New Magellan

JABs

It says, "Seemless connection to Geeocaching.com."

Doe that mean that mean that you can use the Send To GPS button on the cache page?

To customize your geocaching experience with caches that meet your specific criteria, the eXplorist GC has seamless connection to geocaching.com. This allows you to search one millions caches worldwide. With a click of the mouse, you can transfer the information with the Send to GPS feature.

Looking forward to trying this unit. This unit may put Magellan back in the GPS business if the performance is good. I do not understand multi-directional patch? Hopefully, it will work well under cover. 18hrs of battery and a transreflective screen are good points. Intuitive menus for geocaching will also be a great feature. Need to address maps, the Accu-Terra line up and installation via Vantage point is not good.

I think the biggest impact will be on competitors

DeLorme - Why so long to get the PN60/W to market? This puts pressure on their higher priced new models. Also, this may enccourage Delorme to offer V2.8 update for the standard PN40 w/o having to update to TOPO9! The new GPS does not appear to have a battery life flaw if the 18 hrs stands up to usage.

Garmin- Puts pressure on their high priced line-up! I predict we'll see 400t heavily discounted. Not sure about product placement for Dakota...Never understood the market for that GPS. The Oregon 200, 300 will be less attractive to sell. The new GPS if the specs are right does not have the fatal sun-light visibility problem associated with all Garmin GPS's since the 400t.

Magellan - I would like to see their next series of offerings along the same line as this new GPS w/ additional features. Maps Maps Maps

eXplorist GC is the first GPS device 100% dedicated to geocaching.

Wouldn't that be the GeoMate Jr?

Other interesting points:

• Pre-loaded with the most popular geocaches in the world.
  • SiRFstarIII
  • Up to 10,000 geocaches
  • Sunlight readable 2.2" screen
  • Free 30 day premium membership at geocaching.com
  • On-unit filtering of geocaches
  • Send to GPS and Field Notes

Negatives:

• No compass / barometer
  • No expansion memory (at least, none mentioned)

Edited by Chrysalides
It says, "Seemless connection to Geeocaching.com."

Doe that mean that mean that you can use the Send To GPS button on the cache page?

To customize your geocaching experience with caches that meet your specific criteria, the eXplorist GC has seamless connection to geocaching.com. This allows you to search one millions caches worldwide. With a click of the mouse, you can transfer the information with the Send to GPS feature.

Magellan does not have the "Send to GPS" feature not even for this new unit. Not sure if they will in the future. But you can drag and drop a .gpx file to the unit. No need for another program to load the information. You can use GSAK if you want, but you can load 10,000 caches then filter for what you want for that day by any combination of size / diff / terrain / type.

Edit to add - doesn't mean they won't in the future and it looks like they are planning to do so.

Edited by SgtSue

I own an eXplorist 600 and an eXplorist XL.

Man do I ever have a bad taste in my mouth from the Canadian mapping experience on both. However, my 600 with the tri-axis compass is darned good at sniffing out tupperware.

I'm using a Garmin Colorado nowadays. The map on the screen, looks like the one on the box, and Garmin didn't make me fork out a couple hundred bucks on top of my GPS unit just so MapSource would support my GPS.

I like the 10,000 geocaches support on the eXplorist GC. I hope it supports GC.com field notes. I really don't like the no-expansion card thing. Makes it a real pain to add routable maps --- particularly remembering how the older eXplorists could be rendered unbootable with a bad map load (or a map that corrupted months after it was loaded). Then again, we don't know that the eXplorist GC even supports using a routable map. Lack of the ability to drive to the trailhead is a major issue in my eyes if that isn't supported.

Lack of a compass? Kinda bugs me as I've done the 'ground zero dance' with my wife's XL vs my 600 that tended to just point at the cache.

At the end of the day though, Magellan has to do a lot more than this to win me back. A lot more.

From the Magellan's support FAQ :

# Seamless Connection to Geocaching.com User Community - Easily connect to the #1 user community for geocaching and perform “Send to GPS", create and sync Pocket Queries, and upload Field Notes1

# Free 30 Day Premium Membership to Geocaching.com - Download GPX files, create your own Pocket Queries, and get tons of other premium membership features.

# Pre-Loaded with the Most Popular Geocaches in the World - These caches have been found more than any others! Get a complete out-of-the-box experience by searching and finding the top geocaches worldwide!

# Paperless Geocaching - Download and view more than 20 unique characteristics of each cache and view, search, filter on the device. Details include name, location, description, hider, size, difficulty, terrain, hint, spoilers, and last 20 user logs among a number of other details.2

# Easy to Navigate Menus and Rich Graphics - A dedicated device means there is no nonsense to by-pass to get to your geocaches. A simply main menu, intuitive contextual menus, and vibrant graphics make this device easy to use

# Brilliant, sunlight readable color screen - A vibrant 2.2" color transflective screen provides the best readability in direct sunlight

# Store up to 10,000 geocaches on the device - That is a total of 20 Pocket Queries! Load a new GPX file for each trip or all the locations you love to geocache so you'll have data on board when you need it

# Geocache Awards - Keep track on all your finds and receive special awards based on number of finds, types of finds, and other interesting combinations of actions. The more you find, the more you are rewarded!

# Rugged and waterproof to IPX-7 standards - Focus on the adventure not protecting the device

# High-sensitivity SiRFstarIII GPS with 3-meter accuracy - Most smart phones provide 20-meter GPS accuracy, which will get you close to the geocaching, but will it really help your find it? 3-meter GPS accuracy will put you on top of the cache and make the find that much easier

# Picture Viewer - Whether the log has a pic of the last person to find or the hider attached a spoiler image to help locate a well hidden cache, a picture is worth a thousand words.

# Worldwide Basemap - Orient yourself to nearby streets, rivers, lakes, and parks to help in your treasure hunting expedition

# 18 Hours of battery life using 2 AA batteries - Go strong for an entire day (or more) of geocaching. No stopping to replace the batteries.

# Suspend Mode - The goal is to conserve battery life by putting the device into an advanced power saving mode. Suspend mode will turn off everything expect for GPS tracking. Wake up the device with a single click.

# On-board user memory - Loads of space to add up to 10,000 geocaches and tons of photos and personalized backgrounds

# Create and Store 500 Waypoints - Whether you mark your car, campsite, starting location, or places to re-visit, waypoints are a common and useful feature in all outdoor GPS devices.

# Record Active Track and See “Breadcrumbs" on the Map Screen - Keep a log of all the steps you took throughout the day hunting for geocaches. Reference your track to find your way back to keep a record of geocaching adventures

# Trip Odometer - Keep tabs on distance travelled, average speed, and other useful statistics

# NMEA Message Output (USB Only) - For hardcore outdoor GPS enthusiasts who want to connect their device to laptop running VantagePoint software and see your position on computer screen.

# Multiple Coordinates and Map Datums - Geocache around the world and do it accurately. See your geographic location in UTM coordinates or reference the OS Grid while hunting for caches in Great Britain

I notice that basemap is worldwide and fixed ! I'm european, magellan offer was very limited with triton.

user can upload GPX & pictures but no new map.

I appreciate power managment but a openstreetmap support would be very good.

There are no additional maps for use with the eXplorist GC. It uses a different map file format, so you cant add OSM-, Mapsend- or Raster-Maps to this toy.

Boy, it would be nice if Magellan would put as much effort into functionality as they put into shafting their customer base. Why does the map format change with each new GPS. Better question - why can't I expect something called "eXplorist" to have the same base feature set and map support as the older "eXplorist" units.

If the geocaching manager was in addition to the feature set of the 600/XL I'd be pretty impressed. Right now this is starting to sound like the GeoMate Sr and it won't be for serious geocachers.

I'd say its a high-res street map. I haven't found anything in NAVTEQ's world-wide database that isn't in it.

I agree, I've been on some small streets in some small towns in SC and everyone has been displayed. Much different from the old base maps.

.... what about Topographical features? I'm usually more interested in what side of the river the cache is on than what side of the street it's on.

Hey that's GREAT if the basemap is so complete with street details :lol:

Contrary to the GeoMate Jr., can you actually create a custom waypoint while out in the field with it? Meaning, can you do multi-caches with it?

To you field testers, how has the battery life been during your testing?

Hey that's GREAT if the basemap is so complete with street details :P

Contrary to the GeoMate Jr., can you actually create a custom waypoint while out in the field with it? Meaning, can you do multi-caches with it?

To you field testers, how has the battery life been during your testing?

Yes, you can. You can also project waypoints if need be.

I can't say about battery life. I headed out yesterday for a 4-hour hike with batteries that were only partially charged. They died on me after 3:45 but I blame me for not heading out with either freshly charged batteries or brand new ones.

Bad tester. Bad, bad tester..... :lol:

It has a suspend mode that helps saves your batteries (I cached one evening came home forgot to turn it off and was still able to cache the next morning before batteries died, before my GPS would be dead come morning if I forgot to turn off. I have used both rechargeable and regular batteries. You have the ability to tell unit what battery type (lithium, Alkaline or rechargeable) I was able to ignore the (your batteries are dying power off screen ) and still cache for about an hr and a bit no issues, then it just faded. (I did get the warning again a few minutes before it final faded)

"There's certainly plenty of GPS devices that are well-suited to geocachers, but Magellan is claiming that its new eXplorist GC is the very first such device that's been "designed exclusively for geocaching." That means you'll get loads of pre-loaded geocaches, a free 30-day premium membership to Geocaching.com (which the device links to), and even some merit-based awards that will let you boast about your geocaching skills. Of course, the device will also handle your other GPS needs, and includes all the usual features like waypoint creation, a worldwide basemap, and a trip odometer. Sadly, it won't be much of an adventure to find the device itself -- it'll be available from all the usual sources next month for $199.99." Engadget

Mac and Linux support? Probably not, it's a magellan product...

They probably don't have a Vantage Point-like substance, but it allegedly shows up as a mass storage device that eats GPX with Groundspeak extensions.. Drag and drop a PQ onto it, eject the volume, and go cache.

...just like you can do with select several products from Garmin, Lowrance, and Delorme.

If you can just load gpx right into the device and not have to use VantagePoint, that alone would be a huge improvement.

If they got rid of the d*** propitiatory cable and used a standard USB cable, another plus.

If they would allow the communication protocol to be open with 3rd parties like GSAK, EasyGPS etc, that would be a huge improvement also.

Edited by gpsblake

If you can just load gpx right into the device and not have to use VantagePoint, that alone would be a huge improvement.

If they got rid of the d*** propitiatory cable and used a standard USB cable, another plus.

If they would allow the communication protocol to be open with 3rd parties like GSAK, EasyGPS etc, that would be a huge improvement also.

[ buffering .... ] 3 of 3 wishes granted.

1) Allegedly just copy the PQ to it.

2) Standard USB mini-B.

3) It doesn't look like there is a comm protocol. See #1. I'm sure that Magellan, Clyde (GSAK), and I have some work to do and some trees to shake, but things are already looking way more promising than Triton ever did.

Pictures At Eleven

We are glad to be one of the beta testers of this new device by Magellan.

The first impression was a very handy and nice looking GPS device made for Geocachers.

We have found many Geocaches with it until yet. The reception is very good and the Geocaching functions are very comfortable.

The only thing I do miss a bit is a larger display. But if the price is not too high, it is a very recommendable new product.

We will continue our tests :)

I am wondering how the "new Magellan" will compare to the SporTrak/Meridians.

How far can one zoom in on the Map Page?

On a waypoint projection:

Still can "do" 9999.99 Feet?

And the Bearing, 000.00 deg, or just the 000 deg?

Still have the dual position screen?

When holding "this patch" antenna level, then to verticle, at eye level, or slightly above, what happens to the Sat bars, +- accuracy reading, and the lat/lon reading, when it is set to the smaller all d's, or UTM? How much change?

User Grid:

Does it have Lambert as well as Trans Merc, and do they work?

The Trans Merc works on my Triton 1500, but the Lambert dosn't. Three tickets to Magellan asking if Lambert has been activated/implemented, has resulted in one request for a model number, after a month.

One forum reported that it didn't work.

Still goes to reading in mi, after about 528 ft, I'll bet.

Thanks,

xyzee

Ten feet, thats great! Looks like that there is hope for the new Maggie after all. I have a waypoint, with a 10 ft circle around it, in the backyard. Being able to zoom in that close, makes it easier to view where the unit says that I am, on return visits. As well as for other points

on the map page. The 100 ft on the other units, was too far out to be of any help. One can also see how much the unit is "jumping" when in that close.

Thanks for that tip!

When using a unit with a electronic compass, the arrow would constantly point on your waypoint and you can ignore the map.

When using a unit without a electronic compass, you need to move faster so gps can do the job and use the map to see your waypoint.

When using a unit with a electronic compass, the arrow would constantly point on your waypoint and you can ignore the map.

When using a unit without a electronic compass, you need to move faster so gps can do the job and use the map to see your waypoint.

I started caching just as electronic compasses were being incorporated in GPSr. So when I bought my Meridian Plat I didn't cache in a manner that used the compass. I found a real high quality(natural earth magnet) compass in my other hand far superior.

At the cache location I stand still as the the GPS signals settle and visualize a real world sliding grid pattern to pin point the hiding place.

I thought the three axis compass on my Plat was slow and inaccurate. Like a cheap $3 compass from Rite Aid that doesn't spin well and is consistently 15 to 45 degrees off north.

Anyways, the on board compass is useless to me unless I didn't bring a real one. Just saying.

Mentioned on the Magellan Facebook site, this is the FIRST new Explorist for this new redesign. The way it was said is it looks like they will be releasing others with additional features in the future.

Yes. I just hope one will be an eXplorist XL 2.0 with Meridian like features.

Edited by leatherman

"There's certainly plenty of GPS devices that are well-suited to geocachers, but Magellan is claiming that its new eXplorist GC is the very first such device that's been "designed exclusively for geocaching." That means you'll get loads of pre-loaded geocaches, a free 30-day premium membership to Geocaching.com (which the device links to), and even some merit-based awards that will let you boast about your geocaching skills. Of course, the device will also handle your other GPS needs, and includes all the usual features like waypoint creation, a worldwide basemap, and a trip odometer. Sadly, it won't be much of an adventure to find the device itself -- it'll be available from all the usual sources next month for $199.99." Engadget

Many sporting goods stores and Wal**** type retailers have been burned by the Triton debacle of abnormally high return rates. I would be suprised to see them take on another new Magellan outdoor GPSr.

Maybe Magellan should sell direct via internet.

I'm excited about this new unit. I need to update the maps on my Vista HcX but before I spend the money on that I will take a look at this new unit. The paperless feature and 10,000 cache limit is very attractive to me. Here are my opinions so far.

Positives

-paperless caching on the GPSr, including pictures

-accepts GPX files

-holds 10,000 caches

-includes base road maps

-low price

Negatives

-no built in compass

-no memory storage cards

-no routing on maps

-no POI's, points of interest

-no current ability to update maps

This looks like it will be a great unit for the price. It is not feature rich like the Garmin Colorado and Oregon series but then again it is less than half the price. I will be interested to see how this new GPSr is received but for the price it looks great.

I'm excited about this new unit. I need to update the maps on my Vista HcX but before I spend the money on that I will take a look at this new unit. The paperless feature and 10,000 cache limit is very attractive to me. Here are my opinions so far.

Positives

-accepts GPX files

-holds 10,000 caches

-includes base road maps

-low price

Negatives

-no built in compass

-no memory storage cards

-no routing on maps

This looks like it will be a great unit for the price. It is not feature rich like the Garmin Colorado and Oregon series but then again it is less than half the price. I will be interested to see how this new GPSr is received but for the price it looks great.

This seems more like an entry level Geocaching specific unit. I need that plus much more outdoor function. I'm hoping that'll come out in later models.

Positives

-accepts GPX files

-holds 10,000 caches

-includes base road maps

-low price

Negatives

-no built in compass

-no memory storage cards

-no routing on maps

This seems more like an entry level Geocaching specific unit. I need that plus much more outdoor function. I'm hoping that'll come out in later models.

Sounds like a great unit to have from your car to the cache,I don't need this unit to do what an automotive

gps unit already does !

Thanks for the review. I guess we didn't scream loud enough about the Triton's problem of switching from viewing cache details to viewing the arrow or map... takes way too many clicks.....

But it seems on almost everything else, MiTac listened to the complaints. With Magellan being in the hands of a real GPS company, and not a company that was an "investment group", it's looking better. And it looks the unit is much much simple to use then the ill fated Triton.

And with Magellan still having access to really large retailers like Walmart, they could sell a lot of these.