Possible to view another user's geocaching map?

drewstreet75

Sorry if this has already been discussed, First post EVER, but I would like to know if it's possible to view another user's geocaching map instead of seeing their found caches in list form. It would be interesting to me to be able to see some of the local "big wig's" maps and how vast their smileys extend in a certain area

I know of no way to do it automatically like clicking on a person's name and going to a map. However, with a bit of work you can manually create one for any person.

Go to the person's profile page and then to the listing of all their caches. You'll see a listing for the various types of caches they have found, ie, traditional, multi, virtuals, letterbox, etc.

Go to the first type and click on that box. You'll get a listing of their found caches for that type and there will be 20 caches listed on a page.

At the bottom of that page is a click box "Check All". Click it which will put a check mark next to each cache.

Then click the "Download Waypoints". That will download all the WPs on that page.

Do that for each page, giving each DL page a different name.

Then go to the next type of found cache and repeat the process until you've gone thru all the types.

When you get all pages DLed you will have all of that person's found caches DLed to your computer. For example, if you wanted to map all of my found caches you'd end up with 161 separate files DLed to your computer.

Next, using a program like GSAK, import all of those saved files and consolidate them into one listing.

Then export that listing to a mapping program like MS Streets & Trips or Delorme Street Atlas.

Import that file into which ever mapping program and it will then show you the location of that person's found caches.

So it can be done. It just depends on how much effort you want to expend on creating a map.

Yours was easy to do with 2 finds.

DS75.jpg

I know of no way to do it automatically like clicking on a person's name and going to a map. However, with a bit of work you can manually create one for any person.

Go to the person's profile page and then to the listing of all their caches. You'll see a listing for the various types of caches they have found, ie, traditional, multi, virtuals, letterbox, etc.

Go to the first type and click on that box. You'll get a listing of their found caches for that type and there will be 20 caches listed on a page.

At the bottom of that page is a click box "Check All". Click it which will put a check mark next to each cache.

Then click the "Download Waypoints". That will download all the WPs on that page.

Do that for each page, giving each DL page a different name.

Then go to the next type of found cache and repeat the process until you've gone thru all the types.

When you get all pages DLed you will have all of that person's found caches DLed to your computer. For example, if you wanted to map all of my found caches you'd end up with 161 separate files DLed to your computer.

Next, using a program like GSAK, import all of those saved files and consolidate them into one listing.

Then export that listing to a mapping program like MS Streets & Trips or Delorme Street Atlas.

Import that file into which ever mapping program and it will then show you the location of that person's found caches.

So it can be done. It just depends on how much effort you want to expend on creating a map.

Yours was easy to do with 2 finds.

DS75.jpg

Very interesting.

I think it would be easier to just ask them for their password though. :lol:

Very interesting.

I think it would be easier to just ask them for their password though. :lol:

I have no interest in creating a map of anyone else's finds but it can be done if a person wants to put the effort to it. I don't care about someone else's map but some people might.

Edited by Wadcutter

The problem with creating maps is that you need to get the information to plot it. Unfortunately there is no way to easely retrieve it, except when you ask the other cacher.

In some occasions you might find a plot on their homepage. I got a couple of them on mine homepage.

The problem with creating maps is that you need to get the information to plot it. Unfortunately there is no way to easely retrieve it, except when you ask the other cacher.

In some occasions you might find a plot on their homepage. I got a couple of them on mine homepage.

Guess you never read my post. No need to ask another cacher for their data. I explained how to retrieve the data and provided a map of the drewstreet75's finds. Since drewstreet75 only has 2 finds it made it very easy to do.

Below is another example for you. I DLed just your multi caches that you've found from your profile page. Took just a few seconds. I excluded multis that have been archived but they're just as easy to retrieve. Since you have quite a few finds I wasn't going to take the time to DL all your finds from your profile page so I just DLed the multis since it was listed first on your profile page. If a person wanted to map all your finds it would only take them a couple of minutes to DL all your finds. Doing the below map of just your multis took me less than 3 minutes from start to finish.

Once you have it plotted on a map you can zoom the map. You can also click any of the red dots or whatever you want to use as markers and it will ID the cache.

MOOSE.jpg

Edited by Wadcutter
Below is another example for you. I DLed just your multi caches that you've found from your profile page. Took just a few seconds.

what, nobody posted yet how that is totally against the usage terms and conditions of the gc.com website and how it's gonna get you banned? :)