Geocache Giveaways

gpsgeology

I have begun to quickly scan for fishing line on trees or brush upon reaching the GZ. In our flooding area, people tend to hang caches on trees or plants.

While the cache may be on the other side of the tree, the fact that the line is showing from all angles has been a great clue. Granted, the foliage is not really out yet, so this clue will become less useful later.

Anyone else notice "clues" before they actually see the container?

Steve.

Till recently I looked for tracks in the snow.

;)

Did they go around in circles for a while then all head off to one place and then straight back away again?

Some kind of a shelf - bridge, natural rock, stile, fallen tree.

Sticks piled up neatly, all lined up.

A heap of leaves with a bit of camo bag sticking out.

A hole in a tree away from the main path.

Some string attached to a branch disappearing into a hole in a tree!

The little nano shape on the silhouette of the railings at dusk.

I look for paths made by other cachers, piles of sticks or rocks, that sort of thing. If I'm really not seeing anything right away, I try to imagine myself hiding the cache and decide where I'd put it. Usually does the trick.

Sometimes my dog sniffs them out which is helpful.

I have begun to quickly scan for fishing line on trees or brush upon reaching the GZ. In our flooding area, people tend to hang caches on trees or plants.

While the cache may be on the other side of the tree, the fact that the line is showing from all angles has been a great clue. Granted, the foliage is not really out yet, so this clue will become less useful later.

Anyone else notice "clues" before they actually see the container?

Steve.

Great question Steve. I have been honing my hunting skills recently (2 years off) and found myself overwhelmed in a National Forest the other day. Then it dawned on me....."If I were to hide a cache is this location what would I pick". Mind you, there were a gazillion trees in the area but what caught my eye was this particular tree that split and looked unique. No hints or descriptions alluded me to this. Sure enough, the owner was gracious enough to narrow down this one tree in spite of the gazillion surrounding it.

Also, last week I looked all over for this one crafty cache and then looked for signs of activity. I would not have found it inside of a tree had I not seen the scrape marks at the trunk from others trying to scale it.

My friend started "the hunt" 2 weeks ago and she becomes highly frustrated making snarky remarks like "But it says it should be RIGHT HERE" without using any creative ways of sniffing out the spot. I think one's intuition should fill in the gaps when our GPS leaves degrees of accuracy withing 24 or so feet.

It's a HUNT! Perhaps that's why fishermen say they are going FISHING and not CATCHING.

:)

Cheers!

tupperware caches often come out well with a strong led torch at night :)

That is a good one. A lot of camo doesn't work with a flashlight at night.

I very often find the cache under the sticks piled up against the fallen tree. That seems to be the most common (in tree-ed areas) around here. Other places I have been, it is under the pile of rocks Often the piles are natural, but still, a pile.

Piles of rocks, sticks, leaves etc that don't seem to have happened by natural.

Logs or stumps that are large enough to be rotted out and hollow inside.

Any sort of naturally hidden spot like a rock ledge, two tree trunks that are close together, dense bushes/shrubs, etc.

If it is a newer cache, and the cachers' trail hasn't quite formed yet, I look for broken or bent blades of grass. We did find branches with oregon berries on....under a pine tree. That was a giveaway. We try to re-hide in as natural manner as possible. If it is damp, before I start stomping around, I look for footprints - partial or otherwise! Otherwise....all of the above.