Want to Buy: Beginner Garmin GPS

Now that we are seeing signs of Spring and I have found my first cache, I am anxious to get started caching with my family! I think this will be a fun hobby and one that fits our budget ($0), after the initial purchase.

I am looking to buy a used Garmin GPS eTrex Legend or something similar... I want to be sure however that it is compatible with at least one of our computers. 2 have VISTA. 1 has Linux (eeebuntu). (I read a customer review somewhere that the Legend didn't work with his VISTA computer.)

As we know that neither of us will be employed after the end of the month, money is an object. I would like to pay less than $76 including shipping to zip code 12303 - Capital Region (Upstate) New York.

Have you recently upgraded and have an extra one lying around?!!

Thanks for any help you can give me!!

D'Andy

Now that we are seeing signs of Spring and I have found my first cache, I am anxious to get started caching with my family! I think this will be a fun hobby and one that fits our budget ($0), after the initial purchase.

I am looking to buy a used Garmin GPS eTrex Legend or something similar... I want to be sure however that it is compatible with at least one of our computers. 2 have VISTA. 1 has Linux (eeebuntu). (I read a customer review somewhere that the Legend didn't work with his VISTA computer.)

As we know that neither of us will be employed after the end of the month, money is an object. I would like to pay less than $76 including shipping to zip code 12303 - Capital Region (Upstate) New York.

D'Andy

Edited by montana travler

D'Andy

You will enjoy the Venture HC t, thats what I started with and have recently upgraded to a 60 Csx and I love it!

Happy Cacheing!

I just recently got the Garmin Venture HC as well. Still on my first set of batteries. Much better than trying to find something with my car's Nuvi 255W. I got it new for $116 including shipping so the price was right. Enjoy your new hobby! :D

Thanks! We used it today to find our first find where neither of us knew where it was. Seemed accurate until we passed the cache but then the GPS didn't have a clue after that. Odd. Wonder if it is us or the unit. Fortunately we found the cache without it's help.

Do you have any pointers? Should we be carrying a non electronic compass too? :)

Edited by DandyDear711