Page size

drsolly

When I load the front page of this site, there's a 1 mb download, according to the counter on my mobile.

When I load a cache page (even with zero graphics) there's another 1mb download.

I've had a bit of a look at the source code, and I can't see what's so big. And even if I could see, I wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

Now my mobile is on an "unlimited" data plan. That "unlimited" plan is (of course) limited to 500 mb per month (in common with most "unlimited" plans). If it takes me 2 mb to view a cache page, then that 500 mb is going to get chewed up very fast.

I do know about wap.geocaching.com, but the problem with that is that a lot of info on the normal cache page, isn't there.

Is Groundspeak aware of this issue (and do they understand why it's going to be a problem).

And is there a way I can avoid this big data transfer hit every time I look at a page?

It's the overhead (JavaScript mostly) for all the fancy features such as the picture viewer and the Google maps.

There's not much we can do, except lobby Groundspeak to offer an option between the full site and the woefully limited WAP site. A "Basic HTML" view, just like Gmail offers.

The full site is clearly designed for wide-screen monitors and broadband connections.

The WAP site is designed for a postage-stamp sized screen and exorbitant 1998-era data plans.

Many of us would appreciate something in between. Simple HTML, no fancy Ajax effects, and (my personal pet peeve), would fit on an 800 pixel display without scrollbars.

We can dream...

(Actually, why can't the full site fit on an 800 pixel display? Hmm? Just leave the main area variable and drop the minimum width. Please.)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

It's the overhead (JavaScript mostly) for all the fancy features such as the picture viewer and the Google maps.

There's not much we can do, except lobby Groundspeak to offer an option between the full site and the woefully limited WAP site. A "Basic HTML" view, just like Gmail offers.

The full site is clearly designed for wide-screen monitors and broadband connections.

The WAP site is designed for a postage-stamp sized screen and exorbitant 1998-era data plans.

Many of us would appreciate something in between. Simple HTML, no fancy Ajax effects, and (my personal pet peeve), would fit on an 800 pixel display without scrollbars.

We can dream...

(Actually, why can't the full site fit on an 800 pixel display? Hmm? Just leave the main area variable and drop the minimum width. Please.)

I'd have thought it would be pretty easy to make it a user-selectable option, maybe for premium members only, so that in your profile you could say "no" to the big, clever stuff. The pages are dynamically constructed, so the page constructor would then leave those items out. It might be worth mentioning that these items make the site impossible to use for people who don't have broadband, so there's some limitation on potential subscription income.

OK, so how does one go about lobbying Groundspeak?