Decisions, Decisions!

Team Shydog

I will be making another trip out to the Seattle area to attend Geowoodstock in July. I have had my eye on a couple of caches and was wanting to get some opinions. I had planned on taking a couple of days and doing both Monte Cristo and Purgatory. Plans have changed a bit and now I will only have one day to cache that area, so here is where I need the help of some of the local cachers. Which one should I do? There will be a small group of us going for which ever one is chosen, and since I am doing the planning I get to chose which one. From looking at the cache pages both would be great caches to find. I know both are on Hydnseks' NW Classics list, which I used on my last visit as a guide. So instead of flipping a coin I thought I would ask the experts. Thanks for any input you may have.

Chris-Team Shydog

Agreed. Purgatory. That's just an amazing hike up and an amazing lunch break at the top.

Don't get me wrong, visiting the ghost town is a lot of fun and you can get some phenomenal shots of the towering peaks around you, but take a look at Purgatory's gallery at the over the cloud pics I took. It simply took my breath away. I think I was getting pretty annoying with the camera.

I'm with the others, Purgatory is amazing (though I have yet to do Monte Cristo). Try to go on a weekday if you can though, it's a bit of a superhighway on the weekends. If you plan your day well, maybe you can do the hike early in the morning and then at least drive farther up the highway toward the Monte Cristo trail head and stop at Big Four, etc. - great views along that drive.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Purgatory was my first choice, the photos are amazing. I think I will make my plans to tackle this cache during my trip this time around. That means I will just have to come out for another visit to get Monte Cristo :unsure:

Thanks again, and I am looking forward to seeing you all this summer.

Chris

Hi All, Just a quick follow up here.

Our group had a great hike up to Monte Cristo on the Monday following GW8. We had planned on doing Purgatory but a couple of factors made us change our plans at the last minute. The weather was the major factor in our decision to hike up to Monte Cristo, that and I was able to talk my wife and her sister into joining us for the hike. They are not the outdoors type, so I thought a somewhat level hike would be best for them.

The Tank Hounds joined us for the hike as well. At the trailhead we ran into another group of cachers that were heading up to Monte Cristo. It was great to meet up with Moun10Bike, Prying Pandora and their friends from Eastern Washington state and Maine. They were very nice to let us tag along with then to find the caches and enjoy their company. It was good to have their knowledge of the area as well as their insight into some of the cache placements along the way. A great day caching for sure.

So it looks like I will just have to plan another trip out West in a few years to grab the Purgatory cache, oh darn :laughing:

Thanks again for all you input. I really enjoy visiting your area not only for the great caches but the meeting the fine cachers that call the PNW home.

One more thing. I bought a Northwest Forrest Parking pass that will be good until the end of July 2011. I used it for the week I was there but do not need it back here in Indiana. If someone could use it, please drop me a note through my GC account and I will send it out to you. First come, first get.

Chris-Team Shydog

**Parking pass has been claimed**

4699014e-dcec-4bea-b1f7-59508d6666bf.jpg

Edited by Team Shydog