New GPS 60CSX or Oregon 450?

asd03

Hello all, my wife and I have been geocacheing off and on for about 2 years but this summer we want to really have at it. We currently use a Garmin GPSMap 60 (the green unit) and an iPhone with the app. From what I have read my older unit is not as accurate on an overcast day or in the woods as the newer units such as the ones I listed in the topic. From what I understand mine does not include a "high sensitivity antenna" that the newer ones use.

That being the case my budget is around $300 and I found the 60CSX for $300 and the 450 for $320ish. We don't need street routing as I have a Nuvi 200 for that. We generally follow the direction of the arrow on the 60 and I match that up with the avaliable streets displayed on the Nuvi 200 to get to the cache, I know some of the newer units could allow me street routing to the POI but we consider working out how to get there part of the fun so that will save me some money.

Also since we have the iPhone app we generally use that to fine caches around us and enter the cords on the GPS. With the new unit I plan to load a PQ for the generally area we are going to cache in, then use the iPhone to find a cache around us and find that cache in the new GPS from the loaded PQ and head for it. Does this seem like a good plan?

That being said, I think my best options in that price range are the 60CSX or the 450. Of those which do you think would serve me best with the information above? Went enter field notes and read descriptions on the iPhone so I guess I am more interested in accuracy than user interface on the GPSr.

Any advice is appreciated.

Hello all, my wife and I have been geocacheing off and on for about 2 years but this summer we want to really have at it. We currently use a Garmin GPSMap 60 (the green unit) and an iPhone with the app. From what I have read my older unit is not as accurate on an overcast day or in the woods as the newer units such as the ones I listed in the topic. From what I understand mine does not include a "high sensitivity antenna" that the newer ones use.

That being the case my budget is around $300 and I found the 60CSX for $300 and the 450 for $320ish. We don't need street routing as I have a Nuvi 200 for that. We generally follow the direction of the arrow on the 60 and I match that up with the avaliable streets displayed on the Nuvi 200 to get to the cache, I know some of the newer units could allow me street routing to the POI but we consider working out how to get there part of the fun so that will save me some money.

Also since we have the iPhone app we generally use that to fine caches around us and enter the cords on the GPS. With the new unit I plan to load a PQ for the generally area we are going to cache in, then use the iPhone to find a cache around us and find that cache in the new GPS from the loaded PQ and head for it. Does this seem like a good plan?

That being said, I think my best options in that price range are the 60CSX or the 450. Of those which do you think would serve me best with the information above? Went enter field notes and read descriptions on the iPhone so I guess I am more interested in accuracy than user interface on the GPSr.

Not much, if any, differance in accuracy between the 60CSx and Oregon 450. Big differance is the Oregon 450 allows paperless caching, touch screen interface, 3-D compass, and larger screen. The 60CSx is a proven unit that tends to be the industry standard for consumer handheld units. Even though it's screen is smaller than the Oregon 450 it is brighter. With the Oregon 450 you really don't need your iPhone for caching, since the 450 will have all of the information you need about a cache. I have an Oregon 450 and think it's a super unit for geocaching.

OldA'sFan

Not much, if any, differance in accuracy between the 60CSx and Oregon 450. Big differance is the Oregon 450 allows paperless caching, touch screen interface, 3-D compass, and larger screen. The 60CSx is a proven unit that tends to be the industry standard for consumer handheld units. Even though it's screen is smaller than the Oregon 450 it is brighter. With the Oregon 450 you really don't need your iPhone for caching, since the 450 will have all of the information you need about a cache. I have an Oregon 450 and think it's a super unit for geocaching.

OldA'sFan

Thanks for the reply, what is a 3D compass?

Thanks for the reply, what is a 3D compass?

I believe that poster meant 3 axis compass. Oregon 450t has a built-in 3-axis tilt-compensated electronic compass, which shows your heading even when you’re standing still, without having to hold the unit level.

Oh cool, so to confirm the 450 will show an accurate heading even if I am not moving?

While the 60csx is still a great GPS receiver, I think it's price point is too high considering the extra features you can get in the newer models. The paperless caching the 450 provides is easily worth the extra $20ish but add in the 3 axis compass and touch screen and IMHO it's a no-brainer especially if the primary use is geocaching.

While the 60csx is still a great GPS receiver, I think it's price point is too high considering the extra features you can get in the newer models. The paperless caching the 450 provides is easily worth the extra $20ish but add in the 3 axis compass and touch screen and IMHO it's a no-brainer especially if the primary use is geocaching.

I am in agreement with Pax42 on this. I have a 60csx that I have had for around 3 years and I paid $300 for it then. If I had the choice you do, I would go for the 450. There are many sites that you can visit to get free maps for the unit. I wouldn't go for the "T" model because of the free maps.

Edited for spelling and to add: The 450 holds a few thousand caches where the 60csx holds 500. You could change the caches to POI's and have more but will not have the cache logo.

Edited by ao318

OK thank you very much for all of this information. I am leaning toward the 450, but I do have one concern and that is about durbility. I would assume that it is water proof but what about shock impacts, if I drop the thing on pavement would it break? It just looks a little more delicate as compared to the 60CSX.

i have a oregon 300 (practically the same case) and the first thing i noticed on getting it out of the box was just how solid the construction was im certain it could survive many drops without issue, the screen is embedded to reduce the chance of something hitting it but as stated im sure if it was dropped onto the right shape rock it could break the screen, all honesty though its not a major concern of mine as the rest of the construction is so rock solid