Garmin Summit Etrex, can it upload waypoints?

itibbi

Thinking of buying a used one (it's the older version, with the serial port).

If I get the data cable (and a usb adapter) will I be able to upload cache waypoints? Just the name and long/lat coords. Not sure if a mapping feature is needed to do that. Right now I enter the waypoint manually.

I'm using a borrowed extrex (just etrex, nothing else) right now, don't have a cable for it yet, so I don't know if it's possible with either of them.

Edited by itibbi

Yes, you can do that. It may depend on the cable you use. I have read that not all cables contain the same chipset and the ones from Radio Shack are known to not work. You can find info on the GSAK site that addresses this also.

HERE you can read about the cable problem.

Edited by mr007s

Remember that the non-H (non-High Sensitivity) units don't perform well under heavy tree cover. They have trouble getting enough signal.

If the price is really good, then it's probably worth it. The Summit has the electronic altimeter and electronic compass - the electronic compass is nice for Geocaching. You should probably be spending $50 - $60 in my opinion for that unit. I base that on the fact that the eTrex H (high sensitivity) can be had new for between $80 and $100. The eTrex H doesn't have an electronic compass, but I would trade that for the better reception in challenging conditions based on price.

Just some things to consider. Best of luck.