Determining Elevation Gain from Tracks

Trester

What type of file is your 'GPS track'?

If it's GPX it'd be pretty easy to work out the elevation gain, as each saved point should have an <ele> and </ele> tag, which shows the elevation for that particular point.

Whether there's a program which gives you just the elevation gain I don't know, but I could quickly knock up a script on my Linux box and tell you your elevation gain if you want...

EDIT: Alternatively, use something to convert the GPX file into a comma-separated value file (CSV) and import that into Excel. Then you can use the min() and max() functions to work out your elevation gain (or any other function you fancy!)

Edited by tiiiim

As long as it's a compatible unit, TopoFusion will do this. Track elevation gain will likely differ from that reported by a barometric altimeter though. My 60CSx has always been much more accurate with the latter as opposed to tracklog-derived elevation.

What he said :laughing:

I too use TopoFusion for the track analysis of the sort you're looking to do. As mentioned, GPS computed altitude isn't particularly precise, with the error being somewhere between 1.5 times and double the error you experience horizontally. It can add up significantly over the course of a hike. The barometric filtered units tend to be quite aq bit more accurate in this area.

EDIT: Alternatively, use something to convert the GPX file into a comma-separated value file (CSV) and import that into Excel. Then you can use the min() and max() functions to work out your elevation gain (or any other function you fancy!)

GPSbabel will import the track, and save it as a "Universal CSV With Field Structure in the First Line".

Import this into Excel, apply this formula down the column, and sum the results to get elevation gain.

=IF(D3>D2,D3-D2,0)

I recommend SportTracks. It will give you statistics for each hike, and compile them for a period of time, or location. You will see distance, elevation, speed, your tracks on a map, etc. Depending on your GPSr, you may have to convert your track to GPX format. This is easily done by several methods.

It uses the elevation from your track log files, computed by your GPSr. Most GPSrs do a good job of elevation, but if you think that they may need improving, try the utility at GPS Visualizer. It will replace your track file elevations with those from topo maps. (It may not work in all areas.)

I just completed a number of hikes in Chile & Argentina that I would really like to know the elevation gain for. Does anyone know of a program that you can calculate the elevation gain from by using the GPS tracks?

Thanks

I'm happy with garminconnect.com You can manually upload GPS tracks from non-Garmin GPS receivers too.