Long lost travel bugs

KoolAidWino

Awesome. I love these type of stories. I've been involved with similar situations but with TBs/Coins that have gone MIA for only one or two years. FOUR years might be a record, especially considering that Geocaching is only 10 years old and that trackables have only been around for about nine years.

My peeve is when I place a TB/coin in a cache and then it goes missing. Sort of makes me feel responsible. Twice this has happened to me, where the item showed up over a year later. Seeing the watchlist email pop up really made my day.

That Trackable is cute. You should take new pictures of it. You may also want to post a note for the cache you found it in so you can dip it there. Post the note, to drop off the TB. Then grab the TB again. Then you may delete the note log. Perhaps not a big deal since it isn't that far from the old cache. I've done this to get the mileage up to date.

I just found a travel bug today. Log it in and it turns out it was lost for over four years ago. The owner was surprised and thrilled.

Any other similiar stories out there?

Found one in 2006 that was in the hands of an old-timer (who didn't log most of his finds online) for over 2 years. It was still logged into the cache he took it from in 2004.

I know someone who's been holding on to a TB (not mine) on my watchlist since 2004. This guy is local to me and is alive and well. I expect it to end up in a cache someday. :lol:

I believe the report of the longest missing TB resurfacing that I've seen in the TB forum is about 5 years. Hopefully this thread will not get moved over there, or you'll be cursed to only getting a handful of replies to the thread.

Majormajor is correct. It was the fall of 2001 when TB's became available to the general public, and went into widespread circulation. So they've been around about 8 1/2 years.

I just found a travel bug today. Log it in and it turns out it was lost for over four years ago. The owner was surprised and thrilled.

Any other similiar stories out there?

Found one in 2006 that was in the hands of an old-timer (who didn't log most of his finds online) for over 2 years. It was still logged into the cache he took it from in 2004.

I know someone who's been holding on to a TB (not mine) on my watchlist since 2004. This guy is local to me and is alive and well. I expect it to end up in a cache someday. :lol:

I believe the report of the longest missing TB resurfacing that I've seen in the TB forum is about 5 years. Hopefully this thread will not get moved over there, or you'll be cursed to only getting a handful of replies to the thread.

Majormajor is correct. It was the fall of 2001 when TB's became available to the general public, and went into widespread circulation. So they've been around about 8 1/2 years.

That gives us hope that our missing items might be someday reapear again. :P

I thought I'd just share some more 'trackable good news' here:

I was very proud of my little Dreamcatcher geocoin - It had done over 12,000 miles which was very good for an attractive little coin. In August '08 it was placed into a cache in Pennsylvania but months later it was reported as not being there so, regretfully, I marked it as "missing".

Over the last couple of months I've been thinking of re-releasing it as one of my Proxy Geocoin items, probably using a real dreamcatcher pendant to represent the missing coin

but

yesterday it re-appeared! In Brixham, on the south coast of England! :)

"Dreamcatcher geocoin".

MrsB, a happy bunny.

bunnies_143.gif

I live in NJ, but will be in Vegas, LA, and San Diego at the end of May. I've been collecting east coast TB's, that I will drop West on this trip. As I scan the site looking for appropriate cache sites I'm amazed at how many lose the TBs placed within them. Other than manually scanning each cache, is there some sort of report card that grades caches on how safe they keep TB's?

I live in NJ, but will be in Vegas, LA, and San Diego at the end of May. I've been collecting east coast TB's, that I will drop West on this trip. As I scan the site looking for appropriate cache sites I'm amazed at how many lose the TBs placed within them. Other than manually scanning each cache, is there some sort of report card that grades caches on how safe they keep TB's?

When a cacher gets to a cache, and wants to drop off a TB, they should look around them and think to themselves "Would I feel safe if left here?" If the answer is no, then the TB shouldn't be left there. We lose more TBs in poorly placed caches, and more TBs because people keep leaving them in caches that have been stolen and replaced, had bugs go missing more than once, or are in a high muggle traffic area, like a park and grab. People should take care where they leave them.

And in regards to your collecting trackables to take west, check the goals of those trackables first and see if they want to go west, first.