As a surveyor, I love this!!

Rudolfthered

I can't wait to get more into this site. This BM search section just makes me giddy inside. I cannot tell you how much surveyors get frazzled by BMs that are not where they are suppossed to be. I hope to get more info on BM's in the Sacramento, CA area. This can only help me, my boss, my company, and the people who hire us. Right on!!

So I pick up a handheld GPS unit thinking that it would be handy in finding section corners and benchmarks deep in wooded areas. (Not to take away from the art of traditionally locating these monuments, but hey, time IS money) My first test to verify the positional accuracy of the unit was to input the coordinates of a NGS station and to go look for it. I got wood when the unit put me 5 feet away from it. And then I found this site. Good luck in your searches, ladies and gentlemen. I'll be out in the field if you need me. icon_biggrin.gif

Not sure what your intentions are.... It is possible to calculate rough Lat/Long or UTM coordinates for a section using USGS Quadrangle maps (1:25000 series), but it sounds to me as if you are trying to locate the property corners of a parcel with handheld GPS, and that does not work as it is not accurate enough. If you are trying to use GPS just to go to it, then using a Quad Map or a website such as TOPOZONE.com will get you in the ballpark. Use UTM coordinates instead of D/M/S, as it will be more accurate. (Note that coordinates given on USGS Quadmaps are on NAD29 Datum - NOT NAD83) If you are trying to locate a parcel in the hopes of calculating a boundary or something along those lines, consult a local land surveyor.

surveyor im not trying to find any property boudies im trying to find a metal detecting site to search for some old coins .these figures i gave are what was listed in a old book there are about 10 different sites i want to locate .i have some topo maps of the areas but what im saying is once im in the woods walking you loose site of exactly where your at on the map .thats why i thought f i could convert these figures to gps cords i could walk right to the spots .i was also trying to figure out from the legal desription i gave above how many acres the search would be narrowed down to ?would it be around 60 acres.?if so it would take forever to find the remains of a burnt down cabin

The SE 1/4 of the SW 1/4 contains 40 acres more or less, 1320 ft x 1320 ft. This is only in general terms, in reality it will not be this exact.

I would go to the local court house or where ever the record land corners in you city state. Look and see if any of the corners for this parcel are recorded. Then co out and see if you can find them. Then use your GPS to log the waypoints of the section corners. This could turn into a major project if you know litle about land surveys etc

Dalton

The answer to your original question is no, a legal description of the kind you recited cannot be converted to coordinates without more detailed information than you have listed. Descriptions of that kind are not intended to relate the property to latitude and longitude. Still, the place should be fairly easy to find, unless its way out in the middle of a large forest, way back in the mountains, or somwhere else thats a long way from the nearest road. I would go to the county tax assessors office, hand the descriptions you have to them, and ask to see the maps they have showing those areas. The maps are free for the public to examine and copies are usually only a dollar or two each. These maps show property lines and roads, which should make it easy for you. USGS topographic maps, usually available from sporting goods stores for the local area, often show section lines and section numbers in red, so they can also be used for this purpose, but the disadvantage of them is that most roads are not identified by name on them, making it easy for those not experienced with them to get lost when venturing into unfamiliar areas. Also, be careful not to wander onto private property and get yourself torn up by their dogs or shot for trespassing.