Question About Taking/Leaving Trackables

Dagny Taggart

OK. Here's my scenario:

While on a trip to a remote place where I had no access to a computer to log things, I found a cache with a travel bug. I decided to take the travel bug and move it somewhere. On my way home from the trip, I did some more caching and was tempted to put the travel bug in one of these caches. But, I decided against this, because I hadn't been able to get to a computer to log that I retrieved the travel bug from the cache in the first place. My concern was that someone would take the travel bug from the cache that I placed it in, BEFORE I got home to log all of this.

How should I have handled this? Can I be out and about, moving travel bugs from one place to another and just log everything when I get home (provided that I know its tracking number and cache numbers)? Will it work out like that even if someone takes it from the cache that I placed it in BEFORE I have a chance to record its movements?

Thanks!

That happens quite often.

You can:

- just drop the trackable, but write down the number, or even take a photo.

- drop it and attach a note, explaining the situation.

- keep the trackable until you had a chance to log it online.

Everything is fine as long as the trackable is moving and doesn't get lost!

GermanSailor

It can make things annoying/awkward/confusing if another cacher picks up a trackable from a cache before you've had a chance to log it into the cache and write your own log for it.

Some people who are traveling on an extended journey and knowing that they will be unable to do the necessary logs very promptly take some pre-printed slips with them which say something like

"(Your caching name) dropped this trackable into this cache on (date) but I will be unable to do the necessary logging until (date). Kindly do not grab the TB until I've had a chance to do so."

It seems a neat solution. :laughing:

MrsB

just drop the trackable, but write down the number, or even take a photo

Just be sure not to post a photo that shows the tracking number; if you want to post the photo, you could crop out or blur out the tracking number first.

I like MrsB's solution and have thought I should make up some slips like that.