your search exceeded 500 caches

Rock Dogz

I've been using this site daily for a couple years now and I love it. My biggest peeve, though, is that the map can't display 500 items, even though it would be actually displaying much fewer. The query that maps the items shouldn't include filtered objects in the 500 limit. That is my improvement suggestion.

- Rock Dogz

For the GoogleMap version on Geocaching, let's say that an area is saturated with 301 mystery caches and 100 multi-caches and 100 traditional caches. When you zoom out to cover the area, it will says "your request has exceeded 500 caches". But if you deselect showing mystery caches and multi-caches, you only are displaying 100 caches. However, the same distance will still say your search has exceeded 500 caches, even though you're DISPLAYING only 100.

The problem is that the system calculates the number of caches in the field of view prior to selecting or deselecting cache types to display or hide. That increases the speed. The upside of having the "count" happen after the "display types" command would be that you could zoom to the point of actually displaying 500 caches. The downside is that every select and deselect of a type would take much longer to calculate.

I will say to the original poster that as a premium member, you can set up a pocket query to cover a particular type of cache in a particular radius (say traditional caches, and specifically caches of a certain type or terrain level) and then map the results of the pocket query without ever having to have the query sent to you via e-mail. That may be a much better way of getting the fine-tuned results you want.

I can rarely get anywhere near 500 to show. When I try to zoom it seems to take a huge leap out and then I get the 500 caches message. I plan to try and figure out if I'm doing something wrong soon. A few days ago I wanted to create a pq and no matter how hard I tried to zoom the map out just a little bit it would not work. Just kept toggling from 132 caches to over 500. The reason I wanted the larger map was to try and figure out where to start my next PQ and minimize the number of copies without having any gaps. Maybe there is a better way to do that. But I also had that problem when I was traveling and wanted to search my route to pick out good area’s to stop. I haven’t tried to weed any caches out yet so I haven’t run into your prolem. Good luck.

The zoom on the map isn't that sensitive. There's only certain levels to which you can zoom. Instead, choose a large area and then break up the PQ by groups of date placed (May 3, 2000 - June 6, 2006; June 7, 2006 - May 31, 2008, etc). Then there'll be no overlap in your PQs.

I think the point was disregarded hastily. I think that the web developer should change the map to let the users choose to count only the displayed icons. It could have a checkbox to turn this on, with the label "Count only icons not filtered (slower). Then the people that select it can do so knowing that it is slower. I have mentioned this to other cachers and they unanimously agree.

- Rock Dogz