what you listening to

Just wandering what yall listen to while geocaching whether in the car or out in the field. Any speicific playlist or song(s) ya like to listen to?

I Think anything by CCR is good for it or some celtic music or even nature music.

Usually, my Garmin continually saying "Recalculating." Over and over and over again.

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

Just wandering what yall listen to while geocaching whether in the car or out in the field. Any speicific playlist or song(s) ya like to listen to?

I Think anything by CCR is good for it or some celtic music or even nature music.

Usually, my Garmin continually saying "Recalculating." Over and over and over again.

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

Turn left.

Then, turn left.

Then, turn left.

Destination ahead on the right.

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

Turn right.

Then, turn right.

Then, turn right.

Destination ahead on the right.

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

You know, my Tom Tom doesn't say that. It must be a Garmin thing. It does say "turn left....turn left....turn left.... etc. if you veer off it's suggested course.

Oh, I listen to crazy Indie stuff no one's ever heard of. And I subject others to it also.

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

You know, my Tom Tom doesn't say that. It must be a Garmin thing. It does say "turn left....turn left....turn left.... etc. if you veer off it's suggested course.

Oh, I listen to crazy Indie stuff no one's ever heard of. And I subject others to it also.

I've got it set to the female voice with the Australian accent, Karen.

It's never been so fun to get completely and hopelessly lost.

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

i know that song. i call it "Garmin gone crazy". even better if you get the garmin Holiday Pack for voices (Elfried, Dr. Evil). definately a garmin thing cause my PDA with tom tom is pretty silent unless i go through an area with a lot of interconnecting streets close to each other..

usually i listen to whatever is on the radio or whatever i have on memstick at the time (could honestly be about any type of music) while in the car and while walking i listen to The sound of life (or lack there of)

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

but you forgot....

drive 150M than make a U-Turn

or

when possible make a U-Turn

repeated to the end of time if you don't shut it off

anyone got Ozzy as voice for Tom Tom? ...its absolutely priceless lol ( not to be used if kids are present) ...in 200 meter you have reached your [foul] destination...

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

Be careful how you respond... we kept telling our iQue to shut up when kept telling us it was recalculating and guess what! one day it stopped. never said another word. Now we just turn the voice down.

I've got a short playlist of music that (mostly) has a tempo appropriate for a solid marching pace. I use it every time I go walking (i.e., to and from work) or when I go hiking. Usually can't keep the pace when I go geocaching (because I'm hiking up hills and I'm just not in the shape to march up those suckers), tho. But I try.

Orbital: "Sad but True"

Chemical Brothers: "Chemical Beats"

Overseer: "Skylight" (From the "Blade: Trinity" soundtrack)

Pop Will Eat Itself: "Not Now James, We're Busy"

Lady Gaga: "Pokerface" and "Telephone"

John Powell: "Boat Chase" (From soundtrack of "The Italian Job" remake)

Gorillaz: "Dare"

The Crystal Method: "The Winner", "Born Too Slow" and "Wild, Sweet and Cool"

Fluke: "Atom Bomb"

N.E.R.D.: "Rock Star (Jason Nevins remix)"

My Garmin is a handheld and does not talk to me. But I completely agree with J The Goat with regards to self-made Geocaching "music": I wheeze pretty loud, especially on the hike up to (and behind, my Goodness!) the local shrines. It's embarrassing when I have to move aside for the little old indestructible Japanese ladies who've barely broken a sweat.

Alas, my new vehicle doesn't have a CD player, so I either spin the radio knob in an endless and vain search for something worth listening to, or I just listen to the music in my head. There's always something weird playing. I haven't yet joined the ipod world.

Right now, at this minute, I'm listening to a local music artist who also geocaches under the name "atmospherium".

Out in the field I don't listen to anything. I enjoy the sounds of nature.

I normally cache on Saturdays, so in the car is usually Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, or Car Talk. NPR rocks :laughing:

Usually the kids.

Are we there yet?

How much longer?

Are we there yet?

Stop touching me!

:laughing:

I get "Do we have to go home now?" "Can we do just one more?" "Can we do a few more?" And then, when we're shopping, "Are there any caches around here? Can we go geocaching when we're done?" He especially does it when he knows he needs to clean his room or do chores. ;)

As far as music, when in the car we listen to our "adult album alternative" radio station or whatever happens to be in the cd player. Recently it's been David Gray (mine), Muse (son's), A mix tape of Zeppelin and BOC (both of ours), or the Killdares (both). When we're out in nature we listen for quails, the wind, birds, and of course, that specific rattle that terrifies both of us.

The ipod is loaded with mostly Celtic Rock and obscure bands no one has heard of. We listen to it in the car. I have been very successful in getting my daughters (9 & 12) to listen to stuff other than Hannah Montana and the Jonas Bros. Some may claim Irish drinking songs is not a fair trade but disagree.

The ipod is loaded with mostly Celtic Rock and obscure bands no one has heard of. We listen to it in the car. I have been very successful in getting my daughters (9 & 12) to listen to stuff other than Hannah Montana and the Jonas Bros. Some may claim Irish drinking songs is not a fair trade but disagree.

Celtic Rock? Have you ever listened to the Killdares?

A group of Cornish fishermen singing sea shanties just got signed to Universal Music - the first time such an act has been represented by a major label. I'm first in line to get that CD when it releases.

Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Caches To Come

Albert Collins - Travelin' South

Donny Hathaway - Little Travelbug

Louis Jordan - Knock Me A Log

Parliament - Flash Light

James Brown - Cache Machine

Fehlfarben - Hier und jetzt

Kraftwerk - Travelbug Express

Johann Sebastian Cache - Brandenburgische Konzerte

I love music, but have had a hard time incorporating it in to my caching to my liking. I decided early on that I would not listen to my iPod while hiking. Originally because I wanted to hear rattlesnakes, but then I realized that 'hearing' nature is a big part of being in the outdoors.

Also I paperless cache by getting all the descriptions and such in to my iPod, but I also have an AUX hookup in my car for my iPod. One of the first times I tried paperless caching, I quickly realized that I'd jump out of my car to get a cache and realize I'd left my iPod hooked up in the car. Or I'd unhook my iPod and look for a cache and then not hook it back in when getting back in my car. Eventually, the plugging and unplugging of my iPod while caching became a chore and I ditched it to just listen to the FM radio while caching.

So no iPod while hiking and no Ipod while urban caching. I'm still working on the urban caching part. I may have to just rewind the clock and pull out my cd's to listen to while urban caching, because the FM radio is lame.

I mostly listen to rock. Here's some favorites:

311 Incubus, Tool, Modest Mouse, Built To Spill, Muse, Silversun Pickups, Beck, Sublime, Death Cab For Cutie, Dave MAtthews Band, Dredg, Filter,, The Killers, Jimmy Eat World, Jenny Lewis, Queens of the Stone Age, Smashing Pumpkins, The Weakerthans, etc, etc.

And the best local band in Arizona: Shawn Johnson And The Foundation

I listen to the radio when I'm driving but never anywhere else. I have been toying around with putting a bunch of Old Time Radio shows on my cell phone for whe I'm out and about though.

I listened to a few Fibber McGee and Molly episodes the other night when I couldn't sleep. It's pretty interesting how some of the OTR shows hold up over time.

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

that's just the harmless version of the garmin confusion frenzy.

make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn! make a u-turn!

Edited by dfx

Yesterday I combined a skiing and caching trip (well it was mostly skiing) and I was listening mostly to the new Black Rebel Motorcycle Club record, the new Yeasayer, the debut album from Broken Bells and some old Cracker and Fischerspooner. On the 2 hour ride home it was a few Podcacher podcasts.

Today on the trail my iPod was on shuffle. Right now, paging through the roughly two dozen songs I heard I see The Jam, The Pogues, Suzanne Vega, Miles Davis, Roxy Music, Beastie Boys, The Shins, Husker Du, Madeleine Peyroux, Ray Lamontagne, Altan, Johnny Cash, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Cake, Kaiser Chiefs, Nick Drake, Andre Previn playing Mozart, Radiohead, Thao and the Get Down Stay Down, Bright Eyes, The Arcade Fire, Van Cliburn playing Rachmaninov and Iggy Pop.

I have almost 10,000 songs in my iPod and the songs cover a very wide spectrum of music. Country, rap, punk, 80's new wave, indie, classical, Celtic, jazz, big bands, folk, techno, you name it. Most of the time I just put it on suffle and let it surprise me.

I normally cache on Saturdays, so in the car is usually Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, or Car Talk. NPR rocks :laughing:

Love Car Talk! Click and Clack rule. I listen to the podcast.

In the car, usually a classic rock station.

Out of the car, I listen to the sounds of the birds. The squirrels rustling in the leaves. The breeze rattling the branches. The gurgling creek water.

If it's an urban cache, I listen to the sounds of the traffic, the conversations of nearby muggles, the distant sirens.

I never understood why anyone would wear headphones (or ear buds) while outdoors.

I have almost 10,000 songs in my iPod and the songs cover a very wide spectrum of music. Country, rap, punk, 80's new wave, indie, classical, Celtic, jazz, big bands, folk, techno, you name it. Most of the time I just put it on suffle and let it surprise me.

Ditto - I even have some show tunes too. :P

No opera though. :lol:

Ditto - I even have some show tunes too. :P

No opera though. :lol:

No opera here either - or death metal. Probably the only two genres of music I just can't take. The local classical radio station plays opera once in a while and I can't run to the dial fast enough to change the station.

Metal I'm good with, it's the death metal bands who all have vocalists who sound like the Cookie Monster that I can't take. Egads!

Metal I'm good with, it's the death metal bands who all have vocalists who sound like the Cookie Monster that I can't take. Egads!

:lol:<_<:P<_<:P

One of my boyfriends in high school was/is a huge death metal fan. I still make fun of him for it. "Why does it sound like he's singing into a jar?"

Can't go wromg with CCR or the other stuff on my classic rock station. Celtic is good as long as it isn't that silly new age stuff. I like Rich Mullins & Casting Crowns too. But sometimes just hearing the quite is best.

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

For us that is followed by the other yooper hollering,

"I KNOW what I'm doing!"

Jill sighs and then keeps up with her "recalculating...."

It is a constant battle with them, I swear she enjoys it! :)

trance music :)

That's what I'm talking about. I stream DI.FM's vocal trance channel onto my phone, connected into my car sterio. Or, play some Generation Trance shows from my I-pod.

Depending on the time of day, if it is on I listen to Love Line with Dr. Drew. I find that show super funny. Or sometimes Sports Talk radio.

I never understood why anyone would wear headphones (or ear buds) while outdoors.

I agree. I always want to hear who or what is near me. I like to know what is getting ready to eat or take a bit out of me :)

I would agree with this, but when I am out running, I often like some music to help distract me from the bordom, and it can also help me keep up my pace. I like to listen to 2 Unlimited's "Twilight Zone" at the end of a run. The chearing crowd sound effects realy help me give a good ending kick. The last 400m or so I realy turn up the speed with that.

I realy don't understand kids hanging out in a group, all with earbuds in. How do you socialize like that? Maybe they don't? Maybe that is why they all look so unhappy?

I normally cache on Saturdays, so in the car is usually Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, or Car Talk. NPR rocks :)

Love Car Talk! Click and Clack rule. I listen to the podcast.

Yes. A perfect weekend caching trip includes Car Talk, Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me, Prairie Home Companion, and This American Life interspersed with a cache or two, a nice walk and maybe a waterfall.

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

im doing the same thing

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

Recalculating.

I have heard of the band but have not heard their music. I'm sure we'll catch them some day at a concert/festival. Bands in heavy rotation on the iPod. Great Big Sea, Enter the Haggis, Gaelic Storm, Saw Doctors and Carbon Leaf (although they aren't really Celtic, they get lumped in and they do play many Irish festivals). There are some other Celtic bands that get a little play on the iPod.

I have heard of the band but have not heard their music. I'm sure we'll catch them some day at a concert/festival. Bands in heavy rotation on the iPod. Great Big Sea, Enter the Haggis, Gaelic Storm, Saw Doctors and Carbon Leaf (although they aren't really Celtic, they get lumped in and they do play many Irish festivals). There are some other Celtic bands that get a little play on the iPod.

How about The Skels? I know one of the members. They are way good.