How about you stop the Holier Than Thou Act, huh?!

I got into this hobby in late September of 2009. I've had a lot of fun with it, even putting a couple of my own caches out there to let others enjoy. So, needless to say with 101 cache finds I am considered a "newbie".

There are some of you out there who have been doing this longer than me. I've seen total finds well over 1000 and some even in the 2000s!!! That's impressive. However, lately I've been running across some of you old school geocachers who seem to be filled with hate for "newbies".

I've run across a cacher who has created a whole series of caches based off of "crappy" cache examples to show us newbies how it's done and not to ever do another "crappy cache" ever again! The idea sounds good, but when you read the descriptions it comes off as very mean.

And then there's another person I ran across. I found the cache the other day. The coordinates where off and I found myself walking through a minefield of dog poop. Come to find out the cache was across the street--away from the poop. A few people made comments about how they too found the cache, but the coordinates where off. (Now, if I had been with my kids they would not have missed the poop and would've stepped in it.)

Anyways, so I find out today that the cacher has decided to discontinue the multicache because

"Too many "newbie" cachers complaining that the caches are either of NRV or are not at the listed coordinates when using there highly specific, government issued Global Positioning Units."

Really? So that's how you solve that problem? You archive the cache instead of adjusting the coordinates?

My point is this, all of you old school cachers used to be newbies too. You worked hard, found a lot of caches and have created many memories in the process. I want to be like you. I want to have over 1000 or 2000 or 3000 caches in my lifetime. I want to find many 5/5 caches. I want to visit a different continent and log a cache. I LOOK TO YOU FOR GUIDANCE BECAUSE OF YOUR EXPERIENCE!!! Stop being a jackass to us newbies. Show us how to be better cachers with patience and understanding, not with your megalomaniac attitudes of hate.

This is a fun hobby. Old school cachers I have much respect for you, but don't get so full of yourselves that you cause a "newbie" to say f' this and never come back to this awesome experience of geocaching.

CougarFan75

While it is excellent advice that veterans be patient with newbies as they learn; I feel you are greatly overgeneralizing. The caches that were hidden as examples of bad caches for newbies actually sounds really funny in theory hehe, and yes I would have thought so when I was a newbie too - but what a pity the CO didn't do it in a fun tongue in cheek way (though that may have been perceived as offensive anyway). The minefield cache owner's comment was definitely snide. It sounds like a good thing that he archived his cache - if he was too lazy to change the coords then he was probably too lazy to do maintenance, assuming of course that the coords really were off. It may be that he or she is simply planning to move the cache further away from the minefield and the distance is so far that archiving was necessary.

But two veteran cachers is not all that many people to assume that all of them have a condescending attitude. My experience in my area has been that almost all of the veteran cachers are thrilled to have more people participating, especially if they help the community by placing caches and plan events, and do what they can to answer questions and get them introduced around.

Now if you are a big forum lurker you may get a skewed view of the majority veteran mentality. There are some snarky veterans on these forums that sometimes forget they were once new, have no patience for frequent topics being revisited and have an obsessive need to read every thread :lol: I suppose that would get tiresome :lol: I am happy to see that the general tone of the forums is much improved over how it was late last year :lol: Though I may have missed some of the action these past few weeks I've been distracted by all those things I neglected in my first few addicted months of geocaching :)

Edited by Opalblade

Don't let a few negatives spoil all the positives.

I'm still a newbie too compared to the guy in the area that has over 10,000 caches.

The idjit that harps on newbies is just a jerk, nothing more. It doesn't matter who makes fun of a newbie, they are just jerks and you will find them in every sect of life from fast food workers to geocachers to gamers and more. I always look at it as they are pathetic people ho can only find joy in their miserable life by picking on other people who are probably much better than they are at something that really matters.

So yeah, I may not know how to play World of Warcraft but they probably don't know how to change the spark plugs in their car. Big whoop.

Don't let them get to you.

He's right. We have the same problem down here in D/FW. I've run into some "old schoolers" myself that have ruffled my feathers. Thing is....I'm less likely to respond as nicely as you have.

And, Geobain, I think he was specifically directing his rant to old schoolers who treat noobs disrespectfully.....not ALL old schoolers as you took it.

Hey Cougarfan, love your town, camped there last year for a week and got some caches. Great camping at the local Elks lodge.

don't let the downers get you down. Go to a couple of events, especially CITO and see what a great time you will have meeting people.

Some people think their caches are wonderful and get insulted if the world doesn't agree. A basic human tendency actually.

I've got 2700 finds, but I feel like a noobie still in the company of real old schoolers. I started in April 2007. Is 3 years even enough to be considered an old schooler? At what point do I become an old schooler?

Personally, I like newbie cachers. I even like to post in the getting started forum just because reading their threads reminds me of me when I first started. And how I remember thinking that there was so much to learn and I wanted to learn it right off the bat.

If it is as you say it is, the first guy should apply this series to all cachers and not just noobies. Some people with a lot of finds can hide bad caches too. And the second guy should update his coords if they were off. Anything more than 25-30 feet off in urban az and the coords should be adjusted, IMO.

I didn't read through all 250+ logs, but I did go through a fair number and all the recent ones. I don't see anyone saying the cache has NRV. Maybe those got nuked by the CO? I do see a number of people who said the coordinates are off, both experienced and less experienced cachers. Shrug it off and move on. Don't let him spoil your fun.

That is what I discovered right of the bat also. It annoyed me for a while, I posted about why put junk in caches. Used other words than junk and found out the same thing. What I learned was just take the junk out, like the cigarette I found in a cache at park next to kids practicing baseball.

One person in our area even dedicated his cache to this topic. To claim credit you had to remove junk and place something good in.

Just like the workplace you have the holy people and you have the jerks and sometimes they are both in one body. Just let it slide and enjoy caching.

I get where you are coming from.

Around my area we have people with 12,000 and 10,000 finds and many others with just thousands. I live around Portland Ore. near the first cache ever hid so talk about some righteous folks but still good people and the longer I cache the better I get to know them

I get your point, but with my 2000+ finds I am hardly old school, and find your post condescending, as well.

You find their caches to be condescending? Hit "ignore" an move on to another cache. This hobby is no different than other hobbies. There are always people out there who are gonna want to be superior to you. Its an unfortunate example of human nature.

How about you stop the Holier Than Thou Act, huh

My point is this, all of you old school cachers used to be newbies too

You're making a distinction that isn't on point.

Some people are not terribly diplomatic (that's a polite way of saying "jerk"). Some people are kind and considerate. People of both flavors are distributed throughout the population of all people, and throughout the population of all cachers. There's no connection between find count and/or duration in geocaching, and being a jerk or a gentleman.

Seeing find count attached to the username - that and only that - does seem to drive many to make some kind of connection. It's an illusion.

This seems to come up pretty often. Just last week someone was complaining about a really rude log. He didn't mostly complain about the log, he mostly went on and on about the high find count of the person logging it.

Not to point. It was a rude guy, logging - he was a rude guy when he started caching, and now, a couple of years later, he still is. That his find count is high isn't a reason for his rudeness, it's just part of who that person is.

The game is heavily driven and enabled by the people who have been involved for a while. They're running local geocaching websites, state associations, doing land manager visits, explanations, and geocaching events. They're site volunteers here and on state, local and national sites. It's a nice group of people, sprinkled with the occasional jerk, just like anything else.

Good call Cougarfan!

Here's to more newbies coming along with the proverbial balls to stick it to the inhospitable cretaceous crowd!

To all the crustaceans who don't like newbies coming in and ruining their game, well there are geocaching websites just for you like cachingusa.com.

To the friendly elder folk, however, our thanks!

:P

Well, I knew about 3 other U.S. based alternatives, but where in the heck did you, a U.K. resident find out about that one?!?!?!?!?

And you're welcome. For being a friendly elder folk, I mean. :lol:

Some people are not terribly diplomatic (that's a polite way of saying "jerk"). Some people are kind and considerate. People of both flavors are distributed throughout the population of all people, and throughout the population of all cachers. There's no connection between find count and/or duration in geocaching, and being a jerk or a gentleman.

Seeing find count attached to the username - that and only that - does seem to drive many to make some kind of connection. It's an illusion.

This seems to come up pretty often. Just last week someone was complaining about a really rude log. He didn't mostly complain about the log, he mostly went on and on about the high find count of the person logging it.

Not to point. It was a rude guy, logging - he was a rude guy when he started caching, and now, a couple of years later, he still is. That his find count is high isn't a reason for his rudeness, it's just part of who that person is.

The game is heavily driven and enabled by the people who have been involved for a while. They're running local geocaching websites, state associations, doing land manager visits, explanations, and geocaching events. They're site volunteers here and on state, local and national sites. It's a nice group of people, sprinkled with the occasional jerk, just like anything else.

ayep.

One thing that has changed with the duration of the sport, is the ease of making connections within the community. On the one hand, there sure are a lot more cachers and caches, on the other hand, now there are folks who first met each other 7+ years ago.

Someone complained to me about the "clique of older cachers" at an event. I don't think these folks are standing around being "a clique", they're standing around catching up with friends.

I was in that group - we weren't even talking caching, we were talking "how's your mom?", "how's the job hunt?", "did they figure out the problem with you car"? exciting stuff, I know.

Indeed, I just found an email I sent a friend who didn't attend. Here's part, "The event was interesting in that a bunch of old timers spent a long time hanging out and talking. Not caching. Indeed not caching before and not caching much after. Just hanging out. This is different from years gone by. Harder for new cachers to really meet and mingle. Caching plans made - among those who already know each other. Just an observation. Of course, the newer cachers don't hang out trying to meet or mingle, off after finds."

The same thing happened at the last CITO I attended. Once the "bags o' trash" picture was taken, the group split. Newer cachers out chasing finds, older cachers standing in the rain in the parking lot, talking.

One thing that has changed with the duration of the sport, is the ease of making connections within the community. On the one hand, there sure are a lot more cachers and caches, on the other hand, now there are folks who first met each other 7+ years ago.

Someone complained to me about the "clique of older cachers" at an event. I don't think these folks are standing around being "a clique", they're standing around catching up with friends.

I was in that group - we weren't even talking caching, we were talking "how's your mom?", "how's the job hunt?", "did they figure out the problem with you car"? exciting stuff, I know.

Indeed, I just found an email I sent a friend who didn't attend. Here's part, "The event was interesting in that a bunch of old timers spent a long time hanging out and talking. Not caching. Indeed not caching before and not caching much after. Just hanging out. This is different from years gone by. Harder for new cachers to really meet and mingle. Caching plans made - among those who already know each other. Just an observation. Of course, the newer cachers don't hang out trying to meet or mingle, off after finds."

The same thing happened at the last CITO I attended. Once the "bags o' trash" picture was taken, the group split. Newer cachers out chasing finds, older cachers standing in the rain in the parking lot, talking.

Much the same here. I used to make it a point to meet every cacher at an event that had a hundred or less attending.

I was deeply networked by the time I had been in just a year. Heck, I met YOU in the second year and you live 4 states away. :P:lol:

Now days.... If I see a wallflower at an event, I'll make a point to make them feel welcome, but mostly I just want to catch up with my friends and launder my latest batch of TBs.

Besides, the faces at events come and disappear so quickly these days.... I can hardly keep track and I used to be able to place a face to nearly every cacher in Texas that had attended a Texas Challenge or posted frequently on our regional boards. Very few of those left besides me and 9Key and Roland Oso.

If people wanna meet me at an event great, but I'm lookin' to spend some time with folks I hardly ever get to see, but if I make a new friend that's good too.

Hosting is different. I tryyy to spend a little time with everyone there and I usually make a point of asking a noob to sit at my table when a spot opens up.

The truth of the matter is that the OP and quite a few people who have posted on this thread will probably be outta the cachin' biddness within the next 18 months.... Or much sooner.

See you at GW8. I have perfect attendance since GW3 and that will probably be the end of my GW streak until one is hosted MUCH closer to home...... Maybe. <_<:P

Edited by Snoogans

I was going to make the same points, but you said what I wanted to say so well, I'll just say that I agree with your excellent post.

I always agree with Brian, but then again, he's a much older cacher than I am. :lol:

I've been doing this for a few years. I've met wonderful people all over the world. I've met some really nice people who started caching last year and have friendships based on years of caching together. I've met a few jerks (not many) who started last year, and a few who have been caching longer than me (again not many).

I used to play a lot of golf before I discovered geocaching. I found that there was a small percentage of golfers who I would actually exchange info with in the hopes of seeing them again. I can only think of a few cachers I wouldn't want to go out with tomorrow to look for a few more hides, or chat with at an event.

To the OP-Your individual observations may have some basis, but your overall generalized conclusions are flawed.

It's a nice group of people, sprinkled with the occasional jerk, just like anything else.

Exactly. Cougar, when you've got a gazillion finds under your belt, you'll still be the same person you are today, won't you? Condescension isn't limited to those with high find counts. BTW, I loved the crappy cache container series. Sounds like a hoot! Although the logic center of my brain tells me that no one who has spent more than 3 minutes of their life outdoors could possibly believe that a black & grey film can or a hide-a-key could somehow make a good cache container, my experience tells me otherwise. Maybe such a series would help educate those folks who have little personal knowledge in the field of waterproof container selection? Maybe? :lol:

All true. People are people, some are jerks.

..gather together enough folks and after a while - 1 or 2 of them will turn out to be rude low life poor examples. Happens in every group.

My favorite quote on the subject:

there are a lot of foolish people in the world and as Geocaching grows in popularity you will find more and more of them hunting for caches.

All true. People are people, some are jerks.

I have met , perhaps two handfuls of people who have never shown me that they are jerks at some point in time. I aspire to be like them, and fail more often than not. I am ever thankful for those who allow me to try and redeem myself when I have been a jerk. As per yesterdays sermon, Let he who is not now, nor has ever been a jerk--cast the first stone.

OUCH, HEY THAT HURT.

I got into this hobby in late September of 2009. I've had a lot of fun with it, even putting a couple of my own caches out there to let others enjoy. So, needless to say with 101 cache finds I am considered a "newbie".

There are some of you out there who have been doing this longer than me. I've seen total finds well over 1000 and some even in the 2000s!!! That's impressive. However, lately I've been running across some of you old school geocachers who seem to be filled with hate for "newbies".

I've run across a cacher who has created a whole series of caches based off of "crappy" cache examples to show us newbies how it's done and not to ever do another "crappy cache" ever again! The idea sounds good, but when you read the descriptions it comes off as very mean.

And then there's another person I ran across. I found the cache the other day. The coordinates where off and I found myself walking through a minefield of dog poop. Come to find out the cache was across the street--away from the poop. A few people made comments about how they too found the cache, but the coordinates where off. (Now, if I had been with my kids they would not have missed the poop and would've stepped in it.)

Anyways, so I find out today that the cacher has decided to discontinue the multicache because

"Too many "newbie" cachers complaining that the caches are either of NRV or are not at the listed coordinates when using there highly specific, government issued Global Positioning Units."

Really? So that's how you solve that problem? You archive the cache instead of adjusting the coordinates?

My point is this, all of you old school cachers used to be newbies too. You worked hard, found a lot of caches and have created many memories in the process. I want to be like you. I want to have over 1000 or 2000 or 3000 caches in my lifetime. I want to find many 5/5 caches. I want to visit a different continent and log a cache. I LOOK TO YOU FOR GUIDANCE BECAUSE OF YOUR EXPERIENCE!!! Stop being a jackass to us newbies. Show us how to be better cachers with patience and understanding, not with your megalomaniac attitudes of hate.

This is a fun hobby. Old school cachers I have much respect for you, but don't get so full of yourselves that you cause a "newbie" to say f' this and never come back to this awesome experience of geocaching.

CougarFan75

My only problem with your post is that you posted it here. The fact is, most of the people that actively post here in the forums don't really go out and geocache. They just sit around the forums all day and complain about how other people geocache.

All kidding aside (was I really kidding?), when I first started geocaching 3500 caches ago, I felt the same thing happened to me in my area. Many of those old-school cachers have moved on or retired or have seen the light. I once in a while catch myself writing cranky logs for crappy caches but I try to change the language before hitting the save button.

CougarFan75

Why not just take the direct route and say this to the people you are running into who have all this hate for newbies?

Complaining on a message board will not get you what you want. Go to some local events, stand up and say what you want to say to the people directly involved in your caching community. If you can manage to make it a tad more diplomatic you might just get these so-called haters to realize how they are coming across to newbie cachers. They might actually then behave differently because you chose to stand up and say something.

It is also quite possible that they won't give a flying rat's patootie about you or what you have to say. In that case, you then have more information about them and you can choose to either ignore them or continue to let them irritate you.

You can't change other people by dealing with the problem indirectly. You may not be able to change them at all. But you have control over how much you allow their behavior to control you and your enjoyment of the game/sport/hobby. :lol:

This hasn't been indicative of my experience, at all. The very few veteran cachers with whom I've had any interaction at all have been very supportive. COs and previous finders sending me hints on tough caches; people in this forum, even, have been great so far. And when I was in Sacramento caching, a veteran cacher stopped by, introduced himself, and joined in the hunt. Even told us a few war stories. Maybe my experience is atypical, but I doubt it.

One thing to note is that "newbie" status doesn't necessarily reflect the number of finds a person has. You can have one find but tons of common sense and respect for the game, and I don't think most people will consider you a newbie, at least not perjoratively. On the other hand, there are long-time veterans that behave childishly, have little regard for the community, and are borderline abusive (or so I've heard... again, I've not come across these folks.) That, to me, is "newbie" behavior, regardless of the longevity of their caching "career."

Sorry to hear you've come across a few jerks along the way. Hang in there, because I really have seen some wonderful things during just my short time in this activity.

My comments: don't put a general label on old school geocachers based upon your experience with some of them. Also all 'newbies' are the same. We're all individuals with their own thoughts and habbits. Mine experience is not the same as your's. Meanwhile I'm one of the more expierienced cachers in this region and try to help newbies (and veterans) if they have questions. With some it's easy, others experiences are less positive, but for me it does not mean I don't help people any more.

If you meet some cachers you might find some which are more positive. Just visit a local event and talk with some other cachers.

One remark for the newbies: Keep in mind there are old caches out there, which were hidden when the equipment was not as accurate as new SIRF III equipment, especially in the woods. The listings of these caches should be kept 'original' as much as possible. That's one of the charms of an old cache. If the coordinates are really off, you will see it in the logs and you can take that into account when looking for it.

Some of the best illustrations of this raunchy negative attutude exhibited by some GCers towards others here is by going into the older and higher pages of this site forum archive and read the contentious posts on AdM closed threads. All that can be politely said of those interchanges, "it's a lesson".

Edited by calgriz

CougarFan75

First, don't let anyone run you out of Geocaching. Every activity, sport, or hobby has the type of people you are talking about. Most of the time they are quite obssesive about their "activity" and have no life outside of it. So they become what they consider subject matter experts and everyone else is beneath them, especially newbies.

Take it from someone who's been around a little bit of time here, it's supposed to be FUN. So just go have fun, and ignore the negatives you run into, that's what I do. While I don't log many caches anymore, I do go caching with friends and family and help them with their caches. I simply maintain my caches and enjoy the parts of Geocaching I enjoy. The rest is just background noise.

Mac

Some of the best illustrations of this raunchy negative attutude exhibited by some GCers towards others here is by going into the older and higher pages of this site forum archive and read the contentious posts on AdM closed threads. All that can be politely said of those interchanges, "it's a lesson".

Would I be illustrating a "raunchy negative attutude" if I pointed out that "raunchy" doesn't mean what you appear to think it means?

Would I be illustrating a "raunchy negative attutude" if I pointed out that "raunchy" doesn't mean what you appear to think it means?

Oh I have to hear this...

Are you asking me what "raunchy" means?

Raunchy

–adjective Informal.

1. vulgar or smutty; crude; earthy; obscene: a raunchy joke.

2. dirty; slovenly; grubby.

3. lecherous.

It is apparent from calgriz quote that he or she does not know what "raunchy" means.

experienced cachers that are tools were probably tools when they were newbie cachers as well.

caching is not like finishing school. it leaves many of us just the way we came into the sport/game/hobby, except maybe with a little bit better geosense as we go along.

There are a few bitter cachers out there that own caches and find caches. I have seen a few times where cachers are trash talking "newbies" and think it is disgusting. Unless they are targeting or harassing you specifically, the best thing you can do it get a bunch of finds so you are no longer a "newbie". For some strange reason there are a lot of cachers out there that base the merit of your hides or logs on their cachers on the number of caches you have found.

I honestly haven't found the more experienced (and much older) cachers than I to be rude. Not even here on the forums.

Most have been helpful except when I am being an idiot as I do from time to time.

Does that mean I get along with all Geocachers? heck no... nor do I want to. I do find that you get back what you give out in the long run.

Geocachers are like relatives, you can pick your friends but you can't pick your family (or Geocachers). :)

:) Sorry all you newbies have to go through so much harrassment - where we are from we love to meet new cachers and am always eager to help them get started - we have a meet and greet and welcome everyone to come to it and just sit around and discuss caches they can't find or need help with - there are always those big shots who think they know everything about caching - we have one around where we are from who hasn't found very many and seems to be out there running everyones hides down because they don't like micros - we like all caches and like a challenge on getting a toughy once in awhile - you will always find some that are way off on coords - don't know if they are meant to be that way or if their gps's are just off that much - anyway, we have definitely learned to take in the 30 foot rule and have found several to be off that much - any help we can assist any of you with, we would welcome all emails - MaMa & PaPa D (Kansas)

Are you asking me what "raunchy" means?

Raunchy

–adjective Informal.

1. vulgar or smutty; crude; earthy; obscene: a raunchy joke.

2. dirty; slovenly; grubby.

3. lecherous.

It is apparent from calgriz quote that he or she does not know what "raunchy" means.

it also means very smelly or very stinky: (raunchy feet), so I saw it as "Stinky negative attitude".

Ya know, we say things stink all the time even when these objects/concepts we are referring to have no smell.

Would you accused a person of not knowing what stinky means if they wrote "Stinky negative attitude"?

~~~edit to add~~~

disgusting is also an alt def for raunchy.

Edited by Vater_Araignee

it also means very smelly or very stinky: (raunchy feet), so I saw it as "Stinky negative attitude".

OK. So it is I who do not know what raunchy means. I apologize. I had never heard it used that way before, and the first place I checked (dictionary.com) did not include that meaning. Other references do, so I stand corrected (and educated).