Contacting another cacher?

dad-and-ash

Is there any way to contact another cacher about a coin they're holding aside from sending them an email? We politely emailed someone several months ago and they replied by saying they would place the coin in a few weeks. Everything was good. Now it has been several months and they have done nothing. I've emailed them 3 times, including tonight, since then with no response. :) They have logged on the website recently as last week, so they are still active. I even offered to send them a prepaid envelope to mail the coin back to us! No reply! :lol:

Any other way to contact them aside from email? Maybe ban thier membership or something?

Now this is a great question...

several of my coins and trackables have diappeared, a few remain "in the hands" of a fellow cacher; one coin was "lost in my son's toy box"

I have attempted to send friendly and gracious emails...very rarely have I heard back...although,

I have been told by a prominant cacher in CA (after a caching event where several people "discovered" 5 of my coins) that I "need to get over it and let go of my coins...it's the way things go in goecaching" ---- as if my coins were his

:)

I for one disagree. We in the caching community can and should be responsibile with one another's trackables...even go out of our way to help a trackable on its way or return it to the owner

I have had one coin returned after an 18 month "absence" - an encouragement to all of us!

any answers out there?

bewildered

:lol:

:lol:

True - this is frustrating. When a trackable goes missing with a cache - "ces't la vie" - but when one of us takes a trackable and then just does not place it - I feel it is irresponsible with someone else's property - just as borrowing a DVD and and maltreating it and not returning it - poor form.

I'd certainly like some sort of reminder - or way to access another local cacher - or report to a moderator who can track down the cacher via a "real name:" or something similar.

it is a shame to have our trackables dissappear through laziness or negligence.

Certainly have no problem with genuine losses. I know I had a few trackables stolen out of my luggage on international travel by airport staff. Totally beyond my control - and also heard of an unfortunate cacher whose home burned down and lost a friends coins in the blaze.

I gave up sending emails.

I let my coins travel, and I'm delighted to get an email telling me, where it is.

I than look at the cache and in which region it is.

Most of my coins have visited places I probably will never have the chance to ever see for myself.

What aggrieves me is one of my coins, which was gifted to me in a mission and never sent travelling. That coin is still in the hands of the user, who supposedly gifted it to me and never put it in a cache. This I consider unfair.

I also never sent copies on the way. The coins and TBs might appear again and that would be difficult with two travellers with the same number.

I've heard, some people rename the coin to: "Stolen by ....."

But truth be told, what can a coin owner do? If someone lost a coin, they could just drop it in another cache virtually and than it would appear to be lost then. We can't help it.

Just be happy about all the nice emails and pictures you get, and don't be bothered about those, who seem to be stuck.

Trackables are like hot air ballons. We send them travelling, but can't influence the journey.

Is there any way to contact another cacher about a coin they're holding aside from sending them an email? We politely emailed someone several months ago and they replied by saying they would place the coin in a few weeks. Everything was good. Now it has been several months and they have done nothing. I've emailed them 3 times, including tonight, since then with no response. :) They have logged on the website recently as last week, so they are still active. I even offered to send them a prepaid envelope to mail the coin back to us! No reply! :lol:

Any other way to contact them aside from email? Maybe ban thier membership or something?

I would take 3 deep breathes and let it go for a while, harassing someone is only going to make it worse. It's dissappointing but I have had travelers turn up unexpectedly.

Is there any way to contact another cacher about a coin they're holding aside from sending them an email? We politely emailed someone several months ago and they replied by saying they would place the coin in a few weeks. Everything was good. Now it has been several months and they have done nothing. I've emailed them 3 times, including tonight, since then with no response. :lol: They have logged on the website recently as last week, so they are still active. I even offered to send them a prepaid envelope to mail the coin back to us! No reply! :P

I had to check your list of trackables real quick and make sure I wasn't the one. I've had a coin all winter, posted some pics and promised to drop it off in a cache shortly but haven't been caching since. However I do log on to check the forums and to read about new caches. But I hadn't been getting any emails so I'm partially happy I wasn't causing YOU this grief (still guilty to the coin owner who is feeling it though).

As a coin owner who's lost dozens upon dozens of coins to cache muggles and coin thieves all I can say is you've done all you can. You can't make someone go out caching to find an appropriate cache to drop your coin into when their heart isn't in it. The more you try the more they are likely to dump it into the nearest 1*/1* magnetic Altoids container that's already been replaced half a dozen times.

As for people who say you should accept it quietly as it is the way of geocaching I say "Bollocks". Just because everyone is doing it doesn't make a wrong right. You've let the cacher know you're anticipating some movement and hope they'll be able to comply as soon as they can. That's all you can do.

As for people who say you should accept it quietly as it is the way of geocaching I say "Bollocks". Just because everyone is doing it doesn't make a wrong right.

You've let the cacher know you're anticipating some movement and hope they'll be able to comply as soon as they can. That's all you can do.

I don't understand these statements. They seem opposites to me.

As for people who say you should accept it quietly as it is the way of geocaching I say "Bollocks". Just because everyone is doing it doesn't make a wrong right.

You've let the cacher know you're anticipating some movement and hope they'll be able to comply as soon as they can. That's all you can do.

I don't understand these statements. They seem opposites to me.

Shoot, I had to google "Bollocks". :lol:

First of all, the best thing to do is keep your emails friendly and rare. Anything could have happened, from health, to weather, to economics, to family issues, to no cache big enough to drop it in. You don't know until you walk a mile in their shoes. The more you pester some people, the less likely they are to want to please you.

Step back, and now that Spring is coming, they might be able to move it for you. Could even be as simple as they don't remember where it is, and are looking for it. Haven't you ever lost anything underneath the car seat?

I've had bugs disappear and come back a few times. It happens. It would be nice if they would reply, but they might not have their email set up to receive the messages either. Or they don't check that email often. I did a little resaerch, and

1. Posting those notes to the geocoin page certainly doesn't help at all, you're calling them out, and you have no idea what they are going through. Those notes are antagonizing and uncalled for.

2. They live in upstate NY. The current snow depth where they live is 15" to 22" as of today. It might have been a little hard for them to even get out in the woods the last few months, and any guardrail caches have been buried under plowed up piles of snow, slush, sand and salt.

3. They haven't been out caching since October, 2009.

4. In the two years they've been a member they have less than 70 finds, that tells me they don't have all the time in the world to enjoy caching, but does this mean they can't enjoy every aspect of the game?

If I were you, I'd back off, relax, and let nature take its course.

If Groundspeak were to ban every member who ever held a TB too long, there wouldn't be anyone left to hide or seek geocaches. That won't happen.

Edited by Eartha

Shoot, I had to google "Bollocks". :)

LMAO! :D

I have never heard this word before!!!

I had to google too!! :unsure::DB)

:D

I often have to google words used on these forums (patootie was one of them) but this one was instantly recognisable... Not one I use "in polite company" but one I occasionally mutter under my breath when something goes wrong.

MrsB :D