Would these good ideas for a cache theme?

I've been told NOT to buy a GPS -it's a rule in our family not to buy yourself stuff like this when a holiday is coming up :laughing: ussually means you'll get what you've been wanting, so I'm being patient, but am thinking of a place I would like to hide a cache

- nearest cache is .3 miles away, so proximity should be fine I think, let me know if I'm wrong.

-The name of the road is McDonald Road, with lots of available crown land to hide on.

-I was thinking of including plaster animals as cache swag with a matching log book.

-Interesting point : This is NOT a farm community

IDEA #2:

-again nearest cache would be the above one I might place, so proximity would be ok

-name of the road is Rockyview and yes, you can see the rockies, the road is a dead end with a fence that says "no trespassing", but the find would be on the road side of the fence.

-I would have polished rocks as swag, and hide the cache near the huge rock

What do you think, would thes intrigue you?

I've been told NOT to buy a GPS -it's a rule in our family not to buy yourself stuff like this when a holiday is coming up :unsure: ussually means you'll get what you've been wanting, so I'm being patient, but am thinking of a place I would like to hide a cache

- nearest cache is .3 miles away, so proximity should be fine I think, let me know if I'm wrong.

-The name of the road is McDonald Road, with lots of available crown land to hide on.

-I was thinking of including plaster animals as cache swag with a matching log book.

-Interesting point : This is NOT a farm community

So what would you name this cache? ;)

Keep in mind that what you put in the cache as swag is going to disappear as the cache is found. In this case most of the animals will wander off to new homes fairly quickly.

Now if you state that this is a kids cache, and encourage swapping of animals it might stay on target longer.

IDEA #2:

-again nearest cache would be the above one I might place, so proximity would be ok

-name of the road is Rockyview and yes, you can see the rockies, the road is a dead end with a fence that says "no trespassing", but the find would be on the road side of the fence.

Polished rocks as swag??....... :laughing: Not my cup of tea.

I'm not so much interested as what swag is in a cache as I am about finding the cache. Now if I spot something that I find interesting, like a key fob with a car key on it, and can make a TB out of it, I'll swap something out for it. Other than that.......... I just look at the swag to see what others have put in.

IDEA #2:

Polished rocks as swag??....... :laughing: Not my cup of tea.

I'm not so much interested as what swag is in a cache as I am about finding the cache. Now if I spot something that I find interesting, like a key fob with a car key on it, and can make a TB out of it, I'll swap something out for it. Other than that.......... I just look at the swag to see what others have put in.

My daughter loves finding polished rocks in caches, and has gathered a nice collection.

#1 name possiblity : This McDonald doesn't have a farm.

As for the animals I would be able to replenish the stock, but your idea is great to so I might encourage that to.

#2 name possibility : Rockyview turn around (the road is a dead end, and turning allows you to see the full beauty of the view.

As for the rocks some would have a pendant attachement, others a key chain, and possibly making one a trackable would be cool - I have some unpolished that have been sliced in 1/2 giving my a perfectly flat surface for painting/stamping/writing. How would I go about doing this?

What about having a container which is related - not sure what would work for the farm one (a tractor or house shaped one?) but you can get rock shaped key hides, also larger rubber imitation ones (see garden stores).

Quite a few people leave little bags of polished semi-precious stone chips in caches, and I know my kids (and me & Mr. F!) would love to find a small polished piece of, say tiger's eye, or obsidian or haematite in a little bag with a card about the rock and related geology.

I have some unpolished that have been sliced in 1/2 giving my a perfectly flat surface for painting/stamping/writing. How would I go about doing this?

Not sure, but if you can spare some to try things out, how about seeing if there's something you can eat into the surface of the rock with - an acid like vinegar might work, I don't know. Then it's just a matter of thickening to an ink consistency, and maybe getting a stamp pad made of your logo. OR what about glass etching materials? Try looking up etching materials and see what you find, some will be chemical, some more like sand blasting. You could then colour the etched areas with some permanent inks. If you've got a strong steady hand and a good eye, maybe a diamond tipped hand etching tool would do, with just a 'JK'.

Can't answer about making them trackable.

#1 name possiblity : This McDonald doesn't have a farm.

As for the animals I would be able to replenish the stock, but your idea is great to so I might encourage that to.

#2 name possibility : Rockyview turn around (the road is a dead end, and turning allows you to see the full beauty of the view.

As for the rocks some would have a pendant attachement, others a key chain, and possibly making one a trackable would be cool - I have some unpolished that have been sliced in 1/2 giving my a perfectly flat surface for painting/stamping/writing. How would I go about doing this?

actually that sounds really nice

Almost everything that you've mentioned sounds really good. One small thing - I hope that you meant plastic animals. Plaster ones would have to be well sealed to prevent damage from moisture in the container.

Eh, I'd find 'em just to find 'em.

Kids would probably dig the stones, and you could try to do an animal toy exchange in the McDonald one. Take a plastic horse, leave a rubber snake...

I always check out the swag in caches to see what other people leave and I always try to leave something, but I rarely take anything.

Is the Easter Bunny going to bring you a GPSr? :laughing:

I sure hope so, I had an ad in the garage sale and had discussed a geomate with somebody when my Mom said she may be able to get a geko for less than a geomate, so I just have to be patient, I expect my real adventures will begin May/June when it's warm enough to bike to about 8 local caches! not a lot for the large rural community but I have plans to change that!

I like both your ideas and think it's great that you want to hide some caches. But I see from your profile that you've found only one cache yourself (unless you've been out caching with others and just not logged the finds.) Do you have family members or friends who are active geocachers?

You will learn a lot about placing caches by finding more of them first. One important thing we've learned is that the container must be water and animal proof! That means using an ammo can, a decon container, a lock and lock box, (or a bison tube for tiny caches.) Common household storage containers, disposable plastic food containers with lids, or metal boxes don't hold up for long. Anything out in the woods may be chewed upon by wild animals, especially if there's any lingering odor of food on the container, or anything in the cache that might produce a smell.

It's important to hide the cache so that it can be found by geocachers, but not by casual passers-by. For instance, covering it with leaves will last only until the next heavy rainstorm, or a windy day. Caches must be placed in a location where people can find safe parking and where they will not trespass on private property.

You also need to learn how to find and save accurate coordinates on your "coming-soon" GPS; this may take a bit of practice. If you are hiding the cache under thick tree cover, or near large rocks or a building, that affects the accuracy of your GPS readings. By being thoughtful about the placement and the coordinates of your cache, you provide an enjoyable experience for your fellow cachers.

And lastly, you want to be sure you can take care of any problems that may happen, such as replacing a wet log book, or adjusting the coordinates if you get a lot of DNF's posted. It's a good idea to place your first few caches close enough to home that you can get out to them if they do need maintenance, or check on them if they seem to go missing.

I hope you'll have a lot of fun designing and placing your own caches and that you'll get many finders! Good luck!