back roads in the routes

Borky00

I am sorry I was not descriptive enough.

I am trying to Create a Route in the Geocaching.com web site and I did part of the route saved it and then tried to do more of the route and it moved what I previously saved to send me along a larger more traveled road but I know I will not be traveling that road so can I make the route stick to where I put it and not adjust the previous route?

Thanx

Bill

I am sorry I was not descriptive enough.

I am trying to Create a Route in the Geocaching.com web site and I did part of the route saved it and then tried to do more of the route and it moved what I previously saved to send me along a larger more traveled road but I know I will not be traveling that road so can I make the route stick to where I put it and not adjust the previous route?

Thanx

Bill

What happens if you don't save it until you have it the way you like it?

I am trying to route a back road trip across the entire state of Iowa. Being from a computer back ground I learned to save my work often, when I saved it after a small portion of the trip it saved it but then going back to it to continue on and the route moved back to a major road and not where I put it.

Do I need to do the whole route and not save small parts?

Thanx

Bill

I am trying to route a back road trip across the entire state of Iowa. Being from a computer back ground I learned to save my work often, when I saved it after a small portion of the trip it saved it but then going back to it to continue on and the route moved back to a major road and not where I put it.

Do I need to do the whole route and not save small parts?

Thanx

Bill

I don't save it until I'm happy with it. Give it a try, you've got nothing to lose but a few minutes.

Hi I follow this posted by GeoBain several years ago. It works well to let you create a route you want and not the shortest way it decides.

There is a trick you can use to automate this, but it's a little clumsy.

The interesting part is that Google MAPS (not Google Earth) will let you modify the route interactively. If you generate directions in maps.google.com , you can then left-click anywhere on the route and drag that point somewhere else to modify the route. For example, just drag your Torreya route off of I-10 and onto Blountstown highway!

The clumsy part is exporting the modified route as a KML file from Google MAPS. If you look at the top right of the map, you'll see a link called [Link to this Page]. The trick is

* Left-click on [Link to this Page]

* copy the text with the URL in the first field (called "Paste link in email or IM) with "Cntl-C"

* paste that text somewhere (probably in a new browser window)

* add the following to the end of the text: &output=kml

* open a link to that new URL (with the &output=kml at the end of the address) and you should get options about either opening it with Google Earth, or saving it on your computer. From there, proceed to use the KML file of the modified route in the usual way to make a "Caches on a Route" query.

Here's an example of a modified URL ending in &output=kml See what it does in your browser.

The last bulleted step will be a little different on every computer, depending on the browser, the way you handle KML files, etc. But the point is that you can (1) modify the route in Google Maps and then (2) use the &output=kml trick to export the modified directions.

I hope this makes sense...