trouble with gps unit?

genzod

just started geocaching,i have a etrex vista hcx,well it started out fine in my jeep,heading to the area of cache,then when i started hike the arrow was pointing me in the wrong direction,like i was right on course,then it tells me to make a hard left,then it would just flip all over the place,but its steady when driving?what am i doing wrong,thanks

just started geocaching,i have a etrex vista hcx,well it started out fine in my jeep,heading to the area of cache,then when i started hike the arrow was pointing me in the wrong direction,like i was right on course,then it tells me to make a hard left,then it would just flip all over the place,but its steady when driving?what am i doing wrong,thanks

I have the same gps and that happens to me a lot too. I found that it helps to hold the gps level instead of straight in the air and if the arrow won't turn as you turn it helps to be walking so the gps can update it's coordinates. Hope that helps

If you are referring to it jumping about while you are walking...

1. You are walking too slowly

2. You are watching your GPSr -- that is why you are walking too slowly

You need to move at a fairly brisk pace, not running, but not just plodding along, either!

If that doesn't help, try calibrating and keeping it away from metals.

I don't have one of these and don't think I ever will.... I use old gps's like the legend and V and a 76 map every once in a while. All with plain old compass that only work when you are moving. I see my buddy using his 76csx or what ever it is, and doing the turn around dance a bunch of times to calibrate it. Looks funny.

Is there a way to turn off the compass? or stop using that screen and do the over head map view zoomed in. You should be able to tell what direction it is and as you walk to it, it should show you getting closer to it.

Hope I helped a little.

<snip>or stop using that screen and do the over head map view zoomed in. You should be able to tell what direction it is and as you walk to it, it should show you getting closer to it.

Hope I helped a little.

This works great on our PN-40, it should with yours, also.

That's about the only way my old GPS12 works.

You have to recalibrate the compass after every battery change. The Vista will also do this if the batteries are too low. Start fresh, calibrate and you should be good to go.

Edit: keep in mind that when you get to ground zero there is a limited amount of accuracy. Try to get close as possible then put the gps away and start looking. If you try to follow the arrow everywhere when you are that close you will be doing what we call the drunken bee dance.

Oh, and welcome to the addiction. ;)

Edited by BlueDeuce

If you are referring to it jumping about while you are walking...

1. You are walking too slowly

2. You are watching your GPSr -- that is why you are walking too slowly

You need to move at a fairly brisk pace, not running, but not just plodding along, either!

If that doesn't help, try calibrating and keeping it away from metals.

The compass on a eTrex Vista HCx works while standing still, you don't need to be moving.

yes,thanks for the answers,i got it working good now,i just look at the map screen with distance to cache,then i walk a little faster and it gets me to 10 foot,then i look with my eyes,found my first 2 caches today,im loving this !!!!

The Vista can be set up so it uses the magnetic compass below a certain speed and the sats to determine direction of travel above a certain speed. I forget what the default setting is but it is probably 3 mph.

Because it works when you walk faster I'm guessing that your unit is using the sats. When you slow down and are using the magnetic compass it's not working properly. Unlike units without magnetic compasses, the Vista should work at any speed, even standing still.

Is your compass calibrated? It needs to be calibrated every time you change batteries and once in a while in between, if it's been sitting unused too long.

Check your owners manual for the section on how to calibrate your compass.