellan eXplorist GC seems to be a great little GPSr unit. Here are my opinion so far based on what has been released.

Positives

-paperless caching on the GPSr, including pictures

-accepts GPX files

-holds 10,000 caches

-includes base road maps

-AA batteries

-low price at $199

Negatives

-no built in compass

-no memory storage cards

-no routing on maps

-no POI's, points of interest

-no current ability to update maps

This looks like it will be a great unit for the price. It is not feature rich like the Garmin Colorado and Oregon series but then again it is less than half the price. I will be interested to see how this new GPSr is received but for the price it looks great. I currently have a Garmin Vista HCX. It's time for me to update the maps on the Vista and I am considering getting the Magellan unit instead. The built in paperless and 10,000 caches are very appealing to me. Loosing a compass, routing and the ability to update maps is not. I'll wait to see what happens over the next few months.