New Magellan

JABs

Yes, Deadelm is correct. I just added the following updates to my review, BTW:

* “Send to (Magellan) GPS” functionality should be live on geocaching.com the week of April 5

* As noted in the comments, it’s a lot easier to get to geocache descriptions, hints, etc., than I said

* I’ve also been told that Magellan is working on a lighter colored background that should improve legibility in bright sunlight

I used the eXplorist GC this weekend to find a couple caches... I put my other unit away so I could take the time to actually use it instead of it's previous role as a companion unit.

Found the caches quick enough, learned the slightly different way to get from screen to screen. Accuracy was great and with a few tweaks in the interface, it could be a great little unit.

I'm looking forward to software release to tweak a few things. I say that because so far I'm happy with the unit for what it does (accepting that you can't update maps, etc.). I've given some feedback on user interface and a few minor things here and there that I won;t bother repeating here because I'm told that most if not all of them will be addressed so there's no need.

I took this with me on a recent trip from CA to TX via plane and when I landed it took less than 60 seconds to update my position. I didn't even have my seatbelt on at that point. So any concerns about reception, updating position, etc. should be put to rest.

Now that I've shown it to my wife she loves it. Easy enough to use, but powerful enough to handle her needs, too.

Thank you for the review. I am excited about this unit. As soon as it comes out I know I will be waiting to hear about future models. Perhaps one with routable maps which can be updated, POI's, and magnetic compass. The big question then is if you have all those bells and whistles then what will the price be? It will be interesting to see.

If Magellan has new owners/management/whatever and their support is good, I'm there. I have always like their products but hated the [non]support.

I'd like unit that lets you sort in the field. We have stopped searching for micros when the kids are around. With my Oregon I can load the caches but then I have to click on the cache to see the size. The GSAK macro helps by altering the info. I wish the display could be like my TomTom where micros show up as film cans on the map.

I wonder if they will stop supporting this like they did the previous eXplorist line.

Although I love caching, I don't do it often (dozen finds, one hide). My GPS needs are very basic and I've always thought the Explorist 210 was the best basic value around. The map is "good enough," the memory is sufficient for many caches, track logs etc. (I used a posted track log to guide me through the Bitter Springs Backcountry Byway outside of Las Vegas). I even love the form factor. I use a car GPS so I don't need autorouting (and think an all-in-one device is a mistake; if you lose it, you've lost both capabilities and a lot of money).

So, to get to my point. I would love for Magellan to issue a new basic/beginners GPS unit based on the Explorist 210. A comfortable shape, a good basic map, a little more memory (100 megs?), a USB connection and AA batteries.

I think if they would sell it for around $100 it would fly off the shelves.

Although I love caching, I don't do it often (dozen finds, one hide). My GPS needs are very basic and I've always thought the Explorist 210 was the best basic value around. The map is "good enough," the memory is sufficient for many caches, track logs etc. (I used a posted track log to guide me through the Bitter Springs Backcountry Byway outside of Las Vegas). I even love the form factor. I use a car GPS so I don't need autorouting (and think an all-in-one device is a mistake; if you lose it, you've lost both capabilities and a lot of money).

So, to get to my point. I would love for Magellan to issue a new basic/beginners GPS unit based on the Explorist 210. A comfortable shape, a good basic map, a little more memory (100 megs?), a USB connection and AA batteries.

I think if they would sell it for around $100 it would fly off the shelves.

This unit is pretty close to that set of specification, but may be a tad higher than $100

Installed the Magellan communicator and sent a few caches to my explorist GC. It would only allow me to send one at a time, would not allow to send a full page of caches. Also did not send the attributes. It did send the pictures on the cache page. Was easy to install on my Vista laptop using FireFox 3.5.9 I'll try later on IE.

Ok, what I am doing wrong? I installed the Communicator Program (XP using Google Chrome) and when I connect the GPS to the computer I chose "Connect" on the GPS screen.

Then I navigate to a cache page that I want, click SEND TO GPS and get the pop-up window.

When I click on the Magellan tab it says Communicator is not installed.

Anybody want to provide a step by step? I can't think of what I'm missing here...

EDIT TO ADD: I just tried using IE and it worked fine. Looks like it's just a Chrome issue.

Edited by Kealia

Ok, what I am doing wrong? I installed the Communicator Program (XP using Google Chrome) and when I connect the GPS to the computer I chose "Connect" on the GPS screen.

Then I navigate to a cache page that I want, click SEND TO GPS and get the pop-up window.

When I click on the Magellan tab it says Communicator is not installed.

Anybody want to provide a step by step? I can't think of what I'm missing here...

EDIT TO ADD: I just tried using IE and it worked fine. Looks like it's just a Chrome issue.

Nice to know. I still havn't had time to test this in IE. Do the attributes transfer to the GC using IE?

I tested it on all 3 browsers(IE, FF and Chrome) with my Triton 400. When I first installed it and tried it with Chrome it froze. After I rebooted, it worked fine with all 3 browsers. So I guess the trick is that after you install, reboot.

Another issue that I haven't tried yet is that you may need to close VantagePoint. I know I can't connect well with NatGeo TOPO's when I have VP running.

So...Reboot and close VP.

If you send directly to gps, is it stripping the html? I still do that with the Triton. Not sure if it is still necessary, but I haven't had a fatal exception error since I started stripping the html. If we can skip this step ..it would save me the 20 min it takes me to load my gps compared to my friend's garmin of 30 seconds.

The GC is tempting. Only the map issue concerns me.

To the previous two questions: There may be some kind of malformed GPX that may trip it up, but I've found nothing in normal PQs that needs to be manually edited away to be 'dumbed down'.

Explorist GC works fine with Mac. Drop a PQ on it from Finder and it Just Works. It has an issue where if you eject the volume, it gets immediately remounted. So if you don't have extremely fast fingers between the eject and removing the cable, OS/X gets annoyed that you removed a volume without ejecting it even though you really did. It's apparently already fixed in the next version of the firmware.

To clarify that last answer a little more. "Explorist GC" works fine with a Mac. Magellan's software like VantagePoint and thier plugin aren't available at all in Mac versions. Personally, I'm very content to just copy a PQ to the device and go caching but I know others like to slice and dice their data with additional software.

If they got rid of the d*** propitiatory cable and used a standard USB cable, another plus.

2) Standard USB mini-B.

Finally!!! I hate those d**n proprietary cables! Glad to see they're going with an established connector type. Sounds like a great unit and may consider getting one, depending upon the street price...

Probably too much to ask, but I wonder if it has the capability to charge rechargeable batteries using the USB cable? :wub:

Just wanted to add Clyde has worked to have GSAK already supporting this issue. Just uploaded his latest build then sent a load of caches to the new eXplorist, worked like a charm. Loaded the attributes, pictures, and child waypoints for each cache loaded. Sorry I'm not a YouTube contributor to load a video.

And, . . . a Garmin project to boot! I doubt that they'd be releasing any APIs to anybody 'til

they've recouped some investment, which doesn't look like will be happenin' any time soon.

Then, again maybe it's a Groundspeak project, in that case the roaring "Ho, Hum" isn't bringing

too many suitors to the door.

Norm

I didn't see it posted but, the website shows it to have a compass overlay.

http://www.magellangps.com/exploristGC/#1

Im a NoOb in the market for a step up from my iPhone, but Im not ready to spend 500 bucks for a top of the line model just yet. Im seriously considering this product.

It's so simple to use even a Marine can do it. <_< Go Army!

Marines choose to use a GPS for speed. Soldiers need to use a GPS because maps and compasses are too complicated for them! :D:)

SEMPER FI!

In another thread somebody said

The Explorist GC "compass" displays the position of the sun and/or moon on the outer ring (based on the date and time of day). Just turn the screen until it lines up with the heavenly bodies and you are oriented to true north.

Where the heck is this? What am I missing? I don't see those icons and I have a SporTrak Pro so I know what they should look like assuming they are the same. <_<

In another thread somebody said

The Explorist GC "compass" displays the position of the sun and/or moon on the outer ring (based on the date and time of day). Just turn the screen until it lines up with the heavenly bodies and you are oriented to true north.

Where the heck is this? What am I missing? I don't see those icons and I have a SporTrak Pro so I know what they should look like assuming they are the same. <_<

Sun is not very obvious, just a yellow circle. The moon is a little more recognizable blue/gray. In this review there is a screen shot about a third of the way down displaying the sun and moon at the North position.

Ahh.....thanks.

I've seen the yellow dot but the two times I looked at it, it was right next to North so I thought it might be an indicator of True North versus Magnetic North. I don't think I've ever noticed the grey one, though.

Must go check now.

Thanks.

*If any of this info has been posted elsewhere I apologize

Just thought I'd drop some of the stuff I've noticed as well as some impressions.

After picking up a GC at Target last night I downloaded the Magellan Communicator and VantagePoint software and started poking around. I had ran my PQ during their installations so I could do the aforementioned "drag n drop" PQ method. Once I got the GC connected VantagePoint let me log into geocaching.com from the program and load my PQ off the site, rather than using the files on my hard drive. This included all information, hints, attributes, pictures, etc, for all 500 caches. After getting home from caching this morning I connected the GC to my computer and it automatically asked if I wanted to upload my field notes to geocaching.com.

Another thing that I thought was cool is that I got badges for milestones. I got a badge for my first geocache (with the GC of course) as well as a badge for finding a cache in under 2 minutes.

After getting home from caching this morning I connected the GC to my computer and it automatically asked if I wanted to upload my field notes to geocaching.com.

I assume you had to have VantagePoint loaded for this to work?

I haven't installed that yet on my machine to play with it after I ran a quick test of it a while back.

If you send directly to gps, is it stripping the html? I still do that with the Triton. Not sure if it is still necessary, but I haven't had a fatal exception error since I started stripping the html. If we can skip this step ..it would save me the 20 min it takes me to load my gps compared to my friend's garmin of 30 seconds.

The GC is tempting. Only the map issue concerns me.

I am almost at the point of buying one as well. I also have a reservation about the map issue. I'm not sure I want to get a new GPSr if there is no way to update maps. There has been alot of chatter about future models. I wonder how long the public will have to wait to see if this is true?

I am almost at the point of buying one as well. I also have a reservation about the map issue. I'm not sure I want to get a new GPSr if there is no way to update maps. There has been alot of chatter about future models. I wonder how long the public will have to wait to see if this is true?

At this time, they've made no announcements about map upgrades of any kind. The included maps are actually quite good, they're just set to too close of a threshold, IMO. See the pictures in the gpsfaq site.

Then again, Magellan has promised map updates for past products and never delivered those, either, but it's a new generation of products and a couple of owners later, so I'm not sure I'd hold that against them. I guess I'm saying that until you see a few years worth of updates, it's hard to have much of a track record to base those decision on.

IMO, you want two GPSes anyway; one for the car and one for the hunt. You can find auto GPSes that include maps for about the same price as you can buy map updates these days, so I wouldn't get too hung up on that.

A hot-to question:

How do I get my tracks?!?!

At the trailhead I cleared the odometers and clicked on "Start Trip".

At the end, I clicked on "Stop and Save trip" and thought this saved the tracks to the tracks.gpx file in the Tracks folder.

When I save that file to my desktop and open with ExpertGPS, nothing shows up.

So, I opened Vantage Point and tried to view it there. IT seems to show 1 route and 1 tracks but I can't for the life of me figure out how to find out mileage, elevation or even see the tracks on a map.

Anybody else get this to work?