New Magellan

JABs

Looking forward to trying this unit. This unit may put Magellan back in the GPS business if the performance is good. I do not understand multi-directional patch? Hopefully, it will work well under cover. 18hrs of battery and a transreflective screen are good points. Intuitive menus for geocaching will also be a great feature. Need to address maps, the Accu-Terra line up and installation via Vantage point is not good.

I think the biggest impact will be on competitors

DeLorme - Why so long to get the PN60/W to market? This puts pressure on their higher priced new models. Also, this may enccourage Delorme to offer V2.8 update for the standard PN40 w/o having to update to TOPO9! The new GPS does not appear to have a battery life flaw if the 18 hrs stands up to usage.

Garmin- Puts pressure on their high priced line-up! I predict we'll see 400t heavily discounted. Not sure about product placement for Dakota...Never understood the market for that GPS. The Oregon 200, 300 will be less attractive to sell. The new GPS if the specs are right does not have the fatal sun-light visibility problem associated with all Garmin GPS's since the 400t.

Magellan - I would like to see their next series of offerings along the same line as this new GPS w/ additional features. Maps Maps Maps

hello Peoria Bill, Peoria Bill lives across the river from me. We have not meet yet but I hope we will cross paths soon. I have ordered this new megellan and cant wait to see how well it will perform. It will replace a Magellan 315 i had 9yrs.

Does anyone here know if this device is to be launched in the UK at all?

And if it's not, if I purchase it from the US are there likely to be problems I'll encounter? IE will it be possible for me to load the appropriate maps on to the device easily?

I did try to email Magellan Europe about this but the email address on their website bounces quite nicely :-(

Thanks,

Jamie.

Does anyone here know if this device is to be launched in the UK at all?

And if it's not, if I purchase it from the US are there likely to be problems I'll encounter? IE will it be possible for me to load the appropriate maps on to the device easily?

I did try to email Magellan Europe about this but the email address on their website bounces quite nicely :-(

Thanks,

Jamie.

Think I saw something about the European release on Magellan's Facebook page, but I can't find it right now. Did check the GC though, of the 999 preloaded caches there are several in London, as well as many throughout Europe so I would think it's a safe bet it will be released there soon. Also took the time to zoom in and the streets are on the same level as those in the US, down to the very small streets.

How do I get my tracks?!?!

Based on an exchange I had with Magellan a couple of weeks ago, the ability to upload/download tracks to this version of the eXplorist is unavailable. One also cannot upload Northwest or Southwest trails to the unit.

I see in the manual that there is a tracking function. It does not mention "track back", and it does not mention saving or exporting. Can an owner confirm.?

A hot-to question:

At the trailhead I cleared the odometers and clicked on "Start Trip".

At the end, I clicked on "Stop and Save trip" and thought this saved the tracks to the tracks.gpx file in the Tracks folder.

When I save that file to my desktop and open with ExpertGPS, nothing shows up.

So, I opened Vantage Point and tried to view it there. IT seems to show 1 route and 1 tracks but I can't for the life of me figure out how to find out mileage, elevation or even see the tracks on a map.

Anybody else get this to work?

Based on an exchange I had with Magellan a couple of weeks ago, the ability to upload/download tracks to this version of the eXplorist is unavailable.

Ok, I went back through my emails with Magellan and the tracks feature should be fixed/updated in the coming release. This will get me the file of tracks that I want to view in VantagePoint - or in my case ExpertGPS.

Guess I'll wait for that and test it again.

Ok I started this topic and now sit at home with a new GC. WOW is so far I can say.

Just can't wait for the next financial year which here in OZ starts in July. Could we be looking at the next in line or even a Touch screen.

Don't know if you've tried this at all, but I was able to create a couple tracks that were pulled off the GC into Vantage Point. Go to Tools -> Settings -> Track and put a check next to Tracking ON. When you are done with your track go back there and uncheck Tracking ON. Then bring it into Vantage Point. Hope that's what you are looking for.

A hot-to question:

At the trailhead I cleared the odometers and clicked on "Start Trip".

At the end, I clicked on "Stop and Save trip" and thought this saved the tracks to the tracks.gpx file in the Tracks folder.

When I save that file to my desktop and open with ExpertGPS, nothing shows up.

So, I opened Vantage Point and tried to view it there. IT seems to show 1 route and 1 tracks but I can't for the life of me figure out how to find out mileage, elevation or even see the tracks on a map.

Anybody else get this to work?

Based on an exchange I had with Magellan a couple of weeks ago, the ability to upload/download tracks to this version of the eXplorist is unavailable.

Ok, I went back through my emails with Magellan and the tracks feature should be fixed/updated in the coming release. This will get me the file of tracks that I want to view in VantagePoint - or in my case ExpertGPS.

Guess I'll wait for that and test it again.

Here is what I would like to know. I just got into the game, Ive been using the iPhone app to snag about 28 finds, I decided I want to get more involved and would like to upgrade to an actual GPSr.

My question is, what is the difference between the Magellan GC and the iPhone? So far from what I understand it seems like just a small amount of accuracy and possibly the ability to work where there is no cell service. Both lack an e-compass. But where the iPhone lacks those abilities it has an even better integration with GC.com than even the Magellan GC.

I like being able to just look on my phone and have it tell me where the nearest Cache is, log the find and be done with it. No hooking up to GSAK and VP or any of that other stuff.

Of the models I have thought of upgrading to are, Magellan GC, Dakota 20 and Oregon 450.

I guess what they need to do now, is make a GPSr with 3G/4G and WiFi capabilities.

Any thoughts??

My thoughts on your thoughts are that you are correct in your synopsis. :D The question you need to answer is, what do you want in dedicated GPSr? If all you plan to do is geocache in largely urban settings/places of good iPhone reception, then why do you need anything else - especially if you are happy with it? HOWEVER if you plan on doing other outdoor activities like hiking, caching or whatever in rural or remote areas with sketchy phone coverage then a dedicated GPSr would be beneficial, especially the tracks capabilities.

It's my understanding that the Explorist GC is a *dedicated* geocaching unit. Other units maybe more adept for hiking, etc. that have those missing features like a compass, advanced track/route capabilities, blah blah blah, $ $ $. Like anything in life, figure out what you want to do and then pursue the unit that will help you accomplish those goals inside your price range.

My question is, what is the difference between the Magellan GC and the iPhone? . . . Any thoughts??

My question is, what is the difference between the Magellan GC and the iPhone?

Any thoughts??

I have the iPhone app and just bought the Explorist GC a couple of weeks ago for several reasons, most of which you mentioned. The accuracy is better, and you have a better fix when outside of cel coverage. The other main reason I got it is battery life. I've used it a lot, and the battery still shows full. My iPhone battery gets drained pretty quickly using the Geocaching app.

You can create a pocket query and drop it right onto the Explorist. I haven't found that hard to do at all.

The iPhone is perfect for "spontaneous" Geocaching when I'm in a new area, have a little time, and want to see whats around. The Explorist is better for me when I know I'm going somplace to do geocaching for a while, especially in a more rural setting.

Since I'm only interested in using the GPSr for geocaching, I didn't want to spend the money on the other models you mentioned. I didn't really need the other features. So far, I've been really happy with my decision.

Eric.

maybe the discounted price of US$157 makes the decision easier.

Amazon link

Yeah I think it might. Thanks.

But then again, why has it been discounted nearly 50$ already???? This is great, but it worries me too. Knowing my luck, Ill buy it now and 5 days later they will release a new touch screen model, with upgradable maps, an electronic compass and bold print for only $199.00

Moderator edit to remove referral code.

Edited by robertlipe

maybe the discounted price of US$157 makes the decision easier.

Amazon link

Yeah I think it might. Thanks.

But then again, why has it been discounted nearly 50$ already???? This is great, but it worries me too. Knowing my luck, Ill buy it now and 5 days later they will release a new touch screen model, with upgradable maps, an electronic compass and bold print for only $199.00

Moderator edit to remove referral code.

In this class of electronics, MSRP holds for a few weeks and street price rapidly falls to 70-80% of list.

As for the future, rest assured that there will *always* be something cooler coming down the road. You just have to choose when the GPS you want costs what you're willing to pay and hop on. If you want a touch screen model, with upgradeable maps, and an electronic compass, this isn't the GPS for you if it was $14.99.

This is great, but it worries me too. Knowing my luck, Ill buy it now and 5 days later they will release a new touch screen model, with upgradable maps, an electronic compass and bold print for only $199.00

Just wait till July or shortly there after. Hit Hit

This is great, but it worries me too. Knowing my luck, Ill buy it now and 5 days later they will release a new touch screen model, with upgradable maps, an electronic compass and bold print for only $199.00

Just wait till July or shortly there after. Hit Hit

Ugh, so this doesn't help me in my decision making...

eXplorist GC is the first GPS device 100% dedicated to geocaching.

Wouldn't that be the GeoMate Jr?

Other interesting points:

• Pre-loaded with the most popular geocaches in the world.
  • SiRFstarIII
  • Up to 10,000 geocaches
  • Sunlight readable 2.2" screen
  • Free 30 day premium membership at geocaching.com
  • On-unit filtering of geocaches
  • Send to GPS and Field Notes

Negatives:

• No compass / barometer
  • No expansion memory (at least, none mentioned)

You do not need the electronic compass. A geocache location is marked by lat/long coordinates beamed to the receiver by radio signals sent from the GPS satellite system. The eXplorist 200, 300 and 400 never had a electronic compass. My Triton 400 does not have an electronic compass. I have found hundreds of caches with my eXplorist 400. All with out a compass. I also own and use a the top of the line Garmin GPSMap 60 Csx. When I use it for Geocaching I turn off the electronic compass.

Leaving it on causes the electronic compass to fight with the GPS receiver when standing still. When you hear people say that the "compass" starts to spin when standing still it is being caused by the electronic compass trying to point north and the satellite receiver trying to point to the cache. They both share the same indicator on the screen.

As far as a barometer, it's not needed for Geocaching.

As far as expansion memory, it already holds 10,000 caches. A Garmin holds 1,000. It has a worldwide base map down to street level. How much more memory do you really need?

Your Geocaching, not back country orienteering in the middle of no where.

It says, "Seemless connection to Geeocaching.com."

Does that mean that mean that you can use the Send To GPS button on the cache page?

To customize your geocaching experience with caches that meet your specific criteria, the eXplorist GC has seamless connection to geocaching.com. This allows you to search one millions caches worldwide. With a click of the mouse, you can transfer the information with the Send to GPS feature.

I just acquired a new GC. I normally use a Magellan XL with Direct Route/Turn By Turn mapping capability and the wife carries a Magellan 500 with no maps. The reason for the GC is to try and get into the paperless geocaching mode.

Yes. With the changes to geocaching.com in recent times you can click on the send To My GPS button. In this mode you get a single .gpx file for each cache.

You can also form pocket queries (by various methods). I used their Vantage Point Lite software to load a group of geocaches (200). Using this method to load one big .gpx file (as opposed to individual files for each cache) I got some recent logs for each cache in the load. The literature on the GC says it can get up to 20 recent logs per cache.

I don't see 20 for any cache. It does not stop at 5. For some caches it seems to only show the year 2010 logs. For older caches the number varies. I have seen as many as 10.

Does anyone know the rules for this?

Does that mean that mean that you can use the Send To GPS button on the cache page?

To customize your geocaching experience with caches that meet your specific criteria, the eXplorist GC has seamless connection to geocaching.com. This allows you to search one millions caches worldwide. With a click of the mouse, you can transfer the information with the Send to GPS feature.

I just acquired a new GC. I normally use a Magellan XL with Direct Route/Turn By Turn mapping capability and the wife carries a Magellan 500 with no maps. The reason for the GC is to try and get into the paperless geocaching mode.

Yes. With the changes to geocaching.com in recent times you can click on the send To My GPS button. In this mode you get a single .gpx file for each cache.

You can also form pocket queries (by various methods). I used their Vantage Point Lite software to load a group of geocaches (200). Using this method to load one big .gpx file (as opposed to individual files for each cache) I got some recent logs for each cache in the load. The literature on the GC says it can get up to 20 recent logs per cache.

I don't see 20 for any cache. It does not stop at 5. For some caches it seems to only show the year 2010 logs. For older caches the number varies. I have seen as many as 10.

So it's been a couple of months, any updates on how the unit is holding up

Thanks,

The unit is holding up great. It is probably the best unit on the market for $200 in my opinion. If you look at the Magellangps.com web site you will find out they have some units coming along with more features based on how the GC is built. Of course they want more money for them too.

I have now interpreted it to the fact that you have 20 pieces of information on each cache (not 20 recent logs). The numnber of recent logs has never gone past 5. Things like a hint count for one piece of info. The .gpx files coming from Groundspeak limit the past logs.

The Lithium batteries that came with the unit lasted very well. We got a couple of days out of them. On just alkaline batteries the unit could use two sets a day. It is still cheper to use the alkalines. Using the suspend feature helps. Right now a Magellan XL with street routing capability takes us to the site. I take the GC out to the cache and my spouse uses an eXplorist 500.

We take no paper. The GC has all the info. To log I make a minumum of shorthand notes because the GCs screen keyboard is very small and hard to navigate. Once back I upload the notes file and start logging the real log info.

We now leave home with at least 1000 caches worth of info. We typically have a 90 minute or more drive to the first cache. Some place in that travel period I let my spouse drive and I research the first group of caches. This has worked pretty well.

I sure like the unit and it is worth every penny. It does not do street routing, but I have expiermented with guiding us to a cache with their maps and compass out in the countryside and in a city. It can be done (city is easier).

Te unit seems to be very rugged. I have not dropped it yet. Putting a lanyard on it makes it hang upside down and it is not very accurate in this position. For a hike back to the cachemobile this works OK. to find a cache you need to be holding it horizontal. we have found caches placed with these GC units and the coordinates are very close.

==========================

So it's been a couple of months, any updates on how the unit is holding up

Thanks,