Ummmm... rattlesnakes?

I'm a New England cacher who will be spending almost 3 weeks in New Mexico soon. I was checking out some of the very cool caches there, quite unlike New England scenery, and I saw some mentions of rattlesnakes.

Uhhhhh.... what do I need to know? There's no way I can bring my 'stout stick' on the plane either.

Thanks.

Hoping not to die,

Paul

We have our share of the monsters in NJ. I assume that rattlesnakes aren't all that different in the west. They usually (but not always) announce their presence. In which case give them a wide berth and move on.

If one doesn't announce its presence but you see it, give it a wide berth and move on. If one doesn't announce its presence and you step on it, make sure you know where the nearest hospital is.

I'm a New England cacher who will be spending almost 3 weeks in New Mexico soon. I was checking out some of the very cool caches there, quite unlike New England scenery, and I saw some mentions of rattlesnakes.

Uhhhhh.... what do I need to know? There's no way I can bring my 'stout stick' on the plane either.

Thanks.

Hoping not to die,

Paul

Rattlesnakes are a reality. You need to avoid them. That's all you need to know.

OK, not really....

Rattlesnakes don't want to fight you. They will usually warn you if you get close. Before you go anywhere, look. Don't reach into holes blindly because rattlesnakes like to hang out with other rattlesnakes in dens. If it's really hot they like to stay indoors. If it's cool and sunny they will probably be out catching a tan. If the temperature is mild (80's or so) then they will be on the move and looking for lunch.

If you are close to a rattlesnake and he sees you, stand perfectly still and try not to wet your pants. If it didn't strike you, it probably won't unless you move. What you would need to do is work up a good amount of spit and spit on the other side of the snake so it will strike at it and then you run the other way like there's a rattlesnake chasing you. OK, not really run but get a good 15 feet further from the snake to be safer. Then you can just walk away and feel free to wet your pants at that time.

Some people advise carrying a few pebbles when in rattler territory because it's hard to work up spit when you are concentrating on not wetting your pants. One of the problems with carrying pebbles is that people carry them in their pockets and you REALLY don't want a rattlesnake striking at the pocket area of pants and it might strike there because reaching your trembling hand into a pants pocket resembles a hamster wiggling around and the snake might just see a hamster dinner on a statue rather than a giant threat. That could be embarassing for you and the snake.

Make sure to have your cell phone ready and that it has service. If you get bit on the leg, use something to block the blood from getting into your system. If you know someone who knows how to draw venom out of a wound, go for it. Make sure they spit though. Swallowing rattlesnake venom isn't good for you.

In all seriousness, most people who encounter rattlesnakes end up walking away unscathed just by standing still but it's very important to know that rattlesnakes have to recoil for a second strike. It takes a little time to do that and the spitting or tossing pebbles really does work for just this reason.

Rattlesnakes are usually less of a problem than the chance of twisting your ankle.

Be aware of your surroundings...PAY ATTENTION!

If you surprise a snake and it bites in defense, it will probably be a 'dry bite' with no venom.

A snake wants to save it's valuable venom for hunting something it might eat.

You are probably too big for the snake to eat.

If you have been teasing the snake, it will not be a 'dry bite'.

The snake is probably more scared than you are, and just wants to get away...give it some room to leave gracefully.

Considering that I live in the Arizona desert, I've done a lot of research on what to do about rattlesnakes. The things to remember are that rattlesnakes don't 'see' you. They 'feel' you through vibrations in the ground and sense your presence via a heat sensing gland. If you are coming up on a rattlesnake, the rattlesnakes first instinct is going to be to flee. Your vibrations are you telling the snake "Hey I'm here! Get out of my way!" If by chance the rattlesnake doesn't run and stays put and you walk up on it, it is likely it will rattle (though not always). This is it's way of saying "Hey I'm here! Leave me alone! Don't come any closer!"

Now it rattling is just a warning. It doesn't mean the snake is about to bite. In fact, a rattlesnake does not want to bite you. To a rattlesnake, biting a human is not a smart thing to do. It can't eat you and by biting you it's only a waste of venom that it wants to use biting something it can eat. However, some older and wiser rattlesnakes can regulate their venom and bite without releasing any venom. For the most part a rattlesnake will only bite a human if it feels it is in a fight for it's life. In that case, wasting venom on a human is better than death. That is why a majority of the people who have been bitten by rattlesnakes are people who have found a rattlesnake and then decided to try and screw with it by making it rattle, or throwing stuff at it, or trying to pick it up, or poking it with a stick.

If you come across a rattlesnake, treat it with respect and it will then treat you with respect. You threaten it's life and it will threaten yours.

Rattlesnakes are most active in the morning and evening and in the Springtime. During the middle of the day, it will mostly be sitting in the shade under a rock or something so you definately don't want to be sticking your hands or feet under a rock if you can't see whats under there. Even though you don't intend to threaten the snake, a wandering hand or foot is a threat and it will bite you for it.

It's good to try and prevent any unfortunate encounters, but don't let yourself be afraid or anything. You're way more likely to die in the car on the way to the cache than get bitten by a rattler. The chances of seeing one are slim. The chances of seeing one and getting bitten are even slimmer. Stay on the trail as much as possible and show respect. AND don't forget your camera just in case!! :)

What you would need to do is work up a good amount of spit and spit on the other side of the snake so it will strike at it and then you run the other way like there's a rattlesnake chasing you.

Wow. I've never heard of this spit and pebble idea. It sounds like a wise tale kind of thing rather than a technique based on science and such.

What you would need to do is work up a good amount of spit and spit on the other side of the snake so it will strike at it and then you run the other way like there's a rattlesnake chasing you.

Wow. I've never heard of this spit and pebble idea. It sounds like a wise tale kind of thing rather than a technique based on science and such.

My family used to go camping a lot when we lived in California. When we would camp in the Lake Hughes area we would occasionally encounter rattlesnakes. A few times stand out in memory. After the first encounter we were questioned by the camp official (I was too young to remember what his official title was, it might have been a forest ranger for all I know) who was trying to determine if it was a tall tale or something to worry about. He was the one who told my parents about spitting or pebbles. He said it was only really necessary if the snake was threatening to strike (coiled and rattling). Otherwise you just slowly back away from the snake.

Chopping wood one weekend afternoon at home in Clear Lake, Ca I had stopped to go have a coffee up at the house. When I returned 45 minutes later I went straight back to chopping and before I took my first swing I felt a hard jab into the side of my calf. I was so stupid to not look around before returning back to the choping block or to have been wearing my boots rather than some rock climbers, and I was also so very lucky to have been delivered a venom free bite. That was 17 years ago last September. Since then I always prefer to wear below the knee hardened leather riding boots that are made specifically to resist bites.

But if you are only going to be visiting an area that has a population of such snakes than spending 250 and up for a pair of boots is over kill, just walk heavy footed and don't zig zag your path and the snakes will almost 100% move out of your way before you see them. 31 years I spent living in areas with a high population of diamond back and other pit vipers as well as the coral snake, and walking heavy and surely seen me to only come across a dozen or so, and only one meeting was a problem.

Also, those boots only work below the knee, your thigh, and hands are no better off and can be the most likely place if you are sitting on a rock or stump.

There are snakes like the corn snake that do their best to mimic the rattle snake but are as harmless as the gopher snake. The coral snake on the other hand does not offer any warning and can be more deadly than the pit vipers, they also tend to be found in areas that have a little more water than the vipers are likely to be found. Just avoid any snake with red and black bands that are separated by a thin yellow band altogether. Or just avoid all snakes with any sort of red band maybe would be better. True or not I am not certain, but vipers tend to avoid areas that have a population of King Snakes, Joshua Tree National Monument has a high king snake count and I understand that pit vipers are not found as often in that area.

Walk heavy and that will be the best thing you can do.

Edited by Endorfun

:lol: Google "surprise a snake and it bites in defense, it will probably be a 'dry bite' with no venom" and you'll learn that all kinds of people can make up all kinds of numbers on how often snakes bites are "dry" ( no venom).

no venom is injected in 20%-40%

the majority of rattlesnake bites are dry.

As many as 30% of all pit viper bites inject no venom

no envenomation, occur in as many as 50% of strikes

I'm calling it 80%, 'cause so many dry bites are unreported. Hey, after the first giant adrenalin rush, it dawns on the person bit that it's just not that bad. No emergency room visit, no report. Been there myself.

I could make up some other numbers, but I'd agree with briansnat on this. You're already caching in an area with venomous snakes, but because there's so much more cover in those NE woods, you don't notice them as much. Don't stick your hands in holes. That's about it.

I saw some mentions of rattlesnakes.

Paul

!) Make sure your life insurance is paid up "before" you go in case you either get bitten, or more likely in my case, DFO when you see said snake. (Definition of DFO = D one F ell O out)

2) Pay attention to rule #1

~snip~

True or not I am not certain, but vipers tend to avoid areas that have a population of King Snakes, Joshua Tree National Monument has a high king snake count and I understand that pit vipers are not found as often in that area.

I don't know that vipers necessarily avoid areas with a population of king snakes or that king snakes keep the population low.

lgcaliforniaeatingmc908.jpg

King Snake finishing off a juvenile rattlesnake

They are called KING snakes for a reason. :lol:

We did a nice long western tour about two years ago, and one of my first souvenir purchases was a nice hiking stick. Very good for testing holes and hidey places for all sorts of residents. AND, back home where the terrain isn't always flat and dry it's good for keeping your balance too.

Thanks.

Hoping not to die,

Paul

As soon as the plane lands go the the nearest home depot - type store and get a mop or broom handle for your " stout stick" or get a piece of aluminum conduit, put a crutch or table leg end on one end and a handtruck or bicycle grip on the other and you're in business ( the latter is the receipe for the BAMBOOZLE hiking stick which I've given away coast to coast over the years )

My wife and I wouldn't cache without our sticks. Most all regular caches are hidden in places snakes like to hide.

We spent a month out west and a "quest" was to see a rattle snake.......saw dozens of warning signs and went to caches reputed to have rattlers....no luck. The same year walking through the woods in Ocale, FLA we almost stepped on one.........you never know.

Insects are really the threat to cachers........we've had a few really bad spider bites and I've had more bee/wasp stings then I can remember.

I have had four encounters with rattlers while caching. Follow the advice that's been given. Heed the warning rattle. Watch where you are walking. Don't stick your hand where one might be resting. I usually carry a walking stick - it might not be a bad idea depending on where you actually go.

The closest encounter was when my dog spotted one near the trail, went after it, knocked me over on the hill, and ended up staring a coiled rattler a few feet away. Luckily I held on to the leash and pulled her away. The best encounter was coming across two rattlers staring down each other, each one trying to be taller. The one time I did not have a camera with me.

I once met a person who had been bitten three times and described the rule of thirds. One third of the time the snake will have minimal venom and one third of the time you will get most of it. There is a cache in my general region named for the estimated cost of the hospital bill after one of the latter bites.

But for some reason all my encounters have been near where I live rather than when we have cached off-trail in the desert.

Hey, Paul - Don't get killed, dude - you are still going to have to tell some folks how to solve your more devious puzzles.

You have received all sorts of advice by now, and you really don't want to get into a close encounter with any species of snake. Even the non-venomous ones can leave you with a nasty infection. The venomous ones probably won't kill you unless you have an allergic reaction to their venom. Stay calm if bitten and head for medical assistance.

Avoidance is the best strategy. Don't put any part of your body in a place you have not checked out thoroughly beforehand. For example, don't step over logs - step on the log and then step over. Stepping over a log puts your lower leg and ankle in a place you have not yet checked out. That's an avoidable risk.

Around here, most snake bites occur on the hands and forearms of persons who have just said "Hey, hold my beer while I grab that snake." Given a choice, be the person holding the beer.

All the best on your trip.

Hehe very funny description :lol:

Thanks.

Hoping not to die,

Paul

Rattlesnakes are a reality. You need to avoid them. That's all you need to know.

OK, not really....

Rattlesnakes don't want to fight you. They will usually warn you if you get close. Before you go anywhere, look. Don't reach into holes blindly because rattlesnakes like to hang out with other rattlesnakes in dens. If it's really hot they like to stay indoors. If it's cool and sunny they will probably be out catching a tan. If the temperature is mild (80's or so) then they will be on the move and looking for lunch.

If you are close to a rattlesnake and he sees you, stand perfectly still and try not to wet your pants. If it didn't strike you, it probably won't unless you move. What you would need to do is work up a good amount of spit and spit on the other side of the snake so it will strike at it and then you run the other way like there's a rattlesnake chasing you. OK, not really run but get a good 15 feet further from the snake to be safer. Then you can just walk away and feel free to wet your pants at that time.

Some people advise carrying a few pebbles when in rattler territory because it's hard to work up spit when you are concentrating on not wetting your pants. One of the problems with carrying pebbles is that people carry them in their pockets and you REALLY don't want a rattlesnake striking at the pocket area of pants and it might strike there because reaching your trembling hand into a pants pocket resembles a hamster wiggling around and the snake might just see a hamster dinner on a statue rather than a giant threat. That could be embarassing for you and the snake.

Make sure to have your cell phone ready and that it has service. If you get bit on the leg, use something to block the blood from getting into your system. If you know someone who knows how to draw venom out of a wound, go for it. Make sure they spit though. Swallowing rattlesnake venom isn't good for you.

In all seriousness, most people who encounter rattlesnakes end up walking away unscathed just by standing still but it's very important to know that rattlesnakes have to recoil for a second strike. It takes a little time to do that and the spitting or tossing pebbles really does work for just this reason.

My preferred method of dealing with rattlesnakes before I got like I am now was to put my left leg out and have the rattlesnake strike my foot, then use a forked stick to pin his head to the ground. Then reach down and pick it up and bag it.

Now I'm a bit too unsteady to really look for them any longer. So I just watch where I'm going at all times. And especially take care when turning over logs or sticking your hand in a crevice.

(did I mention I have a prosthetic leg?)

Let me add a few facts in here about Rattlesnakes.

1) They just aren't going to chase you

2) They can strike from just about any position.

3) The rattlesnake union does NOT require them to rattle before striking.

4) A typical rattlesnake can strike about 2/3 of it body length away from itself.

5) 80% of rattlesnake bites in the USA are to males aged 14 to 26. More than half of bites involved alcohol. (draw your own conclusions here).

6) Carry a stick with you to probe bushes, rocks and other places a snake might be. A snake will generally move away quickly (if it can).

I had an encounter with a rattlesnake at this cache back on the 13th of March. As I hike with a stick and was rock-hopping among weeds, I let my hiking stick do the prodding and poking to try to locate the cache. The actual GZ was about 20 feet away, but under power lines, expect some flaky readings.

The first sign of rattlesnakeness was the hissing, it sounds rather like air escaping from a tire.

The second was the short rattling fits, which sound like a small gourd rattle.

The first thing to do is remain calm - If the snake is agitated it will strike at at movement.

User your eyes - Try to identify where the snake is. Look for the head or, if it is moving, the direction it is moving in.

I kept my stick at the ready, should I need it for a frenzy of snake beating, but once I saw where the snake was and where it was going, since it was indeed on the move, I stepped backward and away from the rock the snake was moving under.

I've lived in a desert area with lots of rattlesnakes almost all of my life, but I've only seen rattlesnakes out in the wild a handful of times - and only twice while caching. My home has been in the middle of rattlesnake territory for about 10 years now, and I have seen way more rattlesnakes than I can count in my back yard. It's opened my eyes to how they act.

Rattlesnakes basically just want you to leave them alone. If they are far enough away, they will rattle at you so you don't even come close to them. If you are close to them, they will try to remain perfectly still so that they blend in. It's amazing how few times I've heard a rattlesnake rattle, probably only 10% of all my encounters with one. They don't want you to know that they are there, unless they feel safe that they can get away from you.

There have been so many times where I didn't even know I was near one until I was practically touching it. I have never had one try and bite, fortunately. I had an experience where I almost stepped on one, and I swear that poor thing got one of those horrified shocked expressions on its face like in a cartoon. We both gasped, I superhumanly jerked back without stepping on it (I still don't know how I managed that), and it got away as quickly as possible.

Another time, I was walking back and forth in my back yard, exercising. After about 15 minutes, I realized that a rattlesnake was coiled, resting in the shade of a tree that I had been walking within a foot of repeatedly. He was just keeping an eye on me, quietly. If he wanted to get me, he could have, but decided to just blend in.

So, like others have said, you will either hear them, or you just need to watch where you step and put your hands, because they blend in and they remain silent more often than not (which is a disturbing discovery). People walk by them more often than they know, I bet.

The bite statistics are quite low, and most of them are because someone decided to play with the poor thing. :lol:

Wow, thanks. Maybe I should just stay home. :- ) I like the idea of the mop handle, easy and cheap.

Thanks!

No need for a mop handle, which is probably has too much mass and will slow you down it you need to wield it. Get yourself some nice walking poles. They are light and agile, and help you with your hiking more than you can appreciate without them.

Likely you will never need to use one to defend yourself, but at the very least you can place them between you and trouble, should it appear. They're also great for poking into places where innocent creatures may be just minding their own business until you came along, so you can keep your hands away from their indignation at your intrusion.

No need to spend big bucks, Target have some poles which are in the $20 region.

2) They can strike from just about any position.

3) The rattlesnake union does NOT require them to rattle before striking.

I think these two points need repeating. A snake does not have to coil up to strike. Just because they do rattle doesn't mean they have to rattle.

We used to have a local reptile dude that came to my high school every year. He usually brought about six or eight FREAKING HUGE rattlers with him. He would "encourage" one of them to strike from a non-coiled position just to show the first point and would show off his scar to show the second.

Edited by Castle Mischief

MY first advice for any geo-cacher is to get familiar with the pioson snakes. Jump at the Chance to visit a safe display and sit down and learn that snake. Rattle snakes are fast strikers and have sharp fangs to penitrate. Loose pants get alot of folks by. The rattler can blend in really well in dried leaves and for sure may or may not sound the alarm. If you are in a staring contest -just slowly back up and increase you distance. Do not torment or kill the snake. Do not assume one snake. If you are bit - learn what to do - remove rings if hand bitten - identify the snake for the doctor and get help asap. If bitten you probably won't die, but you are in for a really bad time. It will not be fun. A hiking stick is just about as useful a thing as you can find. I do believe in moving the snake off trail if found there. If the snake bites your stick more than once he usually hates it and moves on. Touching the snake with the stick doesn't get much attention so be more mean with him and send him away from the trail.

Read everything you can find!

Edited by GPS-Hermit

There have been so many times where I didn't even know I was near one until I was practically touching it. I have never had one try and bite, fortunately. I had an experience where I almost stepped on one, and I swear that poor thing got one of those horrified shocked expressions on its face like in a cartoon. We both gasped, I superhumanly jerked back without stepping on it (I still don't know how I managed that), and it got away as quickly as possible.

I like your post. My dad was always deathly afraid of snakes so I think I grew up with a bad snake 'role model' but I've been trying hard to learn more about them and get over it.

Anyway, out in the desert once I saw a rattlesnake and invited a nearby mountain biker to come take a look. After we got pictures we left it alone and were talking about rattlers in the area. He told me that he saw them all the time in the area and that one time he even ran one over while on his mountain bike. :lol: Naturally I said "OMG, did it bite you in the leg"??????? He replied "Hell no. It looked up at me and was scared s***less and trying to get away as fast as possible!" :P I'm sure he saw the 'horrified shocked expressions on its face like a cartoon'.

I do believe in moving the snake off trail if found there. If the snake bites your stick more than once he usually hates it and moves on. Touching the snake with the stick doesn't get much attention so be more mean with him and send him away from the trail.

Why move him off the trail? To prevent anyone else coming upon him?

Personally, as it stands now, if I came up to a rattler on the trail, I'd let him have it and go way around.

No need for a mop handle, which is probably has too much mass and will slow you down it you need to wield it. Get yourself some nice walking poles.

I'm quite fond of my "stout stick" which is about an inch in diameter and about 4 feet. Light and agile it is not. But stout it is. I always carry it with me. Well, I guess not when I need to get on an airplane...

No need for a mop handle, which is probably has too much mass and will slow you down it you need to wield it. Get yourself some nice walking poles.

I'm quite fond of my "stout stick" which is about an inch in diameter and about 4 feet. Light and agile it is not. But stout it is. I always carry it with me. Well, I guess not when I need to get on an airplane...

My mobility aide is about 1.25 inches in diameter at the top, tapering to about 1 inch, 5 feet of eucalyptus. Strong yet slightly willowy and easy to shift and wield as need be. I've become quite attached to it. I need to put a travelbug dogtag on it. :)

Thanks.

Hoping not to die,

Paul

First off, have a good plan if you see a rattlesnake. Here are some recipes: LINK

And here is some good info from the Calif DFG: LINK

MY first advice for any geo-cacher is to get familiar with the poison snakes.

I'm going to put on my pedantic science nerd hat on for a second. Read this in a nasally, smug tone. "I think you mean venomous snakes. There are no poisonous snakes." If it helps the overall character you can pretend that I said "as if" at the end there.

Do not torment or kill the snake.

Good advice.

Touching the snake with the stick doesn't get much attention so be more mean with him and send him away from the trail.

Horrible advice.

Thanks.

Hoping not to die,

Paul

Having encountered three rattlesnakes this caching season in NM, I would recommend hiking sticks and be very very careful while you are hiking. As an example, we were leaving a cache on Capitan Peak near Roswell NM and I stepped over a large rock and felt a thump on my left ankle. I took another step and turned to see the lizard or ground squirrel that had stupidly ran in to my foot. The culprit turned out to be a five foot Western diamondback and I took a fast number of steps backwards and yelled "Snake" to my partner. She was carrying the camera but was not fast enough to get a picture. The snake only rattled a few time and went under the large rock that apparently had a den under it. No fang marks on my hiking boots Thank God.

Most of our caching is done in wilderness areas and we will not be caught without or walking sticks, cell phones, GPSr and at least 3 L of water. You will see all kinds of caches in NM but be aware there are snakes near most of them.

A little thing about Rattlesnake bites ok. Just because you dont think you were bit with venom, you always assume you were. The reason is that you just never know. Also you never know if there will be some kind of reaction to the bite. Even a nonvenomous bite can cause serious problems for some people. So always seek medical attention. Previous posters are right though, they normally will warn you. Just make sure you walk with heavy footsteps so they know you are coming.

Uhhhhh.... what do I need to know?

They do not taste like chicken. Nor, do they cook like chicken. A good marinade for rattlesnake is wild orange juice. Add some port wine and some cracked pepper corns. Let soak for a day. Slow smoking is best, though you can cook them on a grill. Frying them is just a kwick way to ruin a bunch of meat. I like to serve them with some kind of starch, like mashed red potatoes, and some Caesar salad. Trace amounts of Hollandaise sauce add to the natural flavor. For your beverage selection, treat it like a red meat. A strong, heady French red does nice things for a palette during a rattlesnake dinner.

A little thing about Rattlesnake bites ok. Just because you dont think you were bit with venom, you always assume you were. The reason is that you just never know. Also you never know if there will be some kind of reaction to the bite. Even a nonvenomous bite can cause serious problems for some people. So always seek medical attention. Previous posters are right though, they normally will warn you. Just make sure you walk with heavy footsteps so they know you are coming.

Is there a way to tell if they used venom or not? I'm curious, because I never knew that they could choose whether or not to inject.

Is there a way to tell if they used venom or not? I'm curious, because I never knew that they could choose whether or not to inject.

I think you'd know within a few minutes. But yes, they do "dry bite".

Uhhhhh.... what do I need to know?

They do not taste like chicken. Nor, do they cook like chicken. A good marinade for rattlesnake is wild orange juice. Add some port wine and some cracked pepper corns. Let soak for a day. Slow smoking is best, though you can cook them on a grill. Frying them is just a kwick way to ruin a bunch of meat. I like to serve them with some kind of starch, like mashed red potatoes, and some Caesar salad. Trace amounts of Hollandaise sauce add to the natural flavor. For your beverage selection, treat it like a red meat. A strong, heady French red does nice things for a palette during a rattlesnake dinner.

Dipped in corn meal and pan-fried is pretty good, too. Taste and texture more like lobster than anything; translucent and stringy. Better if your mother doesn't wait for you to get a mouthful and then gleefully blurt, "say, this isn't bad FOR A SNAKE!"

I grew up hiking around a highly snakey area and only ever saw the one alive. So I killed it. And my mom made me eat it. Mountain rattlers like the ones I grew up with in Tennessee are fat and shy.

If you get bit on the leg, use something to block the blood from getting into your system. If you know someone who knows how to draw venom out of a wound, go for it. Make sure they spit though. Swallowing rattlesnake venom isn't good for you.

The CDC has different recommendations.

That CDC link is a fine example of gubmint in action.

The key phrase in that link is "After a natural disaster..."

Then they proceed to tell you what to do as if you were at home under normal circumstances.

Almost by definition after a natural disaster your first responders will be very busy, more likely overwhelmed, telephones likely out of service, perhaps local hospitals overwhelmed or out of service.

Normal stay-calm-call-for-help treatment will not apply. Even in a minor disaster you will be on your own for hours, perhaps even days, before 'normal' first-responders can get to you.

The same is true if you are unable to go for help... if, say, you are alone out hiking for a geocache.

Nice of them to tell folks what to do under optimal circumstances, though. :D

The best and only effective snake bite treatment is antivenin, something anyone unable to get quickly to medical professional help should have in their kit.

Among others your doctor can prescribe this in dry (stable) form

http://www.wyeth.com/content/showlabeling.asp?id=441

http://www.chop.edu/service/poison-control...-fab-ovine.html

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

If you get bit on the leg, use something to block the blood from getting into your system. If you know someone who knows how to draw venom out of a wound, go for it. Make sure they spit though. Swallowing rattlesnake venom isn't good for you.

The CDC has different recommendations.

Tourniquests for rattlesnake bites are bad advice... very outdated and can actually cause damage by keeping the venom concentrated.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-206901656.html

(could cite many more sites, but anyone that doubts it can easily do further research themselves)

Ever had a rattlesnake milkshake?

God freaking help me.

Never heard of a rattlesnake milkshake, but there's somebody stupid enough somewhere to do anything!

Due to concerns by animal-rights activists it's mostly a music and art fair now but for 50+ years we have had an annual Rattlesnake Rodeo in Opp Alabama where folks from all over the country catch rattlesnakes and bring them to the rodeo. Rednecks, beer and rattlesnakes; it wasn't a question of if someone would get bit but how many!

They still gather and cook rattlers in every conceivable way, most of the recipes are pretty good.

http://www.motogoose.com/opp/opp.html

Rattler Racin'

opp_7.jpg

I was always real concerned that they get an accurate count when they gathered up the snakes after events like this! :D

And wouldn't you be proud if those ol' boys voted your daughter Second-alternate Rattlesnake Queen? :lol:

opp_3.jpg

Don't tie anything above the bite. Don't try sucking out the venom. Get away from the snake. Try to remember what kind bit you. Don't waste time trying to kill it. Go to the nearest medical facility. Above all stay calm. The more you panick the faster your heart beats and the faster the venom is carried through your system. I have taken care many snake bites. The previous posters are correct in saying that the more juvenile the snake the more likely it is to enject alot. By the way most rattlesnake species are Hemotoxic. It will destroy the tissue around the bite. Destroys organs and also causes blood not to clot. In Arizona and California they have the Mojve Rattlesnake. It is neurotoxic. Which can affect your ability to breath.

By the way has any one else heard that the production of Coral Snake antivenin will no longer be made. They sited the fact that the snake is highly toxic, but that the getting a bite from one of them is not very likely due to how docile they are. Still makes me a little nervous.

Don't tie anything above the bite. Don't try sucking out the venom. Get away from the snake. Try to remember what kind bit you. Don't waste time trying to kill it. Go to the nearest medical facility. Above all stay calm. The more you panick the faster your heart beats and the faster the venom is carried through your system. I have taken care many snake bites. The previous posters are correct in saying that the more juvenile the snake the more likely it is to enject alot. By the way most rattlesnake species are Hemotoxic. It will destroy the tissue around the bite. Destroys organs and also causes blood not to clot. In Arizona and California they have the Mojve Rattlesnake. It is neurotoxic. Which can affect your ability to breath.

By the way has any one else heard that the production of Coral Snake antivenin will no longer be made. They sited the fact that the snake is highly toxic, but that the getting a bite from one of them is not very likely due to how docile they are. Still makes me a little nervous.

From what little reading I have done on the statistics the vast majority of snakebites are to the hands, forearms and calves of folks who thought it would be fun to mess with the snake.

Fear of snakebite is much like that of sharks after the movie Jaws. Statistics tell us it is rare but it still scares the dickens out of folks!

Fear of snakebite is much like that of sharks after the movie Jaws. Statistics tell us it is rare but it still scares the dickens out of folks!

I read at one site that more people die from insect stings each year than snake bites.

Here's what you should be worried about, but few do.

Top 15 causes of death in the US:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/LCWK9_2006.pdf

Snakebite has never been in even the top 100 causes.

Interesting how we ignore the top 15 causes to focus on the bottom 1%. :blink:

Here's what you should be worried about, but few do.

Top 15 causes of death in the US:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/LCWK9_2006.pdf

Snakebite has never been in even the top 100 causes.

Interesting how we ignore the top 15 causes to focus on the bottom 1%. :blink:

Interesting, but I suspect somewhat misleading, since it also includes what we generally call dying of old age (I thought it was interesting that Alzheimer's was included as a cause). I still doubt, however, that snake bites would be anywhere near getting on that list.

Here is a very interesting link regarding fatal snake bites: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_victi...e_United_States