Problem Sending geocaches to Oregon 300

My husband has an Oregon 300 which I seldom use as it always give me trouble loading the unit. It often wont boot backup after mass storage mode and sometimes the pages load blank. Typically we use GSAK to load caches to the unit. This past weekend I set a filter and loaded up the Oregon for a day of caching with a friend. As we spent the day out on the trails just under half of the caches I loaded were not in there. When I got home I checked GSAK and yup they were there. I used the Colorado export macro in this instance but its happened with the send option in GSAK as well.

I just ran a pocket query with 24 caches it in it. Rather than use GSAK this time, I just put the query straight onto the Oregon and only 20 of the 24 loaded. I have read the wiki pages thoroughly and many people reported this was fixed in an earlier software release we are running 3.60, GPS software version 3.70 (as showing on the about screen). I've heard others say similar things. Its frustrating to get out in the field and find out you are missing things, its also time consuming to check each and every one. Does anybody have any suggestions or a work around to this problem?

Thanks in advance

you say that your husband uses the unit too? is there any chance that he has been geocaching and found these caches that you are looking for, caches that are already found wont appear when you search for geocaches, goto the geocache menu and select show found see if the missing caches are potentially in there

Is it missing from the unit, or is it just not showing up because the Garmin units would only show caches within a certain distance from where you are?

Try searching by name to see if they show up.

Alternatively, check to see if the number of caches exceeded the limit of 200 GPX / 2000 geocaches. It won't hurt to do a chkdsk on the Garmin drive as well.

My husband doesn't have time for caching so thats not it but a good point to clarify. I checked the show found and nothing there. I usually use my 60Csx but sometimes I like the paperless feature when not caching close to home.

I thought it was a distance thing to but I cannot search them by name. I cleared out all the waypoints, tracks, geocaches etc and set the unit back to factory settings before sending this last 24 and still only 20 sent. It shouldn't have exceed the 2000 if empty but how could you tell? Could you also explain the chkdsk thing?

Edited by Treknschmidt

Since you're using a Windows version, open My Computer, right click on the Garmin triangle, select properties, go to the Tools tab, and you should see a button for you to check your drive.

When you said you cannot search them by name, you mean when you tried to search, they don't show up?

If you cleared everything you shouldn't reach the file or geocache limit with only the GPX with the 24 geocaches.

It would probably be a good thing to see what is actually in your Oregon - both current and PAST information.

Connect via USB. Open up "My Computer". Look for your Garmin icon. Your computer will see it as just another disk drive.

Navigate to the Garmin folder. Below that, navigate to the GPX folder. Tell us what you see there (files and approximate sizes).

Now, navigate one level deeper into the Current folder. Delete the gpx file that is probably there.

Let us know what you find in the GPX folder.

The scan was successful but that was with micro SD card in it. I can take it out do it again.

In the GPX folder there is the one with 20 caches that is 185kb and there are 4 others (the missing ones I sent manually from GC.com lsitings) they are about 15kb each. In the current file there is one labeled current, its 153kb and one labelled position that is 1kb.

I appreciate the help you are providing.

The scan was successful but that was with micro SD card in it. I can take it out do it again.

In the GPX folder there is the one with 20 caches that is 185kb and there are 4 others (the missing ones I sent manually from GC.com lsitings) they are about 15kb each. In the current file there is one labeled current, its 153kb and one labelled position that is 1kb.

I appreciate the help you are providing.

OK - I hate to put you through this small bit of pain, but I really want this to work for you, and it's tough working by remote control.

Please open up that GPX file that is 185kb ON your Oregon with Wordpad or similar cheezy word processor and count to see whether there are 20 or 24 caches in there. It will be kind of messy at first, but once you see how things are constructed, it will go quickly. I want to see if GSAK only sent 20 (indicating a filter is enabled) or it sent 24 and there's a problem with the Oregon being able to see 4 of them.

Edited by ecanderson
OK - I hate to put you through this small bit of pain, but I really want this to work for you, and it's tough working by remote control.

Please open up that GPX file that is 185kb ON your Oregon with Wordpad or similar cheezy word processor and count to see whether there are 20 or 24 caches in there. It will be kind of messy at first, but once you see how things are constructed, it will go quickly. I want to see if GSAK only sent 20 (indicating a filter is enabled) or it sent 24 and there's a problem with the Oregon being able to see 4 of them.

Yeah, it'll be so much simpler if you can show us what is in the GPX, but the Groundspeak TOU specifically prohibits sharing GPX files...

AHA, you are onto something. I checked the GPX file in wordpad and all 24 are there. Now just so I'm clear I did not load this query using GSAK I put the GPX file straight onto the Garmin drive through USB connection. Does the Oregon have some sort of internal filter? I noticed the 4 missing ones are 3-Earthcaches and 1-event. Oddly enough the 4 missing ones are the last 4 listed in this file.