Google Earth

When planning a caching trip to somewhere new, I like to use the geocaching facility on Google Earth. I much prefer setting a route, then zooming in on the nearby caches, than running a PQ. It might not be the quickest, or the easiest, way for other people but it works extremely well for me.

So, my question is - is it possible to filter out caches I have already found using Google Earth? I know it can be done with a PQ but that's not the way I want to go. I want to be able to turn on Google Earth and see nothing but caches I haven't found. Anyone know of a way to achieve this?

Many thanks

When planning a caching trip to somewhere new, I like to use the geocaching facility on Google Earth. I much prefer setting a route, then zooming in on the nearby caches, than running a PQ. It might not be the quickest, or the easiest, way for other people but it works extremely well for me.

So, my question is - is it possible to filter out caches I have already found using Google Earth? I know it can be done with a PQ but that's not the way I want to go. I want to be able to turn on Google Earth and see nothing but caches I haven't found. Anyone know of a way to achieve this?

Many thanks

On Google Earth?

On the maps that you see on geocaching.com you just click the checkbox for "hide my finds"

I'm thinking the OP is opening GoogleEarth and activating the .kml. Thus, he is seeing all caches within the viewing area. The .kml does not filter out his finds. He's not using the Google Maps feature from the site.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing. Works really well for me, especially as I ask it to first take me from one spot to another before then viewing caches close to that route.

Is it possible to switch off my finds somehow when using Google Earth in that way?

Is it possible to switch off my finds somehow when using Google Earth in that way?

No. The Google Earth feature uses the same optimized query for everyone so it is impossible to tell which caches you have found. TPTB are not likely to enhance this query so that different cachers can run a customized version. A year or so ago, they even removed the Google Earth feature because they claimed it put too much of a load on the system and only 200 people were regularly using it. Needless to say the 200 people objected and the feature was restored. The developers were able to further optimize the query to reduce the load.

If you absolutely neeed to filter out your finds in Google Earth, you can run a PQ with your finds removed and display the GPX file in Google Earth. This method also has the advantage of showing the caches in the correct location. The unfiltered KML file has the caches offset by a random amount so that it can't be used to get coordinates for caches in place of running a PQ.

The other option is not in Google Earth, but in the Geocaching.com Google Maps. It doesn't have that smooth scrolling feel and awesome zoomability, but it does have the filters you're looking for. I only wish there were also filters on size for the Google Maps. You can start at http://www.geocaching.com/map/ and type an address in the "Zoom to Address" box, then pan from there.

Edited by Markwell