Longest since last official visit?

PI Joe

There are plenty of "long forgotten" benchmarks in the database. What I meant was, let's see who can physically locate a benchmark that hasn't been "officially recovered" lately.

I could not locate the one I mentioned at the start of this thread but I am on the trail of another one that hasn't been recovered since 1954 also.

Lou

quote:
Originally posted by LazyK:

How about 1933?

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.asp?PID=DU0943

I found this a few months ago during a benchmark hunting phase. Monumented 1935, nothing since. Until I found it. It's a railroad spike embedded in the top of a small railroad bridge. (Tracks are long gone, if you were worried about my personal safety.)

rdw

Last year I recovered one established in 1899, the only recovery in the history section of the official data sheet is mine, in June of 2001.

If you would like to check it out the Station name is Nunda, located in New York State PID NB2026 You may have to go to the NGS site, for some reason none of my 40 or so recoveries show up on Geocaching Benchmark pages, including I might add, Station Irish, PID NB1941

Your recovery doesn't show up, nor do any of mine from late last year, because the CD-ROMs J&E are using are a year or two old. They are a snapshot of the NGS database at that time. People will just have to check the NGS website for officially submitted recoveries.

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

Your recovery doesn't show up, nor do any of mine from late last year, because the CD-ROMs J&E are using are a year or two old. They are a snapshot of the NGS database at that time. People will just have to check the NGS website for officially submitted recoveries.

rdw

This was the first thing i looked for. was disappointed that my official recoveries didn't show up when linked to from the site. icon_confused.gif

11902_900.gif

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

rdw

This was the first thing i looked for. was disappointed that my official recoveries didn't show up when linked to from the site. icon_confused.gif

11902_900.gif

UWDawg and Misguided one found Rockdale a few weeks ago. I was with them, but was looking in the wrong spot. It hadn't been logged since 1937.

'''I wonder what Latitude or Longitude I've got to?' (Alice had no idea what Latitude was, or Longitude either, but thought they were nice grand words to say.)'' -- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

I have not noticed anyone logging one older than my recovery of the benchmark monumented in 1899 and recovered by me in 2001. I have just out done myself having recovered a mark monumented in 1897, as soon as my recovery is listed on the official data sheet history section I will log it here on geocaching.com with pictures. It is a third order horizontal triangulation station, sure could not believe my eyes when my GPS said 5 feet and there it was. How did they do that back in those days?

Prior to the advent of electronic measuring equipment, triangulation was the most precise method of geodetic positioning and when properly executed it proved well suited to the process of creating a control network on a continental scale. Remeasurements and adjustments done in modern times have indicated that the original work, executed entirely with optical equipment, probably contained no more than 50' of accumulated error all the way from the east coast to the west coast - an amazing achievement.

Maybe no one thought this one was worth reporting to NGS since it was in plain sight on a locally-popular bridge in the nation's capital.

But I visited it, photographed it and reported it to NGS, and I was glad to have a chance to revisit the lovely Q Street 'Buffalo Bridge.'

The mark been there at least since 1926, but the datasheet doesn't mention when it was actually monumented.

This is a good example of one that is probably so well known among the local professionals that no one feels the need to file a recovery note when they use it, even though its been many years since anyone did so. This is typically the case when the original description is still sufficient. I would suspect that it was set when the bridge was built. Note that it appears to be slightly recessed or sunken, indicating it may have been placed when the concrete was still wet, which is the preferred time to set one, since its a lot easier than drilling into the finished concrete. Many of the oldest markers in the country are in and around Washington D. C., including some of those set during the original boundary survey of the district.

I posted this on another thread but thought I should also mention it here. I went out to find this one yesterday, JC1600. It's first and only observation was in 1871. At the time it was an insane asylum, now it is a state mental hospital. I still think finding actual markers that are old, even if newer than 1871, is even more interesting, but this one is still pretty cool.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

quote:
Originally posted by Dawgies:

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.asp?PID=DN0120

Until now.... icon_smile.gif

Wow congrats!

But are you qualified enough to report it? icon_rolleyes.gif

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

If the USPSQD can do it....you get the jest.

If I can just figure out which of these little buttons makes the email go.... icon_razz.gif

I report all to the NGS. Da Good ~ Da Bad and Da Ugly.

Your faithful servant..... icon_wink.gif

~Honest Value Never Fails~

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

quote:

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.asp?PID=DN0120

Until now.... icon_smile.gif

Wow congrats!

But are you qualified enough to report it? icon_rolleyes.gif

Jeremy Irish

If I can just figure out which of these little buttons makes the email go.... icon_razz.gif

I report all to the NGS. Da Good ~ Da Bad and Da Ugly.

Your faithful servant..... icon_wink.gif

~Honest Value Never Fails~

quote:
Originally posted by ROCKY:

Last year I recovered one established in 1899, the only recovery in the history section of the official data sheet is mine, in June of 2001.

If you would like to check it out the Station name is Nunda, located in New York State PID NB2026 You may have to go to the NGS site, for some reason none of my 40 or so recoveries show up on Geocaching Benchmark pages, including I might add, Station Irish, PID NB1941

Awww......Rocky!!

I was hoping to be the one to find that one first!... icon_smile.gif

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

quote:
Originally posted by ROCKY:

Awww......Rocky!!

I was hoping to be the one to find that one first!... icon_smile.gif

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

quote:

Yes. There have been some recovered by us that the USPSQD have indicated were missing. We should list those with their logo so people can "check their work" icon_biggrin.gif

Jeremy Irish

quote:

Yes. There have been some recovered by us that the USPSQD have indicated were missing. We should list those with their logo so people can "check their work" icon_biggrin.gif

Jeremy Irish

this one is waiting for someone to find. only problem I see it this area is now all private property and it the mark still exists and was not wiped out by Lake Superior erosion, it is in heavy timber and GPS will not be easy. Can't see 100 ft due to heavy timber Evergreens and hardwoods.

I think it may still be there, I got my truck within about 1000 ft but did not want to trepass. Can't get in the area with ATV, to many trees etc.

Mike

Survey Tech (Retired)

SG0166 ***********************************************************************

SG0166 DESIGNATION - TRAVERSE POINT USLS 1871

SG0166 PID - SG0166

SG0166 STATE/COUNTY- MI/HOUGHTON

SG0166 USGS QUAD - GAY (1975)

SG0166

SG0166 *CURRENT SURVEY CONTROL

SG0166 ___________________________________________________________________

SG0166* NAD 83(1994)- 47 08 41.73406(N) 088 13 59.71014(W) ADJUSTED

SG0166* NAVD 88 - 1. (meters) 3. (feet) SCALED

SG0166 ___________________________________________________________________

SG0166 LAPLACE CORR- -11.84 (seconds) DEFLEC99

SG0166 GEOID HEIGHT- -35.55 (meters) GEOID99

SG0166

SG0166 HORZ ORDER - FIRST

SG0166

SG0166.The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods

SG0166.and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in February 1997.

SG0166

SG0166.The orthometric height was scaled from a topographic map.

SG0166

SG0166.The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC99 derived deflections.

SG0166

SG0166.The geoid height was determined by GEOID99.

SG0166

SG0166; North East Units Scale Converg.

SG0166;SPC MI N - 263,217.141 7,906,459.966 MT 1.00001562 -0 53 29.0

SG0166;UTM 16 - 5,222,007.187 406,495.602 MT 0.99970745 -0 54 14.9

SG0166

SG0166: Primary Azimuth Mark Grid Az

SG0166:SPC MI N - VULCAN 045 30 19.4

SG0166:UTM 16 - VULCAN 045 31 05.3

SG0166

SG0166|---------------------------------------------------------------------|

SG0166| PID Reference Object Distance Geod. Az |

SG0166| dddmmss.s |

SG0166| TY7765 VULCAN APPROX.47.2 KM 0443650.4 |

SG0166|---------------------------------------------------------------------|

SG0166

SG0166 SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL

SG0166

SG0166 NAD 83(1986)- 47 08 41.72551(N) 088 13 59.68762(W) AD( ) 1

SG0166 NAD 27 - 47 08 42.02000(N) 088 13 59.25400(W) AD( ) 1

SG0166

SG0166.Superseded values are not recommended for survey control.

SG0166.NGS no longer adjusts projects to the NAD 27 or NGVD 29 datums.

SG0166.See file dsdata.txt to determine how the superseded data were derived.

SG0166

SG0166_MARKER: V = STONE MONUMENT

SG0166_SETTING: 0 = UNSPECIFIED SETTING

SG0166_STABILITY: D = MARK OF QUESTIONABLE OR UNKNOWN STABILITY

SG0166

SG0166 HISTORY - Date Condition Recov. By

SG0166 HISTORY - 1871 MONUMENTED USLS

SG0166

SG0166 STATION DESCRIPTION

SG0166

SG0166''DESCRIBED BY US LAKE SURVEY 1871

SG0166''ON THE EXTREME END OF TRAVERSE POINT. MARKED BY STONE POST.