10 Year Anniversary events

Sounds like a death knoll for events to me. :blink:

The likelihood of many clashes during the planning stage, must surely result in fewer folk bothering to organise events if there is a chance they will get rejected at review stage :D

Not that I organise or attend many events, but I can see many being sad with this new ruling. :blink:

I don't see how, I've just had a quick look and there are around 77 Published Events in the future in the UK. and that's up to the 18th of September. all those events don't seem to have had a issue.

It's a issue we don't often come across, personally the drive between events is something which I can remember applying several years ago to a Event in Chester. The Organiser of that event is still organising events, and happily does so. So it is not a new thing in the UK at least.

It was only a within the last couple of years that the UK actually had 20 Active Published events Listed. we've now nearly 4 pages of Active Published events.And the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if we hit 5 pages at some point this year.

Deci

Edited by Deceangi

The likelihood of many clashes during the planning stage, must surely result in fewer folk bothering to organise events if there is a chance they will get rejected at review stage :D

Not that I organise or attend many events, but I can see many being sad with this new ruling. :blink:

I don't see how, I've just had a quick look and there are around 77 Published Events in the future in the UK. and that's up to the 18th of September. all those events don't seem to have had a issue.

It's a issue we don't often come across, personally the drive between events is something which I can remember applying several years ago to a Event in Chester. The Organiser of that event is still organising events, and happily does so. So it is not a new thing in the UK at least.

It was only a within the last couple of years that the UK actually had 20 Active Published events Listed. we've now nearly 4 pages of Active Published events.And the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if we hit 5 pages at some point this year.

Deci

The point I was trying to make was how does one know if one neighbour is planning an event or the same time/day?

Seems there will be an awful lot of wasted effort by both event organisers and reviewers. :D

I agree with the others .... would like a tally of events etc, but not bothered about adding to totals.

At least that way, you would get a true picture of the number of caches you have actually searched and found yourself. I even remember when approaching one of my early milestones, I considered excluding events to get a true picture of caches found - but then it would have got complicated with automatic stats etc so I just went with true smileys.

However, I do like to see regional events published as GC.com events ... coz you never know when I may drop into a local event in another part of the country (much better than sitting in a hotel/pub etc on my own when working away from home).

TheOtherStu - I will get to one of the BBH one day (your one next week would have been an ideal location as I will bring Connie159 with me, but I don't think I can manage to fit it in with work next week - but your never know!)

I don't see why this would damage events.

If I was going to hold an event I'd have a quick check amongst the other cachers in the area to check that dates / locations / times etc suited them. No point me holding an event if lots of people can't make it. That's not going to change now that the rules have - a quick canvas of the locals should be enough to give you the heads up if any other events are planned.

It's essentially the same risk when you hide a new cache - there's a few occassions when I've been beaten to it with a good hiding location. That's the luck of the draw. If someone beats me to it with an event (pretty unlikely) then that's just one of those things.

Deci

The point I was trying to make was how does one know if one neighbour is planning an event or the same time/day?

The same way you always have.

This isn't a new guideline.

I agree with Nick *mouse*

I do think that there are too many people getting too obsessed by the number of finds after their name - a quick 5 minutes in an event to sign the book then 8 hours clearing the local area of caches isn't what i would call attending an event.

Hah... reminds me... A cacher I know turned up late for the Loughborough 10 year event. We met him as we were leaving. He carried on to go to the event, but he caught up with us quite literally five minutes later on a nearby cache... He had simply walked into the bar - failed to spot the event cachers who were all upstairs finishing off the event cake, and came back out again... Didn't stop him logging the event as attended though!!! I wonder how close you have to pass a pub that's holding an event to claim it as a find? The car park maybe? or if you just slow the vehicle as you drive past? Is that good enough :blink::blink::D

J

I do think that there are too many people getting too obsessed by the number of finds after their name - a quick 5 minutes in an event to sign the book then 8 hours clearing the local area of caches isn't what i would call attending an event.

Hah... reminds me... A cacher I know turned up late for the Loughborough 10 year event. We met him as we were leaving. He carried on to go to the event, but he caught up with us quite literally five minutes later on a nearby cache... He had simply walked into the bar - failed to spot the event cachers who were all upstairs finishing off the event cake, and came back out again... Didn't stop him logging the event as attended though!!! I wonder how close you have to pass a pub that's holding an event to claim it as a find? The car park maybe? or if you just slow the vehicle as you drive past? Is that good enough :blink::blink::D

J

Did the cake end up getting finished?

And more interestingly, what time did he arrive? We left I reckon around 10:30ish (and did a cache on the way home)

Did the cake end up getting finished?

And more interestingly, what time did he arrive? We left I reckon around 10:30ish (and did a cache on the way home)

Not sure about the cake getting finished, I only managed a small bit as I'd pigged out on the Sponge pudding dessert :blink:

We found our first cache after the event at 22h03 and he caught up with us there, so he must of gone in around 21h45 I'd guess?

J

J

I’m afraid I did something similar to that when attending Deci’s 10 Years! Christleton, Chester, UK

meet

I thought the meet was at 5pm but had to attend another party (not a caching one) in the day, so arranged to get there an hour late.

As luck would have it (I thought) we managed to get away from the other party early so decided to grab a quick cache on the way.

My email started going crazy as we were wondering through some woods, so I checked my phone in case some new caches had come live.

But they were all from people logging an attendance at the 10 year meet?

So I went on line to find the meet was at 1pm.... not 5pm.

It was now 4:45pm! :D

We ran back to the car to drive like a bat out of hell (just 3 miles) to the meet to see everyone leaving. :D

Oh my gaaarrdd.... I have never been so embarrassed when I saw Mike (Team marzipan) helping cars out of the car park and Deci standing there laughing at me!

Luckily he had the 10 year poster in his hand and let me and Jim Jam sign....phewwww! :(

But the day was not all lost as we got to go caching with Deci later!

:D

But yeah... I logged an attended because I got there just in time.

Next day was the Cheshire 10 year meet that started at 6pm... I got there at 11:00am and logged an FTF!

As for the new 40 miles/1 hour rule, I think that is a positive step too. There's a creeping trend to hold 2+ events when 1 will do - I'm sure our UK reviewers will ensure that they approach the guidline sensibly.....

On the whole I tend to agree, except when the first mob is time restricted eg a flash mob.

Hopefully the reviewers will continue to adopt the common sense approach.

Just when you thought this thread had gone...

An argument for making Events not add to overall count? click ;)

Of course, multiple logging of trad caches to cover so called 'temporary caches' would still happen...

Glad that sort of nonsense doesn't happen over here; it makes me feel queasy! 31.gif

Mark

An argument for making Events not add to overall count? click ;)

Of course, multiple logging of trad caches to cover so called 'temporary caches' would still happen...

Glad that sort of nonsense doesn't happen over here; it makes me feel queasy! 31.gif

Mark

lol, that's ridiculous

An argument for making Events not add to overall count? click :rolleyes:

Mark

That's absolutely absurd!

I hope a reviewer spots it and stops it.

It's so annoying when the abuse of the way of things jeopardises it for everyone to enjoy.

One event = one attended log = simples!

Well I think the common sense approach certainly has worked. It was aplied to the two events in chequers and it seemed appreciated by all who attended the evening event.

Originally the event was going to be the night before but it made sense to have two very different events at similar times. The times for the evening event wre suggested by the reviewer to try and follow the common sense and it worked. It gave cachers a chance to either go caching or relax in the pub.

So a thumbs up from me to common sense.

As for the other issue of smiles I seem to be in the minority here. I can't see why they should be stopped for events. Someone going to an event once a month hardly breaks the caching stats. In a year that's the equivilant of a mornings caching for some. And there already is a way of seeing how many caches someone has found broken down by the type.

I thought it might be worth having a lis of all the 'official' anniversary events in the UK and Ireland. We certainly intend to make it to a few (one of which is ours)!

Epsom Downs - North Surrey on Sunday the 2nd at 11am onwards for a picnic!

We tend to be the other way round .... spend all afternoon at the event - then cache till late - home by midnight if lucky :rolleyes:

Well 2am in the case of Bolney